scanning 'shiny' docs

scbs29

Dec 22, 2013, 6:03:16 PM12/22/13
Hello all
Occasionally I need to scan a document/picture/illustration which
contains 'shiny' bits that look metallic. Sometimes the scan is not
too bad, with the shiny bits scanning as black. Sometimes the scan is
not good at all, being grainy. I realise that the problems are caused
by the light being scattered by the shiny bits, but is there any
technique to keep this to a minimum and get a good scan ?

--
remove fred before emailing
Registered Linux User 490858

Thiophilus

Dec 23, 2013, 1:38:55 AM12/23/13
On Mon, 23 Dec 2013 00:03:16 +0100, scbs29 <scb...@fred.talktalk.net>
wrote:

>Hello all
>Occasionally I need to scan a document/picture/illustration which
>contains 'shiny' bits that look metallic. Sometimes the scan is not
>too bad, with the shiny bits scanning as black. Sometimes the scan is
>not good at all, being grainy. I realise that the problems are caused
>by the light being scattered by the shiny bits, but is there any
>technique to keep this to a minimum and get a good scan ?

Are you referring to the sheen in some old B/W photos? It's caused by
metallic silver particles in the emulsion.

I don't think there is a perfect solution -- try rotating the original
in the scanner, or photographing instead of scanning. Low-angled
lights might help.

Your word "all" is an exaggeration. You and I are probably the only
ones here.

Th