P6DGE and P-III 1GHz

Thomas Elser

Aug 22, 2001, 3:40:19 PM8/22/01
Hast anyone tried two P-III 1GHz in a P6DGE?
What CPU revision is supporting Dualprocessing?

Thanks

Thomas

Hugh Bonney

Aug 22, 2001, 6:46:41 PM8/22/01
Thomas Elser <thomas...@hotmail.com> wrote:
: Hast anyone tried two P-III 1GHz in a P6DGE?

: What CPU revision is supporting Dualprocessing?

: Thanks

: Thomas

Actually, where can people get slot one P-III's?
They seem to be rapidly disappearing. Will SM do
the voltage regulator change any more?

One would think that any 1ghz PIII would be at a
rev level that would support smp, though.

Hugh---

CB

Aug 22, 2001, 7:38:37 PM8/22/01

http://www.googlegear.com/ggweb/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80607

> They seem to be rapidly disappearing. Will SM do
> the voltage regulator change any more?
>
> One would think that any 1ghz PIII would be at a
> rev level that would support smp, though.
>
> Hugh---

The first 1ghz chips would not do smp reliably. The Intel spec sheets
include a table of the smp compatibility.

CB

BadSweetums

Aug 22, 2001, 11:45:58 PM8/22/01
It should work. I am running dual 1 Gig P IIIs on a P6DBU. No
problems.

A DGE should use the same bios without the Adaptec U2W SCSI bios
add-ons.

You should have no problems if you have the right VRMs built onto your
board.

As to availability, SECC2 (Slot 1) 1000E (100 MHz fsb) processors are
the only ones available at the shopping search engines, PriceWatch and
iBuyer.net. GoogleGear.com had them for $209 each the last time I
looked, yesterday.

I have not seen any FC-PGA 1 GHz 100 MHz fsb CPUs. Most 1 GHz CPUs
use a 133MHz fsb that SM's P6Dxx series can't use properly. They
should post; but they will probably show up as 750 MHz CPUs unless you
use the alternative manufacturer's settings in the Advanced Chipset
Features bios menu. 133 MHz is probably not a very viable fsb setting
on any SM Intel 440BX/GX board

There may be a price drop next week around the 26th; or, prices may
start rising. Slot One 1 GHz (100 MHz fsb)processors are supposedly
obsolete and packaged for a few specialized applications. Mine came
in boxes that stated they were only certified to be compatible with a
few server motherboards.

I purchased mine because things are starting to look iffy for P III
processors. Intel seems very disappointed that people are not rushing
out to buy P IVs. There is a rumor that Intel may stop shipping P
IIIs at the end of August; or, that the major resellers will drop them
at Intel's request.

Thank SM for being brave enough to post that the P6DBU had been tested
and found up to the task. I would have done it anyway but it's nice
to know someone else did it first.