6BB-> 6VBA: PCI Settings?

JK

Nov 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/28/00
I recently moved all of my peripherals, RAM, Celeron 566 CPU, discs,
etc. from a 6BB to a 6VBA. The system runs fine at 66MHz system
bus.

I have a troublesome PCI card (Layla sound interface card) which is
very sensitive to the PCI bus speed. In the 6BB I was able to run at
75 MHz system bus (37.5 MHz PCI clock) with this card but could not
get to 83 MHz. With the 6VBA I am able to POST at 75 MHz, load
most of the Windows drivers, but I don't make it all the way through
the Windows '98 boot.

When I remove the Layla card, I successfully boot to Windows at 75
MHz, so I believe the problem is the Layla card and the PCI bus.

In the 6VBA bios there is a page for setting PNP/PCI configuration.
There are 5 parameters which seem to set the PCI configuration:

CPU to PCI write buffer
PCI dynamic bursting
PCI master 0 WS write
PCI delay transaction
PCI #2 Access #1 retry

There are also 2 AGP parameters which I'm assuming are not relevant.

I tried all 32 combinations of enabling/disabling these parameters and
still could not get through a Windows '98 boot.

Does anyone have a suggestion for how these BIOS PCI settings might be
set so I can get the clock speed back to where I was with the 6BB?

JK

t7...@my-deja.com

Dec 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/6/00
Just a minute, are you saying that you had a celeron 566 (FCPGA) running
on a 6bb? Was this a 6bb v1.0? What rev BIOS? Many have failed trying
to get the coppermine celerons to run on the 6BB.

In article <t28p3qp...@corp.supernews.com>,

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.