Community Discussion: Rearrange Accounts in Separate Account Section

John Pollard

Mar 18, 2023, 1:56:54 PM3/18/23
Community Discussion: Rearrange Accounts in Separate Account Section

Found at: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7918056/rearrange-accounts-in-separate-account-section

As the discussion subject says, the original poster wants to be able to "rearrange accounts" in the "Separate" account section (in the Quicken Account Bar, I assume). The op seems to believe that there is no ability to do that already: fortunately for him, he's wrong.

Background:
1.) Quicken accounts can only be rearranged WITHIN their Quicken Account Group/Subgroup. So checking accounts can ONLY be rearranged within their Quicken Account Subgroup (Checking): A Quicken checking account can not be displayed with (rearranged with) Quicken investment accounts, nor even with Quicken savings accounts. But ALL Quicken accounts can be rearranged within their designated Quicken Subgroup (*).

2.) There is no Quicken Account Subgroup, "Separate": accounts appearing in the "Separate" section of the Quicken Account Bar retain their original account Subgroup ("Account Type", seen in the Account "Edit Account Details" dialog). So a Quicken "checking" account remains in the Quicken "checking" account Subgroup, even when is is designated as "Separate".

The bottom line is that every account in the "Separate" section of the Quicken Account Bar can be rearranged (in relation to other accounts in the "Separate" section) just as if the account were not "Separate".

To do that:
- Go to the Account List
- Select the account to be "rearranged"
- Click the Up (or Down) arrow until the account has been moved to the desired position.

If the account that was rearranged is a "Separate" account, and the Account List "move" changed the positional relationship between the "rearranged" account and any other "Separate" account that is part of the same Quicken Subgroup, then that new positional relationship will be reflected in the "Separate" section of the Account Bar.

Conclusion: No new Quicken capability is necessary to satisfy the wish expressed in the Community Discussion.

[(*) If the Quicken account to be rearranged can be (and is) "displayed" (by changing its "Intent") in a different Subgroup than its default Subgroup, then it can also (and ONLY) be "rearranged" within that alternate Subgroup. So a Quicken Checking account displayed in the Investment Subgroup can only be rearranged within the Investment Subgroup]

John Pollard

Mar 18, 2023, 2:14:29 PM3/18/23
On Saturday, March 18, 2023 at 12:56:54 PM UTC-5, John Pollard wrote:
> Community Discussion: Rearrange Accounts in Separate Account Section
> Found at: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7918056/rearrange-accounts-in-separate-account-section

> ... every account in the "Separate" section of the Quicken Account Bar can be rearranged (in relation to other accounts in the "Separate" section)
> just as if the account were not "Separate".
>
> To do that:
> - Go to the Account List
> - Select the account to be "rearranged"
> - Click the Up (or Down) arrow until the account has been moved to the desired position.

I forgot to mention that, since the ability to "rearrange" accounts was first introduced (long ago), an improved mechanism was added to Quicken.

To utilize that new method for rearranging accounts:
- Go to the Account List
- Click the Options button (lower left)
- Select "Rearrange accounts" in the resulting dropdown (*)

You can use drag and drop to "move" accounts in that dialog (with the same limitations as the older method). And you can rearrange the major Account Groups (such as "Banking" and "Investing") in the Account Bar - which will also rearrange those Account Groups within the "Separate" section of the Account Bar.

[ (*) You could also use "Alphabetize accounts" in the same Options dropdown to "rearrange accounts".]

Andrew

Mar 20, 2023, 12:03:53 PM3/20/23
I remember when the rearrangement facility was added. Very useful to be
able to alphabetically have your accounts named, but yet have the one or
two that you use the most at the top of each list.
Regards -

- Andrew

Ken Blake

Mar 20, 2023, 12:14:18 PM3/20/23
On Mon, 20 Mar 2023 12:03:50 -0400, Andrew <and...@invalid.com> wrote:

>On 03/18/23 2:14 PM, John Pollard wrote:
Yes, but as far as I know, there's no way to move an account in a
category that's not in the top category to the top of the whole list.
Am I right? I'd like to do that if there's a way.

Andrew

Mar 20, 2023, 3:21:45 PM3/20/23
I think that's correct and John can advise if I'm wrong here.

But for me, the thing is that my checking account at my primary
institution is what I wanted to be at the top of the BANKING checking
section which physical name collates below some of my other checking
accounts at other FIs. And note, that under BANKING are three what I
will call sub-categories (checking/savings/credit cards seem to be the
delineation) and I believe you can't move from even one of those into
another sub-category. But that's ok (And if fact, desirable to keep
them separate), since I also have my primary credit card at the top of
those sublists as well.

John Pollard

Mar 26, 2023, 3:10:57 PM3/26/23
On Monday, March 20, 2023 at 2:21:45 PM UTC-5, Andrew wrote:
> On 03/20/23 12:14 PM, Ken Blake wrote:
I called them "subgroups".
In my hierarchy, an Account type of "Checking" is by default in the subgroup
"Spending" within the "Banking" group.

> and I believe you can't move from even one of those into another sub-category.

You can change the "subgroup" of some accounts by changing their account "Intent"
(found on the "Display Options" tab of the Edit Account Details dialog.

You can, for example,
change the "intent" of an "Account type" of Checking from "Spending" to "Savings,
and of an "Account type" of Savings from "Savings" to "Spending".
You can change the "Intent" of an "Account type" of Checking to the subgroup "Investing" or "Asset" .
And you can change the "intent" of an "Account type" of Cash from "Spending" to "Savings".

Making that type of "Intent" change will cause the account to appear in a different subgroup,
where it's position in the Account Bar can be changed in relation to the other accounts within the same subgroup.

So you could put all Account type Checking, Savings, and Cash in the same subgroup ("Spending" for example),
then rearrange those accounts in that subgroup in any order you choose. Example:
Checking 1
Savings 1
Cash 1
Checking 2
Savings 2
Cash 2

Andrew

Mar 27, 2023, 12:46:38 PM3/27/23
Thanks for that John....now I'll go back and see if I can clean anything
up that might be clearer in another "subgroup".