How to get rid of spam

JohnA

Dec 7, 2023, 11:17:12 PM12/7/23
I seem to be deluged with spam on this list - any one else seeing this?

Andrew

Dec 8, 2023, 8:39:49 AM12/8/23
On 12/7/2023 11:16 PM, JohnA wrote:
> I seem to be deluged with spam on this list - any one else seeing this?

Hmmm...since October, I have only received one piece of spam (did a
quick check) on this list and that was 5 days ago.
Regards -

- Andrew

John Pollard

Dec 8, 2023, 12:06:05 PM12/8/23
On Thursday, December 7, 2023 at 10:17:12 PM UTC-6, JohnA wrote:
> I seem to be deluged with spam on this list - any one else seeing this?

I assume you're referring to the multiple posts here recently
which clearly do not belong.
Likely folks selling stuff and enamored of themselves,
hoping others will bite and buy.
I've seen a bunch of those recently. A couple of examples:

Subject: Nh10 Movie Download 720p Kickass 64l
Poster: Rachell Pjetrovic

Subject: Bollywood Hd Mp4 Full Movies Downloadl
Poster: Rosalee Grindstaff

I've seen this in the past, where
there's a storm of such off-topic subjects
from the same "author".

No guarantees the following will help,
but in my experience, in time, it does help.

If you select a discussion (any discussion here),
at the far right in the Subject row are three vertical dots.
Clicking those 3 dots opens a dropdown which has
Opening that option provides several types of
"abuse" to choose from. I select "Spam" then "Submit report".

The discussion row then reads,
"This discussion has been hidden because you reported it as abuse".

In the past, quite some time after I reported the abuse
(longer than I would have liked, but Google probably sees a lot of "abuse")
those discussions disappeared from my Newsgroup screen.

JohnA

Dec 12, 2023, 10:40:48 PM12/12/23
Yes, that's actually an excellent sampling of the spam. My newsreader won't
allow me to report but will allow me to block. However, it won't remove the
post automatically so I deleted them manually. Hopefully, at least future
postings from these characters won't continue to filter in.

Thanks for the helpful reply.

-- John

"John Pollard" wrote in message

John Pollard

Dec 13, 2023, 9:18:36 AM12/13/23
On Tuesday, December 12, 2023 at 9:40:48 PM UTC-6, JohnA wrote:
> My newsreader won't
> allow me to report but will allow me to block.
> However, it won't remove the
> post automatically so I deleted them manually.

Sorry, I forgot that everyone does not use the same
software to read posts here.

I use Google Chrome and my comments were based on
that. Presumably since Google is hosting the newsgroup,
they have the power to remove posts.

But as I think of it, I can't say whether Google removed
the posts I reported from everyone's feed, or just mine.

[And I misreported where to find the 3 dots: they're on the
Subject row for each post - so you can "report" individual
posts as "abuse".]

Andrew

Dec 15, 2023, 9:31:02 AM12/15/23
John, what were the dates of those two? I don't recall seeing those.
Maybe my NG source Eternal September does a good job filtering?

John Pollard

Dec 15, 2023, 9:50:08 AM12/15/23

Date: Dec 6, 2023

Poster: Rosalee Grindstaff