confused about "Exlude Internal Transfers" in Quicken 2003

Joseph O'Brien

Aug 12, 2003, 8:09:28 PM8/12/03
I am having trouble understanding how Quicken 2003 Deluxe determines
which transfers are internal or external. When I choose to "Exclude
Internal Transfers" on my budget reports, Credit Card A shows up,
but Credit Card B does not. I'm pretty sure I have both of them set
up correctly as Credit Cards (I used the wizard). Is this just a
fluke or is there some obscure preference I'm missing? (Oh yes, here
it is: I seem to have checked the "Quicken Drives You Insane" box
under General Preferences... oops).

Thank you,

Joseph

Fred Smith

Aug 12, 2003, 8:38:19 PM8/12/03
Customize the report and click on the Accounts tab.

Every account checked is internal to the report; any account unchecked is
external.

--
Regards,
Fred

"Joseph O'Brien" <obrie...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

John Pollard

Aug 12, 2003, 9:04:27 PM8/12/03

First of all, there is a difference between "accounts" and
"categories"; though an account can be a category. If you want
the "account" excluded from the report, uncheck it under
"Selected Accounts" on the "Accounts" tab in "Customize". If
you want that account's "[category]" excluded (specifically)
from the report, uncheck it in the "Select to Include" list
(when the "Category" radio button is on) on the "Include" tab in
"Customize"

The "Exclude Internal Transfers" option is a more broad brush
approach to dealing with those "categories" that are "accounts".
Excluding "internal" categories excludes categories when both
halves of a transfer would otherwise have been eligible for the
report (it allows all other transfers, ie, those where only one
half of the transfer is otherwise eligible). The net effect of
those (internal transfer) transactions on the report would have
been zero - both halves of a transfer always net to zero (though
they might have caused some sub-totals to differ).

--
John Pollard
j underscore pollard at mindspring dot com

John Pollard

Aug 12, 2003, 9:11:04 PM8/12/03
John Pollard wrote:
> Excluding "internal" categories excludes categories when both
> halves of a transfer would otherwise have been eligible for
the
> report ....

When he should have said:

Excluding "internal transfers" excludes transfer transactions
when both
halves of the transfer (both transactions) would otherwise have
been
eligible for the report ....

Joseph O'Brien

Aug 14, 2003, 9:07:46 PM8/14/03
John,

Thanks; I had forgotten there about Category vs. Account. I took a
second look and realized the rouge Category ("Credit Card A") was one
I had just paid off, closed, and therefore hidden. While I had it
checked under Categories, I did not have it checked under Accounts.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I suppose the following is what happened:

- "Visa" was checked under Category, but not Account.
- "Master Card" was checked in BOTH Category and Account.
- By choosing to "Exclude Internal Transfers," "Master Card" was
excluded from the report since it registered $100 as a Transfer TO the
Master Card account in addition to a $100 Transfer FROM the Checking
account (the From amount is registered in the Master Card account).
- HOWEVER, by choosing to "Exclude Internal Transfers," Visa was
INCLUDED in the report since it only showed at $200 transfer TO Visa.
If I had selected Visa under the Account settings, it would also have
registered a $200 Transfer FROM Checking.

OOOOOOOOOoooooooooh. I get it now! :) That would be the same reason
that my house payments always show up a little short in the reports!
If I uncheck the Mortgage Account, that mysterious "FROM Checking"
line at the bottom of my reports will go away (let me check...... yup!
It worked!).

John, thank you so much for your suggestions over the last few weeks.
Everything is starting to make sense now. I appreciate your help and
patience. I guess Quicken isn't so bad afterall :)

Thank you,

Joseph O'Brien