6BB and Pentium III

yok...@hotmail.com

Dec 22, 2000, 3:59:38 PM12/22/00
Hi All....

I have a 6BB V 1.0 MoBo currently running a 366 MHz Celeron. I have
been very pleased with the performance of this combo thus far, but I
would like to upgrade to a 600 MHz Pentium III--the max that it will
do. I have been out of touch for a couple of years on all of the
different types of Pentium III's. However, I have tried to do some
research to confirm which CPU will work in my MoBo and I would like
some of your guys' input to make sure I buy the right one!!

As far as I can tell, I need the 600 MHz with 512k cache and 100 MHz
front side bus. I think the code name is Katmai?? Am I correct in
assuming that the 600e (Coppermine?) or 600 b with 256k and 133 MHz
bus won't work? Do any of you guys have experience running this combo?

Oh yes, BTW I did buy PC100 compliant memory when I put the system
together just in case I wanted to overclock it!!

Thank you for your advice..

Jim

John Howland

Dec 22, 2000, 11:34:39 PM12/22/00
Coppermine core PIII will NOT work.

--

---------------
Specialty Tech - Main Boards, CPU, Memory and more...

<yok...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Lowell Greenberg

Dec 24, 2000, 7:56:44 AM12/24/00
The Katmai PIII 600 will not work with certain 6BB/6BB V. 1 motherboards.
Further there is apparently no way (from Soyo) to verify which PCB version
of the 6BB will work with the PIII 600/Katmai. You are safer with the PIII
550.

Finally, regardless of the chip you purchase, overclocking a PIII is
problematic with this board, since your only option would be to increase the
bus speed over 100 Mhz and the motherboard has no way to keep the PCI bus
speeds at the standard 33 Mhz when doing so. The same can also be set for
the AGP settings, ie, the AGP divisor is fixed. Also, the CPU's voltage
cannot be increased via the BIOS- another "trick" used by overclockers to
stabilize a chip that might otherwise not be stable at a higher
multiplier/bus speed. Incidentally, Intel did this to a small degree with
the PIII 600 Katmai, and this may explain some of its incompatibility with
the 6BB.

As for PC 100 memory- it should be quality 8 ns, CAS 2 to have a realistic
chance of overclocking, with quality P133 memory even better.

"John Howland" <jhow...@specialtytech.com> wrote in message

tonys

Jan 5, 2001, 12:50:39 AM1/5/01
that is funny......got a P3 600 running on my 6bb........the old Katmai

"Lowell Greenberg" <x...@earthlink.net> wrote in message