Credit Card Change in Quicken?

char...@email.com

Sep 12, 2013, 6:38:38 PM9/12/13
I have a bit of a problem - I was notified by my credit card company
that my card had been compromised and they needed to cancel the
current card # and issue me a new one. That is underway!

But, I need to change things in Quicken 2012 to the new card number
without losing all my credit card history, etc.

I use Quicken Bill Pay to pay my credit bills and to download
transactions from the credit card vendor, so I have a credit card
account in Quicken, a credit card payee, etc. So, how do I change
current info in Quicken to reflect the new card number with losing all
my history and having to start a new account? The credit card vendor
is the same, just a number change!

Thanks for any insights and any points in the direction of a solution.

charliec

Porter Smith

Sep 12, 2013, 7:13:02 PM9/12/13
char...@email.com wrote in news:k1g439913dqaf1peivpfnu7ntukafstooo@
4ax.com:
When that happenned to me I did the following:

I renamed the account from "XYZ Visa" to "XYZ Visa - Cancelled", and
deactivated the online services.

Then I ran a One Step Update.

Then I used the normal "Add a new account" process to create new account
with the old name ("XYZ Visa") amd the new account number.

The next few times I ran OSU, some of the charges that were pending on
the "Cancelled" account were cleared on the new one so I had to manually
delete them from the "Cancelled" account. Within a week everything was
cleared and I set its display options to "Hidden". It still has all the
history.

Arthur Conan Doyle

Sep 12, 2013, 10:34:53 PM9/12/13
Porter Smith <my_por...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>When that happenned to me I did the following:
>
>I renamed the account from "XYZ Visa" to "XYZ Visa - Cancelled", and
>deactivated the online services.
>
>Then I ran a One Step Update.
>
>Then I used the normal "Add a new account" process to create new account
>with the old name ("XYZ Visa") amd the new account number.
>
>The next few times I ran OSU, some of the charges that were pending on
>the "Cancelled" account were cleared on the new one so I had to manually
>delete them from the "Cancelled" account. Within a week everything was
>cleared and I set its display options to "Hidden". It still has all the
>history.

Above is the cleanest way. An alternate approach that I used was to deactivate
the online option for the account, edit the account number to the new card,
reactivate the account for online transactions and link appropriately when
asked. As Porter mentioned, there may be some duplicate transactions and credits
that are easily dealt with manually.

char...@email.com

Sep 13, 2013, 12:02:20 AM9/13/13
Thanks for the replies - another question - what about the Online
Payee that is setup for the account - can I just change it to the new
number or do I need to create a new Payee?

Porter Smith

Sep 13, 2013, 8:33:37 AM9/13/13
char...@email.com wrote in

> Thanks for the replies - another question - what about the Online
> Payee that is setup for the account - can I just change it to the new
> number or do I need to create a new Payee?

I don't recall what I did, but don't think Q will let you change the
account number for an Online Payee. (I just checked the payee for my Visa
card and it has the replacement accoubt number). When I open a Payee the
account number field isn't editable.

char...@email.com

Sep 13, 2013, 2:23:06 PM9/13/13
Thanks for the reply - will probably just setup another Payee.

Andrew

Sep 15, 2013, 10:48:54 AM9/15/13
Hi there! Why do you say "Above is the cleanest way."? You other
suggestion, simply to deactivate the account, put the new # on it, and
then reactivate is FAR more 'clean' as it preserves the other credit
history and you're not creating new accounts. I've done this several
times with my CITI card keeping the same account across multiple (at
least 3) card numbers.

The duplicate transactions was a problem in the sense that the 'old'
card number had outstanding transactions 'moved' to the new account that
I had already manually entered into Q. Those movements had to be
manually deleted since they were already there.

But this process works (at least, it has for me.). The key indeed is to
DEACTIVATE online access before changing the card number and then
reactivate after doing so.

Good luck!

Regards -

- Andrew

Arthur Conan Doyle

Sep 15, 2013, 2:43:36 PM9/15/13
Andrew <And...@invalid.com> wrote:

>Why do you say "Above is the cleanest way."? You other
>suggestion, simply to deactivate the account, put the new # on it, and
>then reactivate is FAR more 'clean' as it preserves the other credit
>history and you're not creating new accounts.

I suppose if you wanted to know what card/account number a particular
transaction was associated with. You may also see a number of debit/credit
transactions in the same account as individual charges are moved to the new
account.

I've never done it that way - just changing the account number works for me.

jerryk...@gmail.com

May 1, 2017, 10:33:32 AM5/1/17
Apparently, this has been made easier in recent versions of Quicken. There is no need to create a new account. The following steps worked for me in Quicken 2016 3.5.5 for Macintosh.

• Select the target account from the left sidebar.
• Click in the menu: Accounts > Settings. A window will open.
• Look at *Account Number* and verify that it is the last four digits of your old account number.
• Click button *Change Connection Type*. (Not very intuitive!) A list of banks will appear.
• Choose your bank from the list.
• Click *Continue*. After 30 seconds or so, it will list your accounts. Apparently, it gets them from the bank.
• Find the account with the desired new number, and in that row change the *Action* to *Link*.
• Click *Continue* and wait another 30 seconds. It will get transactions. Probably there will be zero new transactions because this is a new card.
• Click *Finish*.
• Click Accounts > Settings and verify that the *Account Number* is the last four digits of your new card number.