Vuescan RGBI TIFF in Standard Edition?

desktop...@gmail.com

Apr 13, 2008, 8:12:15 PM4/13/08
Hi all,

I've recently purchased a Nikon LS-2000 and would like to try ICE
removal on Kodachromes.

As ICE is not recommended on Kodachrome I thought the best way of
going about it would be to scan as 64 bit RGBI and use the Infrared
channel to remove defects manually in Photoshop (by inspecting the IR
channel and isolating the genuine defects from the film emulsion
itself).

My Vuescan Standard edition allows saving as 64 bit RGBI TIFF, but the
channel is not being recognised in Photoshop.

Do I need the Professional edition for this? Note that I'm not saving
a RAW file, I'm just basically wanting Vuescan to save as a TIFF as
per normal, except that I want to save the IR channel as well.

MoiMoi

Apr 15, 2008, 5:41:35 PM4/15/08
[This followup was posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanners and a copy was
sent to the cited author.]

In article <a8e2b630-84f5-4727-a94d-255868c09995
@a9g2000prl.googlegroups.com>, desktop...@gmail.com says...

First of all, I'm taking the liberty of copying comp.periphs.scanners
in this reply. It's more mainstream; this group you started with is
little frequented.

I'm guessing that you are correct about the standard/professional
versions of VueScan, but I don't know this for a fact. I haven't kept up
with VS for a while as haven't really scanned much of anything in couple
years, 'cept for quickie flatbed copy stuff.

At any rate, I have Nikon 2000, and just used Vuescan "pro" 8.3.68,
saved as 64 RGBI tiff, and photoshop CS 8, certainly sees IR channel (as
"alpha 1), and certainly sees all the dust therein.

HTH,
MM

Nigel Feltham

May 22, 2009, 7:54:29 PM5/22/09
desktop...@gmail.com wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've recently purchased a Nikon LS-2000 and would like to try ICE
> removal on Kodachromes.
>
> As ICE is not recommended on Kodachrome I thought the best way of
> going about it would be to scan as 64 bit RGBI and use the Infrared
> channel to remove defects manually in Photoshop (by inspecting the IR
> channel and isolating the genuine defects from the film emulsion
> itself).

Have you tried just ignoring the common advice and using Vuescan's buit-in
version of ICE anyway, set to the lowest setting you can get away with that
removes enough of the dirt (obviously varies from frame to frame as some
will be cleaner than others) - while not generally recommended it's worked
on the few kodachrome films I've tried it on (with both the LS-2000 and the
LS-30).

Things have improved a lot in the ICE technology since these old scanners
were made so both Nikon's own driver for the newer USB scanners and Vuescan
for the older ones are able to handle Kodachromes better (still no chance
of ICE on black&white film though).