Epson Perfection 2450 Photo slide scanning problem

Jan Lanser

Aug 20, 2002, 3:27:50 PM8/20/02
Since last week I have an Epson Perfection 2450 Photo scanner. The first few
times slide-scanning was ok. The recognition process in the Twain driver
(version 5.54D) was able to determine the slides and scanning was ok. But
since yesterday the recognition process is not able to recognize slides (or
negatives), only photo's are recognized. Also manual scanning of slides is
not working!

Can someone tell me if there should be a burning light (not the blue
indication light on the front, that's working!) in the top of the scanner? I
think there should be for scanning slides? The first times that I have
scanned slides I haven't noticed if there was a light, and now I don't see
any light comming from the top of the scanner.

Thanks in advance,
Jan Lanser

Geoff Bryant

Aug 21, 2002, 6:15:38 AM8/21/02
Check that the connecting cable from the back of the lid is plugged in to
the main body of the scanner. It's a loose fit and is easily disconnected by
accident. If it happens you'll loose the slide scanning option in Epson
Twain. Plugging it back in while the scanner is on won't work, you need to
turn the scanner off, plug in, then power it up again.

I hope your problem is something as simple as this.

Geoff Bryant

"Jan Lanser" <ne...@nospam.lsr.myweb.nl> wrote in message

Jan Lanser

Aug 23, 2002, 4:13:23 PM8/23/02
I'm afraid that the light in the topcover of the scanner is defect. After
reinstalling the software on the same and on another PC an reconnecting the
scanner I still couldn't scan slides. The blue indication light on the front
is on when I manually set the driver to scan slides (TPU: positive), but
furtheron there is no light in the scanner. I presume that the bottom light
aught to be of, but that the light in the cover ought to be on?! Well there
is no light!!!!

Does anyone know if I myself can change the bulb and how much it costs? I
think when I bring my scanner back to the shop where I bought it, I must
wait for a few weeks before it will be returned and I want to scan!!!

Thanks in advance,
Jan Lanser

"Geoff Bryant" <geoff...@xtra.co.nz> schreef in bericht

Leonard Evens

Aug 24, 2002, 12:47:43 PM8/24/02
Jan Lanser wrote:
> I'm afraid that the light in the topcover of the scanner is defect. After
> reinstalling the software on the same and on another PC an reconnecting the
> scanner I still couldn't scan slides. The blue indication light on the front
> is on when I manually set the driver to scan slides (TPU: positive), but
> furtheron there is no light in the scanner. I presume that the bottom light
> aught to be of, but that the light in the cover ought to be on?! Well there
> is no light!!!!

The top light should certainly be on when the scanner is scanning film.
But it isn't necessarily on just when transparency scanning is
selected. In my case, it comes on and then goes off at some
indeterminate time, coming on again only when I scan.

The problem could be something other than the light. If the scanning
array is moving but the light isn't coming on, there is definitely
something wrong with the light. But if the array never moves and the
green light on the front doesn't blink when you try to scan film, then
there is probably something else wrong. It could be hardware or
software. If it is software or the hardware in the computer rather
than in the scanner, it might work when connected to another computer.

I would not try changing the light myself. As noted above, that might
not be the problem anyway, and getting the right lamp and details on
disassembly might take you almost as long as taking it in for repair.
But check it first on another computer if possible to be sure it is the
scanner.

--
Leonard Evens l...@math.northwestern.edu 847-491-5537

Jan Lanser

Aug 24, 2002, 4:34:33 PM8/24/02

"Leonard Evens" <l...@math.northwestern.edu> schreef in bericht

> Jan Lanser wrote:
> > I'm afraid that the light in the topcover of the scanner is defect.
After
> > reinstalling the software on the same and on another PC an reconnecting
the
> > scanner I still couldn't scan slides. The blue indication light on the
front
> > is on when I manually set the driver to scan slides (TPU: positive), but
> > furtheron there is no light in the scanner. I presume that the bottom
light
> > aught to be of, but that the light in the cover ought to be on?! Well
there
> > is no light!!!!
>
> The top light should certainly be on when the scanner is scanning film.
> But it isn't necessarily on just when transparency scanning is
> selected. In my case, it comes on and then goes off at some
> indeterminate time, coming on again only when I scan.
>
> The problem could be something other than the light. If the scanning
> array is moving but the light isn't coming on, there is definitely
> something wrong with the light. But if the array never moves and the
> green light on the front doesn't blink when you try to scan film, then
> there is probably something else wrong. It could be hardware or
> software. If it is software or the hardware in the computer rather
> than in the scanner, it might work when connected to another computer.

In my case the scanning array is moving when I try to scan slides, bus, as I
mentioned before there is no top light!
The bottom lught is working well and I can actually scan photo's.

I tried the scanner on another computer (with Windows 2000, my other PC is
on Windows XP), but I had no success.

Thanks for your advice, I think I bring my scanner in and hope they change
the light.
Jan Lanser