Slotkets on the PIIIDM3 - An update

Jeffrey Mahoney

May 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/31/00

Hello all -

I recently posted regarding my success using the MSI MS-6905 Master
slocket with my Supermicro PIIIDM3 and a FC-PGA P3 600EB. My only
complaint was that I couldn't get the other CPU to work.

Today, my system is running using both CPUs.

After some hunting around and a wasted $50 on a pair of IWill Slocket
II's [*], I found my solution. It seems that the MS-6905 Master is
trivial to enable SMP on, if you've got moderate soldering skills.

Pin N33 is labeled as "Reserved" on Intel's data sheet, but seems to be
the Coppermine equivalent of the magical Celeron SMP pin. What's better
is that since the MS-6905 Master supports "Dual PPGA Celeron" mode, the
necessary traces are already there.. The only thing different is that
"special pin" is in a different location. So, by soldering a wire from
pin N33 of the PGA370 socket to pin 3 of jumper J3, the MSI slocket can
handle dual coppermines.

[*]: The IWill slocket wouldn't work at all, even with a single CPU and
the CPU terminator installed.

-Jeff

--
Jeffrey Mahoney