QP05 Export/Import

William W. Plummer

Dec 30, 2004, 1:21:31 PM12/30/04
I'm trying to chase a problem with a friend's Quicken setup. There's
something wrong with her Vanguard IRA account. So, I decided to export
it, create a new account, and import the data. File>Export says it will
write a QIF file. File>Import says it no longer can read QIF files!

Can someone tell me how to get the existing transactions into the new
account? Thanks.

Jim

Dec 30, 2004, 10:03:51 PM12/30/04
Intuit thinks you don't need to do this. Why would you evern want to import
your owen data into Quicken. Sillyness.

"William W. Plummer" <William.Plum...@alum.mit.edu> wrote in
message news:HGXAd.828268$8_6.654257@attbi_s04...

I live on Quicken and Outlook

Dec 31, 2004, 3:58:16 AM12/31/04
On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 03:03:51 GMT, "Jim" <jo...@nospam.com> wrote:

>Intuit thinks you don't need to do this. Why would you evern want to import
>your owen data into Quicken. Sillyness.

Contact Quicken support. They have some "magic" to help you out here.

William W. Plummer

Dec 31, 2004, 9:34:06 AM12/31/04
John Pollard wrote:

> Wow, you sure don't read this group much, or even Intuit's long
> stated intention to eliminate QIF file imports to Q2005 (except
> for credit-cards - to be removed in Q2006, cash, asset, and
> liability accounts).
>
> You can try importing into a dummy cash account, then copy/paste
> the transactions from the dummy cash account into the desired
> account. Q2005 is the first version of Quicken to allow the
> selection of multiple transactions for cut/copy/paste.
>
> Or you can try just copying the transactions from the old
> account, and pasting into the new account. This approach might
> copy any corruption from the original account, so might not be
> as good a choice.

Regardless, Quicken needs an export format that it can import. If it
can read only OFX, then it needs to be able to write OFX.

I'll experiment with your multiple copy/paste suggestion. The problem
she has is, even though she has only two securitys ("A" and "B"), she
can only input transactions dealing with A. B is grayed out on pick
lists and I don't see any obvious reason why. But more experimenting is
needed.

Thanks for your assistance. I hope your New Year is prosperous and happy.

Jim

Dec 31, 2004, 11:11:05 AM12/31/04
What a brilliant idea. Hopefully somone at Intuit is reading. You'd think
some product manager with an MBA could figure this out without customer
input.

"William W. Plummer" <William.Plum...@alum.mit.edu> wrote in

message news:yrdBd.731062$mD.168974@attbi_s02...

Han

Dec 31, 2004, 11:43:47 AM12/31/04
"William W. Plummer" <William.Plum...@alum.mit.edu> wrote in

> The problem
> she has is, even though she has only two securitys ("A" and "B"), she
> can only input transactions dealing with A. B is grayed out on pick
> lists and I don't see any obvious reason why. But more experimenting is
> needed.

Does she by any chance have a single mutual fund account set up?
Have you tried making a new account?

For reasons I don't remember, I have single mutfud accounts like Fidelity
Puritan *and* Fidelity Magellan, althoug they are both the same account
number at Fidelity.

--
Best regards
Han

John Pollard

Dec 31, 2004, 11:55:59 AM12/31/04
Jim wrote:

> "William W. Plummer" <William.Plum...@alum.mit.edu>
> wrote in
> message news:yrdBd.731062$mD.168974@attbi_s02...
>>>
>> Regardless, Quicken needs an export format that it can
>> import. If
>> it can read only OFX, then it needs to be able to write OFX.

> What a brilliant idea. Hopefully somone at Intuit is reading.
> You'd
> think some product manager with an MBA could figure this out
> without
> customer input.

Or maybe not.

In the first place, Intuit has already made it clear that they
have no current plans to permit plain vanilla OFX imports; that
is why your web-connect file has a "QFX" extension and not an
OFX extension. Whether or not Intuit could construct a QFX
export/import that would not intefere with their existing plans
for downloads is debatable and if doable, may not be such a
trivial exercise.

Secondly, as far as I know, OFX currently has no facility for
such things as Categories, Classes, (possibly, transaction
splits), Reimbursable business expense flags, Loan Schedules,
Memorized or Scheduled transactions, Alerts, Asset Allocation,
Tax Planning, Home Inventory and possibly more that I have not
thought of.

OFX was not designed for the exchange of data between user data
files, it was designed for the download of data from financial
institutions to user data files. Whether it could be expanded
to accomplish file-to-file exchange of data remains to be seen,
even if for no other reason than that there are now a lot of
players involved in the standard and I doubt that all those
players have the exact same set of priorities, and some are
actually competitors.

--
John Pollard
First Last at Bellsouth dot net

John Pollard

Dec 31, 2004, 12:02:19 PM12/31/04
Han wrote:
> "William W. Plummer" <William.Plum...@alum.mit.edu>
> wrote in
>
>> The problem
>> she has is, even though she has only two securitys ("A" and
>> "B"), she
>> can only input transactions dealing with A. B is grayed out
>> on pick
>> lists and I don't see any obvious reason why. But more
>> experimenting is needed.
>>

> Does she by any chance have a single mutual fund account set
> up?

I think you have hit the nail on the head.

> Have you tried making a new account?

Should not be necessary; you can change a single mutual fund
account to an account capable of holding multiple securities by
clicking the word "Yes" in the Single Mutual Fund field in the
Account Attributes on the account Overview screen.

> For reasons I don't remember, I have single mutfud accounts
> like
> Fidelity Puritan *and* Fidelity Magellan, althoug they are
> both the
> same account number at Fidelity.

I think it is *possible* that some fi's will want you to have
single mutual fund accounts in Quicken if you have certain
account arrangements with the fi. Might be one reason not to
switch from a single mutual fund account; though a user should
be able to verify this with the fi.

William W. Plummer

Dec 31, 2004, 4:31:52 PM12/31/04
John Pollard wrote:
> Han wrote:
>
>>"William W. Plummer" <William.Plum...@alum.mit.edu>
>>wrote in
>>

>>> The problem
>>>she has is, even though she has only two securitys ("A" and
>>>"B"), she
>>>can only input transactions dealing with A. B is grayed out
>>>on pick
>>>lists and I don't see any obvious reason why. But more
>>>experimenting is needed.
>>>

>>Does she by any chance have a single mutual fund account set
>>up?
>

> I think you have hit the nail on the head.

YES! That was it. Thanks, all.

Ken G

Dec 31, 2004, 5:40:00 PM12/31/04
You've got it, John. QIF is a full-blown file interchange format and QFX/OFX
are strictly for transactions.

I guess the trouble from the bean-counters' perspective at Intuit is that
you can use the QIF format equally well for transactions only. It's not
quite as "intelligent" for that as the OFX format, but for customers and
financial institutions who don't want to be constantly digging into their
own pockets to enrichen Intuit for services that are mainly funded and
supported by the financial institutions anyway, it gets the job done just
fine.

Unfortunately by dropping support for QIF import in Q2005 Intuit has managed
to toss the baby out with the bathwater. No more ability to share data files
or do an export/import to clean up and salvage a file. At least with the
ability to export QIF you still have the option to bail out to an
alternative program without leaving all your data behind. I'm sure they'll
correct that oversight in 2006.

...ken...

"John Pollard" <johnp...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

dw

Jan 1, 2005, 11:00:50 PM1/1/05
true

"William W. Plummer" <William.Plum...@alum.mit.edu> wrote in
message news:yrdBd.731062$mD.168974@attbi_s02...

Ross Contino

Jan 8, 2005, 10:06:36 AM1/8/05
dw wrote:
>>>Or you can try just copying the transactions from the old account, and
>>>pasting into the new account. This approach might copy any corruption
>>>from the original account, so might not be as good a choice.
>>>

>>Regardless, Quicken needs an export format that it can import. If it can
>>read only OFX, then it needs to be able to write OFX.

Can Quicken, in fact, import OFX files? I had read on the web somewhere
that Q2005 uses proprietary QFX which is Intuit's own slant on OFX.

I'm still using Q2004 because my bank works only with QIF format which
is unavailable in Q2005.

Thanks,
Ross

RWEmerson

Jan 8, 2005, 12:02:39 PM1/8/05
Ross Contino wrote:
[SNIP]

> Can Quicken, in fact, import OFX files? I had read on the web somewhere
> that Q2005 uses proprietary QFX which is Intuit's own slant on OFX.
>
> I'm still using Q2004 because my bank works only with QIF format which
> is unavailable in Q2005.
[SNIP]

No. In fact, it cannot.

Al. C

Jan 8, 2005, 2:09:24 PM1/8/05
RWEmerson wrote:

I'm not sure why since the QFX and the OFX formats are almost the same (see
snips below). My bet is that Quicken 2005 is looking for the FI tags.

    <FI>
        <ORG>XXXX  <-------------------
        <FID>YYYY    <-------------------
    </FI>
    <INTU.BID>ZZZZ   <-------------------

Also the date format in QFX is shorter than in OFX but I tend to doubt that
Quicken cares about this (and I can't figure out why they used a short date
without the time.)

Here would be an interesting test for someone who has Q2005. Go to your bank's
web site for your checking account and download BOTH the OFX file and the QFX
file (assuming of course that your bank has both. Mine does so I suppose many
do.)

Open the QFX file in Notepad, Word PAD or any text editor (not MS Word). Copy
the (above) FI tags and the <INTU.BID> tag (with your "numbers" in them,
obviously). Then open the OFX file and past them in the same spot. Then open
up a test account in your Quicken 2005 and see if the OFX will import. I'll
bet you a Krispy Cream doughnut that it will! If it doesn't than it must be
the date format. Those could easily be change as well.

I would post my <FI> tags here but it might be a security violation OR maybe
Intuit might consider it proprietary and would sue my ass off (which I sort
of wish they would do as we'd get a ton of publicity for our Jaya123
web-service ( http://www.jaya123.com ) that kind of competes against their
Quickbooks On The Web service (which is not a bad system but often not a
great fit for our target market... the small to mid-size biz that does not
need or want full-bore accounting. )

If anyone has the time/interest to do this test, please report back here and
let us know what you found out. (Or contact me directly if you can figure out
the mungled address and don't mind the challange/response we use
(SpamArrest)).

Al C.

++++++++
QFX:
++++++++

OFXHEADER:100
DATA:OFXSGML
VERSION:102
SECURITY:NONE
ENCODING:USASCII
CHARSET:1252
COMPRESSION:NONE
OLDFILEUID:NONE
NEWFILEUID:NONE

<OFX>
<SIGNONMSGSRSV1>
  <SONRS>
    <STATUS>
      <CODE>0
      <SEVERITY>INFO
    </STATUS>
    <DTSERVER>20050106120000.000[-6:CST]
    <LANGUAGE>ENG
    <FI>
        <ORG>XXXX  <-------------------
        <FID>YYYY    <-------------------
    </FI>
    <INTU.BID>ZZZZ   <-------------------
  </SONRS>
</SIGNONMSGSRSV1>

       <DTSTART>20040819 <-------
       <DTEND>20050104 <--------

[snip]

++++++++++
OFX
+++++++++++

OFXHEADER:100
DATA:OFXSGML
VERSION:102
SECURITY:NONE
ENCODING:USASCII
CHARSET:1252
COMPRESSION:NONE
OLDFILEUID:NONE
NEWFILEUID:NONE

<OFX>
<SIGNONMSGSRSV1>
  <SONRS>
    <STATUS>
      <CODE>0
      <SEVERITY>INFO
    </STATUS>
    <DTSERVER>20050105120000.000[-6:CST]
    <LANGUAGE>ENG
  </SONRS>
</SIGNONMSGSRSV1>
       <DTSTART>20040819120000
       <DTEND>20050104120000

[snip]

Mike B

Jan 8, 2005, 2:28:27 PM1/8/05
Al. C <no.spam...@take.out.adams-blake.no.spam.com> wrote:
> Open the QFX file in Notepad, Word PAD or any text editor (not MS
> Word). Copy the (above) FI tags and the <INTU.BID> tag (with your
> "numbers" in them, obviously). Then open the OFX file and past them
> in the same spot. Then open up a test account in your Quicken 2005
> and see if the OFX will import. I'll bet you a Krispy Cream doughnut
> that it will! If it doesn't than it must be the date format. Those
> could easily be change as well.

Been done and reported a success.

--
Mike B

HASM

Jan 8, 2005, 4:15:42 PM1/8/05
"Al. C" <no.spam...@take.out.adams-blake.no.spam.com> writes:

>     <FI>
>         <ORG>XXXX  <-------------------
>         <FID>YYYY    <-------------------
>     </FI>
>     <INTU.BID>ZZZZ   <-------------------

On the three different QFX files I can download, from two different banks,
the YYYY and ZZZZ values you have above are always the same. The value for
the ORG tag seems to be the name (text) of your FI. The value for FID and
INTU.BID is a 4 digit numeric value.

Thus difference between OFX and QFX is then:

 <FI>
  <ORG> Financial Institution name
   <FID> Intuit's ID for above, 4 digit value
 </FI>
 <INTU.BID> Same as <FID> above

On Quicken 2004, the name of the Financial Institution is irrelevant, i.e. I
changed to a bank that doesn't exist, left the ID intact, and Quicken
swallowed the file with problem.

I guess it may have been said here, and it may be kind of obvious, but let
me point out that if you download the QFX from the bank, shut off the
internet connection, and then try to import the file, Quicken refuses to do
it and complains of no internet connectivity. Interestingly enough you
don't need to re-import after connecting to the internet again, upon
restart Quicken will validate the import, which is probably just pending,
like those other ones that fail once in a while and Quicken insists in
resuming next time up.

When the internet connection is up, Quicken establishes a SSL enabled
connection with ofx-prod-brand.intuit.com (206.154.105.121) and then sends
a couple of packets (in a test case, of length 269 and 936 bytes) and
receives about four packets (of length 1460 bytes each).

Time to switch to GnuCash.

-- HASM

Al. C

Jan 8, 2005, 6:27:43 PM1/8/05
HASM wrote:

> I guess it may have been said here, and it may be kind of obvious, but let
> me point out that if you download the QFX from the bank, shut off the
> internet connection, and then try to import the file, Quicken refuses to do
> it and complains of no internet connectivity.  Interestingly enough you
> don't need to re-import after connecting to the internet again, upon
> restart Quicken will validate the import, which is probably just pending,
> like those other ones that fail once in a while and Quicken insists in
> resuming next time up.

Thanks for the excellent analysis. So then, the way Intuit's engineers
implemetned the import is via a "call home" to check the  <INTU.BID> against
a table of valid FIs.

I don't want to start a conspiracy theory, but you kind of wonder what OTHER
information Intuit is collecting on you. I'm not sure I want Intuit to know
my bank balance as well as all the stuff I spent money on. What if they tell
my wife about all those payments I made to the porn sites ! :-)

Al C.

Ken G

Jan 8, 2005, 10:35:36 PM1/8/05
Al, there are two things Quicken checks when it calls home. First, as
mentioned, and recorded in the OFXLOG.TXT, is the financial institution
check, to verify that it's dutifully paying for the priviledge of providing
your download. The other thing it checks, and does not record anywhere, is
the activation server to see if your personal copy of Quicken is still
allowed to perform such services for you.

...ken...

"Al. C" <no.spam...@take.out.adams-blake.no.spam.com> wrote in message

Al. C

Jan 9, 2005, 12:51:38 AM1/9/05
Ken G wrote:

> Al, there are two things Quicken checks when it calls home. First, as
> mentioned, and recorded in the OFXLOG.TXT, is the financial institution

> check, to verify that it's dutifully paying for the privilege of providing

> your download. The other thing it checks, and does not record anywhere, is
> the activation server to see if your personal copy of Quicken is still
> allowed to perform such services for you.

Thanks for providing this info, Ken. BTW, does Intuit disclose the above
anywhere? Have they documented exactly what they are sending and receiving?
Maybe in a privacy policy or someplace where the print is too small for my 57
year old eyes?

I didn't know about the activation server deal. Hmmm. That implies that they
could easily turn-off your "privilege". Maybe the strategy is to move Quicken
to a yearly "rental" where instead of updating the software, you just pay
them a fee and they re-activate you via the server.

I wonder if anyone has put a "sniffer" on the line to pick up EXACTLY what
Quicken is sending when it calls home. I guess I don't have to spell it out
to any of you exactly how valuable to others the info you have in Quicken is.
They can transmit info on everything you bought, how much you paid, how much
you are probably worth, and your basic demographics. Until some respected
third party did the "sniffer" test, I don't think I'd be to eager to use
Q2005. Sorry to say, but Intuit is just not a company I have a lot of trust
in these days.

Al C.

HASM

Jan 9, 2005, 1:03:42 AM1/9/05
"Al. C" <no.spam...@take.out.adams-blake.no.spam.com> writes:

> I wonder if anyone has put a "sniffer" on the line to pick up EXACTLY what
> Quicken is sending when it calls home.

Hard to do, as all the stuff is encrypted. Just get ethereal/pcap and try
it yourself.

> Until some respected third party did the "sniffer" test, I don't think
> I'd be to eager to use Q2005.

Q2004 probably does the same tests. Did the FI pay them this years' fee?
Did you pay them this year's fee? (Or this year - whatever expiry period.)
No, let's disable your product from doing what it used to do all along.

I already enter all my transactions manually and just use QFX for
reconciles. When 2004 stops accepting web connect files, I'll go back to
manual reconciles, or MoneyDance, or GnuCash as Quicken is about the only
Windows application I run regularly (the other being Excel, but there's
plenty of replacements for my level of use.)

-- HASM

Al. C

Jan 9, 2005, 2:22:02 AM1/9/05
HASM wrote:

> "Al. C" <no.spam...@take.out.adams-blake.no.spam.com> writes:
>
>> I wonder if anyone has put a "sniffer" on the line to pick up EXACTLY what
>> Quicken is sending when it calls home.
>
> Hard to do, as all the stuff is encrypted. Just get ethereal/pcap and try
> it yourself.

Hmm. Are you sure it is encrypted? The OFX and QFX files are just XML. I
wonder if Intuit encrypted the rest of the transactions.

I would try to sniff it but we don't have Q2005. Don't laugh but we run
Quicken 99. Our small business is on the Linux platform. We stopped running
Windows about 3 years ago when one of the viruses (or maybe it was a worm)
reduced our hardware to paperweight status! It took us forever to backup and
restore. We gave it up and went to Mandrake Linux (we now run Slackware
Linux). I'm not here to preach. Windows is fine for those who have the time
and energy to put into it. We don't. Linux just runs and runs... I think I've
got one or two workstations that have been up for almost a year now. Linux is
not perfect, but we value stability and security more than most (Windows)
users do. If they ever make it secure, I'm sure we would go back. We're not
zealots!

Anyway, we run Quicken via Crossover Office (www.codeweavers.com). Runs fine.
We just use it for reporting purposes. We use our bank's web-based bill-payer
system and download the payables from there. From Jaya123 (http:/
www.jaya123.com) we get our receipts. We throw the whole mess into Quicken so
we can do the P&L, cash flow, etc.

That said, it looks like my bookkeeper person wants to switch to Moneydance so
we will go with that. We run the whole biz on Jaya.... and the bookeeping
system (Q99) is simply not mission-critical to us.

As I said in another thread, we're telling all our customers (and everyone
else too) that Q2005 may not be the best fit for their needs, especially if
they use Jaya123 or any other system that exports to .QIF.

It looks to me that Inuit is putting everything into place in order to make
Quicken a subscription service, much like our Jaya123 (we charge $14.95 a
month.) I believe that as "always on" broadband becomes something every
business has and can't be without that a lot of software will go this route
and become a renewable subscription. It won't be long until you see Word and
Excel "call home" to see if you've paid your fee... and if you haven't, the
program is disabled.

Al C.
Adams-Blake Company, Inc.
***
JAYA123 - the web-based total-office system for the
small biz. Order entry, billing, bookkeeping, etc. for $14.95
a month. Perfect for the small business or start-up.
See demo at: http://www.jaya123.com
***

Blackwood

Jan 9, 2005, 10:21:41 AM1/9/05

> Thanks for the excellent analysis. So then, the way Intuit's engineers
> implemetned the import is via a "call home" to check the  <INTU.BID>
> against a table of valid FIs.
>

> Al C.

I imagine that is indeed what happens.

Just for fun, I downloaded an OFX file for my credit card at Target
National Bank (they don't offer QFX). When I looked at it in Notepad, the
fields you identify as unique to QFX were present even though this was an
OFX file. <ORG> was "B1", <FID> and <INTU.BID> were the same 4 digit
number.

I renamed the file to change the extension from .ofx to .qfx, and then
imported it to Quicken (Q2004 Premier - US version) using "File|Import|Web
Connect File". Quicken automatically changed the account I was importing
into to show the financial institution as "First USA" and show Transaction
Download as "Activated". The transactions imported OK.

Ross Contino

Jan 9, 2005, 10:37:33 AM1/9/05

Hellow Again:

If anyone can do this, and provide me with a dummy QFX and OFX I could
play around developing a program to convert QIF to QFX. I would be
willing to release this for free under the GNU foundation.

I am just so frustrated that my bank will not upgrade to support the
changes in Q2005 and Intuit refuses to have retro compatibility to QIF.

I am a cross platform developer with nearly 20 years experience, but I
could not find the definition structure of QFX anywhere on Intuit's
site. Because, Q2005 is at this point useless to me, I have not
upgraded to further explore the structure of QFX.

Thanks,
Ross

MT2OFX Support

Jan 9, 2005, 11:11:47 AM1/9/05
Ross Contino wrote:

> Al. C wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> Hellow Again:
>
> If anyone can do this, and provide me with a dummy QFX and OFX I could
> play around developing a program to convert QIF to QFX. I would be
> willing to release this for free under the GNU foundation.
>
> I am just so frustrated that my bank will not upgrade to support the
> changes in Q2005 and Intuit refuses to have retro compatibility to QIF.
>
> I am a cross platform developer with nearly 20 years experience, but I
> could not find the definition structure of QFX anywhere on Intuit's
> site. Because, Q2005 is at this point useless to me, I have not
> upgraded to further explore the structure of QFX.
>
> Thanks,
> Ross

Such a program exists (for Windows) - check out http://www.mt2ofx.tk/ .
I can help you get any information you need INTO the OFX/QFX file, but I
can't help with finding the right magic numbers for <INTU.BID> etc.

--
Remove REMOVE from email address to reach me!

HASM

Jan 9, 2005, 11:22:55 AM1/9/05
"Al. C" <no.spam...@take.out.adams-blake.no.spam.com> writes:

> Hmm. Are you sure it is encrypted? The OFX and QFX files are just XML. I
> wonder if Intuit encrypted the rest of the transactions.

I don't think Quicken encrypts anything, they're just talking back to a SSL
(Secure Socket Layer) enabled webserver (i.e. the equivalent of https://
instead of http://) and the encryption is done at that level. Sniffing the
packets just gets you the SSL encrypted transaction.

If the SSL layer is not built into Quicken itself but done via a DLL, one
could insert a stub DLL in between and trap the unencrypted transaction.
If it is built into Quicken, it is a little bit more complicated.

-- HASM

HASM

Jan 9, 2005, 11:52:49 AM1/9/05
MT2OFX Support <mt2ofx...@xs4all.nl> writes:

>> If anyone can do this, and provide me with a dummy QFX and OFX I could
>> play around developing a program to convert QIF to QFX.

> Such a program exists (for Windows) - check out http://www.mt2ofx.tk/.

Translation from QIF to OFX/QFX is kind of trivial, and specs can be found
on the web, e.g.:

QIF: http://www.respmech.com/mym2qifw/qif_new.htm
OFX: http://www.ofx.net/ofx/de_spec.asp

I've downloaded QIF and QFX files from the same FI for the same date
interval and could probably write a translator with a few lines of PERL for
the subset of fields that my FIs use, but:

- Each transaction in QFX is tagged with an ID in a <FITID> record and
this info is not in QIF. One of my FIs (checking account) uses the
date to make up the FITID, with sequence digits tacked on, when there's
more than one transaction per day. Another of my FIs (credit card)
uses a long string of digits, probably the same one they print on
credit card statements.

I would guess that Quicken doesn't care about the particular value
in this field, except to make sure that transactions are unique across
qfx files, i.e. if one were to run the translator on two different
files from the same FI, with overlapping date ranges, one better
generate the same FITID for common transaction in those files.

- Then there's the problem of adding the proper FID and INTU.BID fields,
in the <SIGNONMSGSRSV1><SONRS> record.

- Then there's the problem of Quicken talking back to an Intuit website
to authenticate the FID/INTU.BID number and your version of Quicken,
which will eventually stop working.

-- HASM

Al. C

Jan 9, 2005, 12:05:30 PM1/9/05
Ross Contino wrote:

> Hellow Again:
>
> If anyone can do this, and provide me with a dummy QFX and OFX I could
> play around developing a program to convert QIF to QFX.  I would be
> willing to release this for free under the GNU foundation.

There already is such a beast at http://www.mt2ofx.tk/ but I have not tried
it. It seems to me that even if you can write a routine to create a QFX XML
file from the QIF format, you may still have the problem of getting past the
Quicken "call home" implementation.

From what I understand from others, Q2005 will NOT import QFX unless you are
connected to the Internet. (Am I correct about this, anyone?)

Here is how I think this will shake out. I think Intuit AGAIN let greed get in
the way of customer relations and plain old practicality. It's going to be
Turbo-Tax "use once" all over again. Except this time the (bad guy) hackers
will do a reverse engineer of Q2005 as well as the file formats and will put
out 'cracked' versions of Quicken 05 (for free) that get around whatever lame
programming Intuit put into this product.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see listings of valid  <INTU.BID> XXXX (where
XXXX = a four digit number) codes for what I assume is "Intuit Bank ID".
Indeed, I'll bet some kind soul will put up web site where you enter your FIs
name and up will pop their BID and you can manually change a QFX created from
a QIF ---> QFX/OFX program.

I don't understand why Intuit didn't learn this lesson from the Turbo Tax
fiasco in 2003. If Intuit wants a continuing revenue stream from their
products, there are better, easier, and less intrusive ways to get it done
then to go through all this cloak and dagger, covert "home phoning" to do it.
Don't they have anyone who has an MBA working for them?

So far, all I can see that they have accomplished is angering their customer
base, making things more difficult for their users, and getting bad press
along with it.

I don't know how much they are going to make from charging the FIs for use of
QFX, but if I were the Product Manager of Microsoft, or of Moneydance, or of
AceMoney, or the "advocate" of any of the open-source personal finance
programs (like GnuCash) I'd be out there telling banks and CUs "Hey guys,
forget about greedy Intuit. Tell your customers to buy and use our system.
Hell, we'll even give your folks a discount... yada, yada."

I may be wrong (but never in doubt!) but I don't think the final shot has been
fired over the QIF/QFX/OFX import, export, phone-home issue and that at the
end of the day, Intuit is going to come out of it looking very bad and losing
a lot of customers.

We're telling OUR customer base (obviously not as large as a BofA!) not to get
Quicken 05 and buy something else instead. And you know something? People are
receptive. We've gotten a ton of response to this one simple release:

Intuit is not evil, they are just stupid. What I can't figure out is how you
can be stupid twice in such a short period of time! Or maybe they think being
on the defensive with the media is a good way to get publicity? Someone in
that company has their head where the sun does not shine! :-)

The Michael

Jan 9, 2005, 1:59:41 PM1/9/05
On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 17:05:30 GMT, "Al. C"
<no.spam...@take.out.adams-blake.no.spam.com> wrote:
>From what I understand from others, Q2005 will NOT import QFX unless you are
>connected to the Internet. (Am I correct about this, anyone?)

I believe QFX is what you get when you do webconnect (which I don't do anymore - I
only work with FIs that support direct connect currently).

When I was doing webconnect, Quicken gave me a choice of updating then or later. I
never chose the later option, but assumed this was via import. However I have
Q2004D.
--
Mike

The Michael

Jan 9, 2005, 2:17:32 PM1/9/05

I also have Q2005D in a box waiting for it to become more stable <--- had to get it
with my Turbotax to get the $30 rebate.
--
Mike

Ross Contino

Jan 9, 2005, 9:03:42 PM1/9/05
I think an application could easily be written in Visual Basic to
achieve this task and do it as described. Now many posts have stated
that Q2005 connects to assure that FI is a paying participant. If this
is required, how was this import possible.

I think it would be possible to write an application to convert QIF to
QFX files.

Any thoughts?

Ross Contino

Jan 9, 2005, 9:26:08 PM1/9/05
After reading Al C. comments and conversation with an Intuit exec, I
will continue to use Q2004 until they disable it...then I will move to
GNUCash.

All my machines are dual boot, and it comes with GNUCash. I just worked
through a tutorial and it runs like the wind on Fedora Core 2. Light
speed compared to other alternatives like MS Money.

I've used Quiken since the days of DOS, but I think Q2004 is my last copy.

Later,
Ross

Jim

Jan 10, 2005, 10:11:36 AM1/10/05
See www.bigredconsulting.com

"Ross Contino" <rossc...@suscom.net> wrote in message

Mike Blake-Knox

Jan 10, 2005, 1:23:30 PM1/10/05
In article <yrdBd.731062$mD.168974@attbi_s02>, William W. Plummer wrote:
> The problem
> she has is, even though she has only two securitys ("A" and "B"), she
> can only input transactions dealing with A. B is grayed out on pick
> lists and I don't see any obvious reason why. But more experimenting is
> needed.

I notice that Intuit's page on Quicken 2005 "Advanced troubleshooting to
repair data file damage"
(http://www.intuit.com/support/quicken/2005/win/6147.html) says "If the
damage is specific to a checking, savings, cash or investment account,
please contact the Quicken Customer Care department at (800) 811-8766 for
technical support."

It sounds as if they are asking to be called if you need to do an
export/import for an account type that doesn't support QIF file imports.
Maybe tech support has a mechanism to enable QIF import for data recovery.

Have you tried calling them?

Mike

Jim Nugent

Jan 11, 2005, 10:09:46 PM1/11/05

> Thanks for providing this info, Ken. BTW, does Intuit disclose the above
> anywhere? Have they documented exactly what they are sending and
receiving?
> Maybe in a privacy policy or someplace where the print is too small for my
57
> year old eyes?

It won't answer ALL your questions but take a look here:
http://www.fi.intuit.com/Get_Connected/Technical_Resources_Tools.cfm .

Watch the video on Web Connect Troubleshooting.
--
Jim
"Remember, an amateur built the Ark; professionals built the Titanic."

Jim Nugent

Jan 11, 2005, 10:28:52 PM1/11/05

> I think an application could easily be written in Visual Basic to
> achieve this task and do it as described. Now many posts have stated
> that Q2005 connects to assure that FI is a paying participant. If this
> is required, how was this import possible.

Because the header was present, i.e.,

> > Just for fun, I downloaded an OFX file for my credit card at Target
> > National Bank (they don't offer QFX). When I looked at it in Notepad,
the
> > fields you identify as unique to QFX were present even though this was
an
> > OFX file. <ORG> was "B1", <FID> and <INTU.BID> were the same 4 digit
> > number.

And Quicken was able to connect at import time to have a conversation with
the bank (and as rumor has it, another server).

> I think it would be possible to write an application to convert QIF to
> QFX files.
>
> Any thoughts?

The OFX is easy; it's XML (though not strictly enforced) and there is a
schema for it. But you'd have to get that "header" information from
somewhere before you could synthesize a QFX file. And if your bank didn't
buy the QFX service, there would be no legitimate ID to put in for it
anyway.

Jim Nugent

Jan 11, 2005, 10:43:15 PM1/11/05

> I am just so frustrated that my bank will not upgrade to support the
> changes in Q2005 and Intuit refuses to have retro compatibility to QIF.

I just changed banks. But to be fair I'd been thinking about it anyway. I
never really liked my old bank's online banking. Once the new checking
account is up and running, I'll intstall Q05.

> I am a cross platform developer with nearly 20 years experience, but I
> could not find the definition structure of QFX anywhere on Intuit's
> site. Because, Q2005 is at this point useless to me, I have not
> upgraded to further explore the structure of QFX.

As I've said, the "OFX" part is fairly easy, but to get to QFX, see
http://www.fi.intuit.com/ .

Just send an email to Quic...@Intuit.com, [They] will send you a
Non-Disclosure Agreement to get you started. :-)

Jim Nugent

Jan 11, 2005, 10:50:47 PM1/11/05

"The Michael" <T23...@ibehere.not> wrote in message

> I also have Q2005D in a box waiting for it to become more stable.

I've been developing software for 20+ years and I've never thought of that!
Just leave it in a box and it will become more stable?

Sorry, I know what you mean, but I couldn't resist. It just struck me as
very funny as stated.

HASM

Jan 12, 2005, 1:35:23 AM1/12/05
"Jim Nugent" <njim2...@yahoo.com> writes:

> And Quicken was able to connect at import time to have a conversation with
> the bank (and as rumor has it, another server).

No rumor. Install ethereal/pcap, capture a connection, and you'll see that
Quicken calls home to ofx-prod-brand.intuit.com (206.154.105.121).

-- HASM

Ken G

Jan 12, 2005, 10:39:22 PM1/12/05
You will also see it documented in the OFXLOG.TXT file in the Quicken home
directory.

<!-- ***** SEND to https://ofx-prod-brand.intuit.com/qw1200-can/fib.dll at
12:01:29 on 20050110 ***** -->

...[snip OFX tags]...

<!-- ***** RECV from https://ofx-prod-brand.intuit.com/qw1200-can/fib.dll at
12:01:30 on 20050110 ***** -->

...ken...

"HASM" <not_r...@comcast.net> wrote in message

HASM

Jan 30, 2005, 9:37:26 PM1/30/05
"Al. C" <no.spam...@take.out.adams-blake.no.spam.com> writes:

> Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see listings of valid  <INTU.BID> XXXX
> (where XXXX = a four digit number) codes for what I assume is "Intuit
> Bank ID".

No need to be surprised. Just navigate to:

C:\Program Files\Quicken\inet\common\localweb\banklist

(or replace C:\Program Files\Quicken with the directory where your Quicken
is installed) and take a look at the fidir.txt file.

-- HASM