Nettamer & Broadband/Arachne & Usenet

knu...@nojunk.komm

May 22, 2005, 4:36:12 PM5/22/05

Is there anybody still monitoring this group?
I feel like the last person on the planet!
I'm soon to change over to broadband, so unfortunately it seems
like the end of the road for Nettamer for me (sob). Particularly
liked the manner in which NT handled Usenet.
Like many who used to post on this group I also run Arachne and
will continue to do so but I don't like Google groups. Is there
a simpler way of getting Usenet groups (and posting) with Arachne?
Thanks
Alan

knu...@nojunk.komm

May 22, 2005, 4:54:19 PM5/22/05

twil...@cybermesa.net

May 23, 2005, 8:44:32 PM5/23/05

On 2005-05-22 knu...@nojunk.komm said:
>Newsgroups: alt.comp.shareware.nettamer

In the couple months since I put it in my D/L list, you're the first
activity I've seen.

There is occasional posting on the Net-Tamer mail list, mebbe 1 a
month. A pity. 6 years ago it was one of my few sources of sanity
when living in west TX.

Be well, prosper.

Tom Willmon
in the center of New Mexico, USA

Please return stewardess to original upright position.

Net-Tamer V 1.12.0 - Registered

Tom Rutherford

May 24, 2005, 7:32:45 AM5/24/05

<knu...@nojunk.komm> wrote in message

Hi, Alan. I'm still here, but unfortunately, I can't help you. I wish I
could use Net-Tamer on broadband, too, but that doesn't seem to be possible.
As for Arachne, I think Michael P. has quit developing it, too. I hope the
last to leave the room remenbers to turn out the lights and lock the door.

"She said it was either her or the ham radio. Over."
(Reply-To address may be spam-resistant.)

shey...@myrealbox.com

May 25, 2005, 2:04:42 AM5/25/05

On Tue, 24 May 2005 11:32:45 GMT "Tom Rutherford" <t...@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

> <knu...@nojunk.komm> wrote in message
>>

>> Is there anybody still monitoring this group?
>> I feel like the last person on the planet!
>> I'm soon to change over to broadband, so unfortunately it seems
>> like the end of the road for Nettamer for me (sob). Particularly
>> liked the manner in which NT handled Usenet.
>> Like many who used to post on this group I also run Arachne and
>> will continue to do so but I don't like Google groups. Is there
>> a simpler way of getting Usenet groups (and posting) with Arachne?
>> Thanks
>> Alan

>Hi, Alan. I'm still here, but unfortunately, I can't help you. I wish
>I could use Net-Tamer on broadband, too, but that doesn't seem to be
>possible. As for Arachne, I think Michael P. has quit developing it, too.
>I hope the last to leave the room remenbers to turn out the lights and
>lock the door.

Hello Tom and Alan,

I monitor this newsgroup and also I am a subscriber to the Nettamer
Mailing List. I subscribe also to one of the Arachne mailing lists.
The Arachne mailing list that I subscribe to is
"Arach...@coollist.com". That one is the Arachne list where most
of the Arachne old-timers hang out.

I use Nettamer for doing most of the newsgroups that I do.

There is a member of the Arachne mailing list who has developed a
plug-in for Arachne for retrieving newsgroup messages but not for
posting to newsgroups.

Michel Polak GNU'd Arachne about 18 months ago and he released the
source code. Arachne is still in active development by various
groups, including the group that subscribes to the same Arachne mailing
list that I mentioned.

I am still on dialup as are almost all of the other internet users in
the neck of the woods where I live.

Regards,

Sam Heywood
--
NTReader v0.32w(O)/Beta (Registered) in conjunction with Net-Tamer.

Tom Rutherford

May 26, 2005, 7:30:51 AM5/26/05

<shey...@MyRealBox.com> wrote in message

> On Tue, 24 May 2005 11:32:45 GMT "Tom Rutherford" <t...@nospam.invalid>
> wrote:
>
> > <knu...@nojunk.komm> wrote in message
> >>

> >> Is there anybody still monitoring this group?
> >> I feel like the last person on the planet!
> >> I'm soon to change over to broadband, so unfortunately it seems
> >> like the end of the road for Nettamer for me (sob). Particularly
> >> liked the manner in which NT handled Usenet.
> >> Like many who used to post on this group I also run Arachne and
> >> will continue to do so but I don't like Google groups. Is there
> >> a simpler way of getting Usenet groups (and posting) with Arachne?
> >> Thanks
> >> Alan
>
> >Hi, Alan. I'm still here, but unfortunately, I can't help you. I wish
> >I could use Net-Tamer on broadband, too, but that doesn't seem to be
> >possible. As for Arachne, I think Michael P. has quit developing it,
too.
> >I hope the last to leave the room remenbers to turn out the lights and
> >lock the door.
>
> Hello Tom and Alan,

Hi, Sam.

> I monitor this newsgroup and also I am a subscriber to the Nettamer
> Mailing List. I subscribe also to one of the Arachne mailing lists.

Yeah, I see you in here, generating at least a third of the traffic. :-)

> The Arachne mailing list that I subscribe to is
> "Arach...@coollist.com". That one is the Arachne list where most
> of the Arachne old-timers hang out.

Thank you! I might just subscribe to that, just for grins. How busy is it?

> I use Nettamer for doing most of the newsgroups that I do.

I haven't checked to see how it would fare in the command line mode of
Win2KPro, which is where I'm at now. I built a new box last month, broke it
on Friday the 13th, and it looks like it's fixed. I always learn something
*not* to do when I build a computer. This time, it's this: Unless you can
actually *see* what you're doing, *don't* use a Barton-series Athlon without
a spacer between it and the CPU cooler. Also, don't cheap out *on* the CPU
cooler. The one I used at first did a good job of cooling, but it was
noisy. This one doesn't cool as well, but it's quieter. Bigger, slower
fan.

> There is a member of the Arachne mailing list who has developed a
> plug-in for Arachne for retrieving newsgroup messages but not for
> posting to newsgroups.

Hey, it's a start. :-)

> Michel Polak GNU'd Arachne about 18 months ago and he released the
> source code. Arachne is still in active development by various
> groups, including the group that subscribes to the same Arachne mailing
> list that I mentioned.

Cool! I'm glad folks are still messing with it.

> I am still on dialup as are almost all of the other internet users in
> the neck of the woods where I live.

I hope things change so you *can* have broadband if you want it.

"She said it was either her or the ham radio. Over."

(Reply-To address may be anti-spammed.)

Peter Lawrence

May 27, 2005, 9:26:15 AM5/27/05
Replying to this posting:

Is there anybody still monitoring this group?
I feel like the last person on the planet!
I'm soon to change over to broadband, so unfortunately it seems
like the end of the road for Nettamer for me (sob). Particularly
liked the manner in which NT handled Usenet.
Like many who used to post on this group I also run Arachne and
will continue to do so but I don't like Google groups. Is there
a simpler way of getting Usenet groups (and posting) with Arachne?
Thanks
Alan

Yes, there is a way to do it, sort of. I've only just found out
about it, and I'm still experimenting with it, but here's this
reply to you I've composed tediously offline with text editors,
that I'm posting via an email to usenet facility.

I'm sending it from Arachne as an email to
mail2news-20050527-alt....@anon.lcs.mit.edu
following the model of
mail2news-YYYY...@anon.lcs.mit.edu

I scrounged up some fuller details at
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/internet-services/access-via-email/
which I found from googling dinosaur's garden and following links,
and some more from
http://riot.eu.org/anon/doc/nym.html
which I found by googling pages containing the term "nym.alias.net".
That last told me how to set up the references etc. I need to make this
into a follow up post.

I still don't know everything - this very reply is another test - and
to make full use of the facilities I would need a convenient utility,
maybe an Arachne APM (as I'm using Arachne). I only expect to use the
posting facility as I normally lurk with google. I would use that for
posting too, only it needs the sort of javascript stuff that doesn't
work with Arachne. Up until now I've done any posting with another
browser.

Let me know what you think of it (I'm not using the anonymising side of
this service). Please let me know if you find out how to cross post
without using separate mail ids, as I would like to be able to reply
cleanly to posts which are themselves cross posted. Likewise, if you
happen to work up a utility to help with posting, let me know that too.
PML.
GST+NPT=JOBS

I.e., a Goods and Services Tax (or almost any other broad based production tax),
with a Negative Payroll Tax, promotes employment.

See http://member.netlink.com.au/~peterl/publicns.html#AFRLET2 and the other
items on that page for some reasons why.

-- Arachne V1.77+/B~5

Peter Lawrence

May 27, 2005, 6:15:38 AM5/27/05

Yes, there is a way to do it, sort of. I've only just found out
about it, and I'm still experimenting with it. You can see the result of my
experiment with this newsgroup elsewhere in this thread; it looks as though I
still have to find out how to make the facility connect replies to the
original messages properly (I'm now using a different browser than Arachne to
check all this, one with newsgroup functionality).

By the way, there is also an email to fax facility I use occasionally,
http://www.tpc.net. Unfortunately it no longer provides service within
Melbourne or Sydney. PML.

shey...@myrealbox.com

May 30, 2005, 4:13:38 AM5/30/05

On Fri, 27 May 2005 13:37:15 +0011 "Peter Lawrence" <pet...@netlink.com.au>
wrote:

>Replying to this posting:

Peter:

Thanks for the info on some of the various methods of doing newsgroups.

Nettamer also lacks the capability for rendering JavaJunk. Nettamer
accesses and downloads newsgroup messages directly with its very own
built-in nntp client. Nettamer's nntp client provides also a capability
for posting messages to newsgroups directly and also for replying
directly to messages posted in newsgroups. Nettamer can do all that
without the user resorting to work-arounds involving the use of its web
browser functions.

In most cases cross-posting and cross-posters are not OK. The practice
of cross-posting is very strongly discouraged on Usenet except in a
few rare cases where the cross-poster is deemed to be OK by a consensus
of the denizens who decide upon who is OK for cross-posting who should
be best left alone and ignored. Most cross-posters are just trying to
seek some attention and trying to stir up a whole lot of trouble among
a whole lot of people. I generally endeavor to avoid doing any
cross-posting except in a few very rare cases. Also I generally avoid
replying to cross-posters because I know that I would be quite often
disapproved of for doing that. I know that in almost all cases my
critics would have very good reasons for disapproving of my
cross-posting and my replying to cross-posters.

Ron

Jul 25, 2005, 12:35:05 AM7/25/05
Hi: I just discovered Nettamer and am in the process of using it on a
486 Compaq laptop. I'm hoping to turn the laptop into something useful
again by using DOS on e-mail and maybe some simple browsing.
Presently am getting script errors. Hope to work that out.
Very happy to find Nettamer!
RON

Alexandre Fernandes

Sep 21, 2020, 4:57:02 PM9/21/20