Community Discussion: Add Account filter to Find & Replace

John Pollard

Apr 10, 2023, 11:18:24 AM4/10/23
Community Discussion: Add Account filter to Find & Replace

Found at: https://tinyurl.com/4x9u2ara

I fail to see the need for the user's request.

The Quicken "All Transactions" pseudo-register contains an account filter.
Applying the desired account filter in the All Transactions register, then doing a Find & Replace should accomplish the desired result.

Rocket J Squirrel

Apr 10, 2023, 1:27:35 PM4/10/23
On Monday, April 10, 2023 at 8:18:24 AM UTC-7, John Pollard wrote:
> The Quicken "All Transactions" pseudo-register contains an account filter.
> Applying the desired account filter in the All Transactions register, then doing a Find & Replace should accomplish the desired result.

Except it doesn't. It still searches all accounts.

John Pollard

Apr 10, 2023, 1:59:57 PM4/10/23
Damn. I tested before I posted and I would have sworn only transactions from selected accounts were "found";
but upon further testing, I'm sad to say you're right. Thanks for catching that.

But I believe that just means that Quicken should fix the Find/Replace in the All Accounts register -
rather than adding a new feature to accomplish the same end.

[Has anyone in the Quicken Community ever reported this?]

John Pollard

Apr 12, 2023, 10:31:10 AM4/12/23
On Monday, April 10, 2023 at 12:59:57 PM UTC-5, John Pollard wrote:

> But I believe that just means that Quicken should fix the Find/Replace in the All Accounts
> register - rather than adding a new feature to accomplish the same end.

I've given this some more thought, and have come to a different conclusion.

First of all, I was mistaken; Find & Replace is working as designed in the All Accounts register (meaning: it's working exactly the same as it works in every other Quicken register), so nothing is broken and no "fix" is needed.

But I do think that the Find & Replace can be improved, though not in the specific way the original poster suggested. I think there's a better approach.

Instead of changing Find & Replace specifically for the All Transactions register, or adding an account filter directly to the Find & Replace dialog; I suggest Quicken do the following.

Add a checkbox in the Find & Replace dialog that, when checked, would tell Quicken to limit the Find (the "search") in Find & Replace to "only those transactions currently displayed".

So, if that new option were available:
1.) When Find & Replace is initiated in a regular Quicken register and the new option to Find "only those transactions currently displayed" was selected: the search would Find only those transactions in the open account register that were displayed - which means it would ignore any transactions not in the viewed account and ignore any transactions in the viewed account that were not displayed due to having been "filtered out".

2.) When Find & Replace is initiated in the Quicken All Accounts pseudo-register and the new option to Find "only those transactions currently displayed" is selected: in addition to acting as it would in the register for a specific account, Find & Replace in the All Accounts pseudo-register would only "search" in accounts selected to appear in the All Accounts register.

3.) When the new Find & Replace checkbox is unchecked, Find & Replace would work exactly as it does now.