Re: Totally bullshit subject - Microsoft does not manufacture TPMs. Re: How To Get Into A BitLocker-encrypted Computer

an...@anonymous.com

Aug 24, 2021, 8:30:03 PM8/24/21
In article <3lj0igd0lm61murlt...@4ax.com>

> Found this on the Bruce Schneier site.
>
> https://www.schneier.com/crypto-gram/archives/2021/0815.html#cg17
>
> Defeating Microsoft’s Trusted Platform Module
>
> [2021.08.09] This is a really interesting story

except it isn't so interesting when one examines the facts.

"OEMs implement the TPM as a component in a trusted computing
platform, such as a PC, tablet, or phone. Trusted computing
platforms use the TPM to support privacy and security scenarios that
software alone cannot achieve."

"The Trusted Computing Group (TCG) is the nonprofit organization
that publishes and maintains the TPM specification. The TCG exists
to develop, define, and promote vendor-neutral, global industry
standards that support a hardware-based root of trust for
interoperable trusted computing platforms. The TCG also publishes
the TPM specification as the international standard ISO/IEC 11889,
using the Publicly Available Specification Submission Process that
the Joint Technical Committee 1 defines between the International
Organization for Standardization (ISO) and the International
Electrotechnical Commission (IEC)."

From the article,

"We received a Lenovo laptop preconfigured with the standard
security stack for this organization."

"The SSD was full disk encrypted (FDE) using Microsoft’s BitLocker,
secured via Trusted Platform Module (TPM)"

So the story here is that the TPM was breeched, not so much the OS
that configured to use it.

Harry's reading comprehension deficiency noted.