I don't understand how "balance" is computed

Bernie Cosell

Mar 5, 2023, 8:00:42 AM3/5/23
I have an account with all entries reconciled [I 'm pretty sure -- I wish
you could limit a search to a single account!] and a balance of -300.00.
The account balance was supposed to be zero . So I deleted one 300 dollar
payment... and the balance didn't change.

why didn't deleting the transaction change the balance??? [i tried
changing it from reconciled to cleared to uncleared to voiding it and
deleting it and the -300 balance didn't change].

BUT: if I create a fake deposit of $300, that *did* zero out the account.
So I don't understand quite what the "balance" is telling me, because I
would have guessed that deleting a payment was the equivalent of adding a
deposit but there's something odd going one: if I add a new payment or
deposit the balance changes appropriately... but if I change or delete an
old payment or deposit it doesn't. What am I missing?

/Bernie\
--
Bernie Cosell Fantasy Farm Fibers
ber...@fantasyfarm.com Pearisburg, VA

Bernie Cosell

Mar 5, 2023, 8:32:54 AM3/5/23

}
} why didn't deleting the transaction change the balance??? [i tried
} changing it from reconciled to cleared to uncleared to voiding it and
} deleting it and the -300 balance didn't change].

I figured it out. The problem was that I hadn't really saved the
deleted/voided transaction. It *looked* like it was gone from the
register, but when I hit an extra <return> I got the usual {void a
reconciled transaction} and when I hit "yes" everything got balanced
properly

Andrew

Mar 5, 2023, 6:24:17 PM3/5/23
On 03/05/23 8:32 AM, Bernie Cosell wrote:
> I wish
> } you could limit a search to a single account!]

Unless I'm missing something deep, the answer is you can. In the
register you wish to search for, there is a entry window for the
argument to search above the 'date' column header.

Vs. the 'search transactions' window on the upper right.

Am I missing something?

Regards -

- Andrew

Bernie Cosell

Mar 6, 2023, 6:45:42 AM3/6/23
Andrew <and...@invalid.com> wrote:

} On 03/05/23 8:32 AM, Bernie Cosell wrote:
} > I wish
} > } you could limit a search to a single account!]
}
} Unless I'm missing something deep, the answer is you can. In the
} register you wish to search for, there is a entry window for the
} argument to search above the 'date' column header.
}
} Vs. the 'search transactions' window on the upper right.
}
} Am I missing something?

Yes, that I'm an idiot. I've used Quicken for a LOT of years and managed
to _never_ notice that there's a search box on the account's register page.
Thanks. /bernie\

Andrew

Mar 6, 2023, 8:25:49 AM3/6/23
On 03/06/23 6:45 AM, Bernie Cosell wrote:
> Andrew <and...@invalid.com> wrote:
>
> } On 03/05/23 8:32 AM, Bernie Cosell wrote:
> } > I wish
> } > } you could limit a search to a single account!]
> }
> } Unless I'm missing something deep, the answer is you can. In the
> } register you wish to search for, there is a entry window for the
> } argument to search above the 'date' column header.
> }
> } Vs. the 'search transactions' window on the upper right.
> }
> } Am I missing something?
>
> Yes, that I'm an idiot. I've used Quicken for a LOT of years and managed
> to _never_ notice that there's a search box on the account's register page.
> Thanks. /bernie\

Bernie, that's ("Yes, that I'm an idiot.) funny! No problem. That bar
was a fairly recent addition to Q, so don't be so hard on yourself. The
real estate on the screen is quite dense! Cheers.