can't do "one account" search

Bernie Cosell

Apr 21, 2023, 7:51:56 AM4/21/23
A while back the good folks on this forum pointed out to me that it was
possible to do "one account" searches -- I had never noticed that there was
a "find" function in the title bar of the account. Well.. I had occasion
to use it today and I couldn't get it to work. I could change the
drop-downs [e.g. I selected "charges only"] but it didn't let me type
anything into the search bar. Was I doing something wrong? thanks

/Bernie\
--
Bernie Cosell Fantasy Farm Fibers
ber...@fantasyfarm.com Pearisburg, VA

John Pollard

Apr 21, 2023, 12:08:40 PM4/21/23
On Friday, April 21, 2023 at 6:51:56 AM UTC-5, Bernie Cosell wrote:
> A while back the good folks on this forum pointed out to me that it was
> possible to do "one account" searches --

> I had never noticed that there was
> a "find" function in the title bar of the account.

I would describe the location of the account register Search field as being below the account Title bar; on the same row as the account filters (just above the register Heading row). Is that what you're referring to?

> Well.. I had occasion
> to use it today and I couldn't get it to work. I could change the
> drop-downs [e.g. I selected "charges only"] but it didn't let me type
> anything into the search bar.

I tested in R47.11 and R48.15, and I have no problem entering text in an account Search field (and having the resulting Search succeed); regardless of whether any account filters are also set.

Bernie Cosell

Apr 21, 2023, 5:15:53 PM4/21/23

}
} > I had never noticed that there was
} > a "find" function in the title bar of the account.
}
} I would describe the location of the account register Search field as being below the account Title bar; on the same row as the account filters (just above the register Heading row). Is that what you're referring to?

Yes, that's it.

} > Well.. I had occasion
} > to use it today and I couldn't get it to work. I could change the
} > drop-downs [e.g. I selected "charges only"] but it didn't let me type
} > anything into the search bar.
}
} I tested in R47.11 and R48.15, and I have no problem entering text in an account Search field (and having the resulting Search succeed); regardless of whether any account filters are also set.

Knowing that I tried again and discovered that it is an odd search field.
To type into it you first have to hit the spyglass and then you search by
hitting return. And here I was trying to fill in the search field and
search by hitting the spyglass. Sigh Thanks!!

John Pollard

Apr 22, 2023, 2:30:41 PM4/22/23
On Friday, April 21, 2023 at 4:15:53 PM UTC-5, Bernie Cosell wrote:
>> John Pollard wrote:

>> I tested in R47.11 and R48.15, and I have no problem entering text in an account Search field
>> (and having the resulting Search succeed); regardless of whether any account filters are also set.

> Knowing that I tried again and discovered that it is an odd search field.
> To type into it you first have to hit the spyglass and then you search by
> hitting return. And here I was trying to fill in the search field and
> search by hitting the spyglass.

I just put the cursor in the Search field and start keying.

As soon as the first character is keyed in the Search field, Quicken starts excluding transactions that don't contain what's in the Search field (and the spyglass immediately turns to an X, which is used to clear the Search field).

By the time you finish entering the text-to-be-found in the Search field, the Search should be complete.

Kobac

Jun 22, 2023, 1:54:09 PM6/22/23
On 04/21/2023 07:51, Bernie Cosell wrote:
> A while back the good folks on this forum pointed out to me that it was
> possible to do "one account" searches -- I had never noticed that there was
> a "find" function in the title bar of the account. Well.. I had occasion
> to use it today and I couldn't get it to work. I could change the
> drop-downs [e.g. I selected "charges only"] but it didn't let me type
> anything into the search bar. Was I doing something wrong? thanks
>
> /Bernie\

I always (from force of habit) press CTRL + F to search and start typing
my search term into the resulting pop-up-window. AT this point, I can
press either a button for "Find", which will search only in the account
I'm currently in, or a button for "Find All," which will search in all
accounts. I always click on "Find All."