Sy-6BB-coppermine

LK

Jun 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/8/00
The 6BB supports PIII up to 600 and CeleronsI up to 533. Has anyone tried to
run coppermine with converter cards? And up to what speed?

Thanks.

Lutz

John Howland

Jun 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/9/00
A Coppermine PIII should not work, I would think a 533A or higher Coppermine core Celeron would
work but have not tested or gotten info from Soyo as to if it will.

--

----------
Specialty Tech - Mainboard's, CPU's, Memory & More...

Johnny Moda

Jun 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/9/00

"LK" <kae...@together.net> wrote in message
> The 6BB supports PIII up to 600 and CeleronsI up to 533. Has anyone tried
> run coppermine with converter cards? And up to what speed?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Lutz

I don't think SY-6BB, particlarly the early non v1.0 version, can get down
to 1.6v - 1.65v core voltage. Many early BX's can get no lower than 1.8v

Chuck Andersen

Jun 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/12/00
John Howland <jhow...@specialtytech.com> wrote:
: A Coppermine PIII should not work, I would think a 533A or higher Coppermine core Celeron would

: work but have not tested or gotten info from Soyo as to if it will.

John, my offer is still good that I will try a 533a or 566 on my 6bb-v1.0
board for you since you dont have that board. :)

Here's the soyousa support response to me when I inquired about the
6bb-v1.0 abd the celeron2 coppermines :

> Dear Customer,
> the chip set is too old to handle this CPU.
> With Regards
> Saeed,

When I questioned the response about the BX chipset, I got the
following response:

> Dear Customer,
> what you are saying is true. we also have a 6BA+III and 6BA+IV that are
> based on the 440BX chipset. with bios upgrades on these boards you can use
> the PIII up to 800MHz (100MHz only) and CeleronII up to 566MHz. but this
> board has a old power and bus switch regulator; there for, it will not
> support it.
> With Regards
> Saeed,

Not sure what the real answer is since he went from the chipset to the
regulator. I am assuming it will never work. Still wish I had gotten
the Abit BH6 at the time, they are running at 533/800, 566/850.

Chuck Andersen

Jun 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/13/00
John Howland <jhow...@specialtytech.com> wrote:
: Send me your 6BB & I'll be happy to tell you if a C566 works <G>...
: 6BB BIOS is too small for adding the Coppermine info to it, also the
: voltage regulators as noted are not designed for it.

You did indicate that you thought a 533a or above celery would work though
on the 6bb-v1.0. This last comment implies that it won't. Do you still
feel it should? If there will be no BIOS release for it, do you mean you
feel it might run with the latest existing bios?

So if I buy a C566 from you and it doesnt fly, will you take it back? <g>
Chuck

John Howland

Jun 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/13/00
I'd think it should work, as for the BIOS even if it doesn't ID it correctly I'd expect it to be
OK. I've run Coppermine Celeron 566's on a few Socket 370 Soyo MoBo's that either think it's a PIII
and/or reports the speed incorrectly - but runs OK. Also have run on an early 6BA+ III & 6VBA 133
that do not support Coppermine PIII (no boot) & the Celeron 566 ran fine.

--

Chuck Andersen <ande...@nospam.verinet.com> wrote in message