One Step Update

Ken Blake

Mar 9, 2023, 11:35:21 AM3/9/23
Running the latest version of Quicken Premiere under the latest
version of Windows 11 Professional.

Every morning when I do a OSU, it begins with a message saying

"The following financial institutions are transitioning to a new
connection method..."

It lists two American Express accounts, both long closed. Both are
listed in the OSU window, but neither has its box checked.

Short of trying to update the accounts, my only choices are to click
"Remind me next time" or to shut down OSU. I want neither but I always
click "Remind me next time," since I want to do an OSU.

Neither account is shown on the account sidebar, but both are listed
in "More accounts." I suppose the problem might go away if I deleted
the accounts, but I don't want to do that, since I want to keep the
history there.

How can I get rid of this (minor) annoyance" Also how can I remove
their unchecked boxes in the OSU window?

Hank

Mar 9, 2023, 11:57:15 AM3/9/23
Try going to Accounts;Edit and select Display Options tab; select Close
Account

Ken Blake

Mar 9, 2023, 12:43:08 PM3/9/23
Done. That worked.Thanks very much.

Jeffrey

Mar 10, 2023, 2:50:17 PM3/10/23
If you "Closed" the account and you need it later for something you will NOT be able to reopen it (Windows).

See https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7900657/how-do-i-reopen-a-closed-bank-account
https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7923683/how-to-reopen-a-closed-investment-account-in-quicken-for-windows

You might want to restore a backup and try "Hide" the account and see if that works.
Also before you make any changes always make sure have copy of the file being changed.

Jeffrey

Mar 10, 2023, 2:55:24 PM3/10/23
I also found this.
https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7926774/closed-account

I have never Closed an account (full disclosure)

John Pollard

Mar 10, 2023, 3:25:07 PM3/10/23
On Friday, March 10, 2023 at 1:50:17 PM UTC-6, Jeffrey wrote:
> On Thursday, March 9, 2023 at 11:43:08 AM UTC-6, Ken Blake wrote:

> > >Try going to Accounts;Edit and select Display Options tab; select Close Account

> > Done. That worked. Thanks very much.

> If you "Closed" the account and you need it later for something you will NOT be able to reopen it (Windows).
>
> See https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7900657/how-do-i-reopen-a-closed-bank-account
> https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7923683/how-to-reopen-a-closed-investment-account-in-quicken-for-windows
>
> You might want to restore a backup and try "Hide" the account and see if that works.
> Also before you make any changes always make sure have copy of the file being changed.

I suspect that the original problem was caused by having those old accounts that were closed in the real-world,
still Activated for downloading in Quicken.
I think that if those old accounts had been manually de-activated for downloading,
the message about the "new connection method" would not have been presented.

Here's what the Quicken "Close Account" feature does:
- deactivates the closed account for downloading (and prevents that account from ever being re-activated for downloading)
- creates a balance adjustment transaction in the closed account to insure the balance of the account is $0.00
- makes sure the account Display Option, "Hide in transaction entry lists" is checked for the account
- puts a small red circle with a forward slash icon alongside the account in the Account List and the Account Bar
[None of those steps cause the account itself to be hidden.]

I have tested with "Close Account", and I personally would never use it. Other than the little red "closed account" icon,
the user can manually do everything that Close Account can do ... while leaving the account capable of being re-activated.

Ken Blake

Mar 10, 2023, 4:11:51 PM3/10/23
On Fri, 10 Mar 2023 12:25:05 -0800 (PST), John Pollard
<8plu...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Friday, March 10, 2023 at 1:50:17?PM UTC-6, Jeffrey wrote:
Yes.

JohnA

Apr 30, 2023, 9:42:13 PM4/30/23
If an account is closed at the bank, then it makes no sense to keep it
non-closed so it can be used later. It can't ever be actively used again
anyway. IMO, that's the only time when one should close an account on
Quicken - to match a FI final close.

"John Pollard" wrote in message