Looking for a good table scanner

regressist

Nov 27, 2019, 11:42:58 AM11/27/19
Hi all,

I would like to buy a table scanner of good quality. I have experience only with professional scanners like Xerox Workcentre 5665 which I believe is absolutely the best but of course not in my range; the features I am looking for are:

- scanning to pdf of magazines and documents (maybe once in a while some picture in jpg)
- I do not want to make postprocessing, deskew etc. the file comes out in pdf and must be ok immediately
- possibility to set arbitrary dimensions, e.g. 135 x 215 mm, i.e. I do not want fixed formats to force the result with large white margins
- possibly A3 but at least A4
- possibility to set the margins of the pages, e.g. 1mm, 2mm white in the pages of the final pdf
- possibly automatic feeder not necessarily double face, I can scan separately even and odd pages and then merge the files, BUT the feeder must work well, it should not freeze frequently
- optimal compression algorithm for the pdf file: for instance in text modality a magazine with 32 pages in color 169x239 mm, 300dpi, must come out with a good quality file (even if there are some pictures) of 4 or 5MB, not 35MB; this is an important requirement, only Xerox meets it among the high level scanners I tested

After some search I thought to the Xerox DocuMate 4830 which costs a lot more than the 1000$ or € I am thinking to spend; but I read an horrible review on Amazon.com, the guy says not to take it even if Xerox pays you!

Maybe the requirements are too hard and there is not a scanner meeting them, I ask anyway any suggestion based on real experience since I am not able to find any mention of some of them in the specs of the manufacturers, so I may have to be highly disappointed if I buy blindly

Thanks a lot in advance to whomever will share with me his experience, even though looks like in this group there is very little activity