6BB - Problems.

Daniel A. Landry

Apr 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/26/00
I am hoping that someone out there can help me with the following.

I have an AOpen Case with a 200W power supply, and I am using the AT
connectors to connect to the motherboard. I am using a single 64 mb simm of
SDRAM, a Celeron 366 (Slot 1) and a Sound Blaster PCI video card.

When I boot the computer, I receive a 'siren' sound from the PC speaker. I
checked Soyo's site and it stated that I needed to make sure I have the FSB
(front side bus) set correctly to 66 MHz. It also stated that I then need
to clear the CMOS and move the SDRAM to the different sockets. I tried all
of that and I still have the same problems. I tried a PIII 500 in the
system and a different SDRAM (128 mb PC100) and it still did the same thing.
I did notice that there is no power button cable coming from the case that
plugs into the motherboard, but nevertheless, it receives power when the
power button is pressed. I put a jumper on the connector for the power
button, but it still did not work.

Any suggestions? I have thought it could be the power supply, but I'm just
not sure.

--

Daniel A. Landry
Associate Development Analyst

Deja.com Sux

Apr 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/26/00
In article <OfKN4.54246
$h6.2...@typhoon.jacksonville.mediaone.net>, "Daniel A.
Landry" <dla...@mediaone.net> wrote:

>When I boot the computer, I receive a 'siren' sound from
>the PC speaker. I checked Soyo's site and it stated that
>I needed to make sure I have the FSB (front side bus)
>set correctly to 66 MHz. It also stated that I then
>need to clear the CMOS and move the SDRAM to the different
>sockets. I tried all of that and I still have the same
>problems. I tried a PIII 500 in the system and a
>different SDRAM (128 mb PC100) and it still did the same
>thing.

Soyo knows that the problem isn't just badly seated chips or
memory modules or incorrect bus speed settings, but they refuse
to admit this.

The problem is an incompatibility between the motherboard and
the power supply's Power-Good signal. This signal is supposed
to turn on after a certain time delay after all the voltages
have stabilized, but the motherboard generates some of its own
voltages, and one of these probably isn't ready by the time the
Power-Good signal turns on, and that makes the voltage-
monitoring chip to put out a false alarm. I've been able to
confirm this by changing the timing of the Power-Good signal
(change a capacitor inside the power supply). You'd think that
Soyo would redesign its BIOS to ignore this false alarm, but so
far they haven't.

Deja.com Sux

Apr 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/26/00
In article <ONLN4.54266

>Isn't it great when these manufacturers know the problem
>but fail to do anything about it.

Especially when the company is sooooo "responsive" to customer
questions the way Soyo is. :(

>So know that I know the problem, what can I do about it?
>What did you do? How hard would it be for me to change this
>resistor? Should I buy a new power supply? Would that fix
>it, or should I give up and buy a different board?

I trace back from the orange Power-Good wire (on AT computers,
it may have a red +5V wire next to it, or that socket may be
empty) to the circuit board and try changing small capacitors in
the area one at a time until the siren problem disappears. Look
for individual transistors or a comparator chip (like an LM339)
and also for high-value resistors (usually 10K to 500K - orange
or yellow band) in series with the capacitor. Increase the
capacitance or the resistance by 100%, but if that doesn't work,
double it again. And if that doesn't work, cut back to 50% of
the original value. You can solder another capacitor across the
existing one to increase its value, but resistors have to be
removed if you need a higher value (use copper desoldering
braid, not a solder sucking bulb, which can damage the circuit
board from excess heat). Remember that some capacitors go in
only one way (one lead is positive, the other negative). But
don't work on a power supply unless you know how to get
electrocuted because several areas inside have exposed high
voltage during operation, and it's possible that some retain a
high voltage charge even several minutes after the supply is
turned off (but highly unlikely).

I'd first try another power supply, preferably a UL-approved one
of a different brand or model, but be sure you can can return it
for a 100% refund because there's no way to know for sure if it
will work or not.

Daniel A. Landry

Apr 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/27/00
Isn't it great when these manufacturers know the problem but fail to do
anything about it. So know that I know the problem, what can I do about it?

What did you do? How hard would it be for me to change this resistor?
Should I buy a new power supply? Would that fix it, or should I give up and
buy a different board? Thanks for the quick response.

Dan Landry
Deja.com Sux <prodigy_s...@my-deja.com.invalid> wrote in message
> In article <OfKN4.54246

> >When I boot the computer, I receive a 'siren' sound from
> >the PC speaker. I checked Soyo's site and it stated that
> >I needed to make sure I have the FSB (front side bus)
> >set correctly to 66 MHz. It also stated that I then
> >need to clear the CMOS and move the SDRAM to the different
> >sockets. I tried all of that and I still have the same
> >problems. I tried a PIII 500 in the system and a
> >different SDRAM (128 mb PC100) and it still did the same
> >thing.
>
> Soyo knows that the problem isn't just badly seated chips or
> memory modules or incorrect bus speed settings, but they refuse
> to admit this.
>
> The problem is an incompatibility between the motherboard and
> the power supply's Power-Good signal. This signal is supposed
> to turn on after a certain time delay after all the voltages
> have stabilized, but the motherboard generates some of its own
> voltages, and one of these probably isn't ready by the time the
> Power-Good signal turns on, and that makes the voltage-
> monitoring chip to put out a false alarm. I've been able to
> confirm this by changing the timing of the Power-Good signal
> (change a capacitor inside the power supply). You'd think that
> Soyo would redesign its BIOS to ignore this false alarm, but so
> far they haven't.

John Howland

Apr 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/27/00
I've sold quite a few 6BB's... never seen such a problem with a good quality P/S - as far as I
know there is no issue that warrants Soyo doing a redesign of the 6BB (basically a phased out MoBo
anyway) - if anything it's an issue of the user trying to use a poor quality P/S.

BTW - To the original poster... the Power Button connectors on the MoBo are for use with an ATX
P/S only, not to be used with an AT. Jumping them is not a good idea, if you were using an ATX P/S
the system would turn right off if you jumped the pins.

--

----------
Specialty Tech - Mainboard's, CPU's, Memory & More...

Deja.com Sux

Apr 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/27/00
In article <0g5O4.199$Q47.2...@news.pacbell.net>, "John
Howland" <jhow...@specialtytech.com> wrote:

>>The problem is an incompatibility between the motherboard and
>>the power supply's Power-Good signal. This signal is supposed
>>to turn on after a certain time delay after all the voltages
>>have stabilized, but the motherboard generates some of its own
>>voltages, and one of these probably isn't ready by the time the
>>Power-Good signal turns on, and that makes the voltage-
>>monitoring chip to put out a false alarm.

>I've sold quite a few 6BB's... never seen such a problem with a

>good quality P/S - as far as I know there is no issue that
>warrants Soyo doing a redesign of the 6BB (basically a phased
>out MoBo anyway) - if anything it's an issue of the user trying
>to use a poor quality P/S.

As you're aware, the problem is actually more likely to occur
with a quality supply than with a bad one, and since you know
the reason for this better than I do, I'm sure some people here
will be interested in reading it from you.

John Howland

larrymoencurly

Apr 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/28/00
In article <a%hO4.342$Q47.3...@news.pacbell.net>, "John

message news:210b6f64...@usw-ex0101-005.remarq.com...

>>The problem is an incompatibility between the motherboard and

>>the power supply's Power-Good signal. This signal is supposed
>>to turn on after a certain time delay after all the voltages
>>have stabilized, but the motherboard generates some of its own
>>voltages, and one of these probably isn't ready by the time the
>>Power-Good signal turns on, and that makes the voltage-
>>monitoring chip to put out a false alarm.

> Actually I'm not aware of it since I've never seen it - it

>was not a complaint that I recall hearing when the 6BB was a
>current production MoBo.

How can you say you aren't aware of the problem when you
participated in some threads about it in 1999 (some with the 6ba
instead of 6bb). You even suggested to those people that their
CPUs may not have been seated securely.

I don't understand why dealers are so unaware of common problems
that their customers experience. My dealer, Paragon Tech, also
said they never heard of the siren sound.

John Howland

May 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/1/00
As I said - it's not a problem I've run into... plain & simple. The same suggestions apply to the
6BB or any other Slot 1 MoBo - make sure your CPU is fully seated, same for AGP card... two most
common user errors. That is not a MoBo or design issue, it's a user / installer issue... same goes
for those with problems caused by sub standard components such as a P/S.

If it was a common problem I'd know about it - but since I've never seen it or had a tech support
call that turned out to be caused by a (as you put it) "... problem is an incompatibility between
the motherboard and the power supply's Power-Good signal. " then I see no problem for Soyo to
correct. Most dealers tend to use parts they have tested & know will work... it's when the end user
starts to mix components from all over problems can happen.

Since most of us dealers see a large sampling of MoBo's we sell it would be obvious if there was a
problem & when there is a problem Soyo corrects it.

BTW - I just installed a 6BB today... boots every time, as long as you don't install any more then
one of the odd ball memory the customer had been using in a M628. Will accept 3 good quality PC100
128MB SDRAM DIMM's though. Same DIMM's are fine in a VIA based MoBo (including a K7VIA), but not any
other BX I have (6BA+/III/IV) or an AMD 750. Is it a MoBo issue? - No, it's a memory issue....

--

----------
Specialty Tech - Mainboard's, CPU's, Memory & More...
Lake Forest, Calif. (949) 951-7067
http://www.specialtytech.com
----------

larrymoencurly <larrymoencu...@juno.com.invalid> wrote in message

larrymoencurly

May 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/1/00
In article <I3mP4.1147$Q47.9...@news.pacbell.net>, "John
Howland" <jhow...@specialtytech.com> wrote:

> As I said - it's not a problem I've run into... plain &
>simple.

Since you never saw it, it must not exist. :) But judging by
all the messages about the topic, it seems to be rather common.

>The same suggestions apply to the 6BB or any other Slot 1
>MoBo - make sure your CPU is fully seated, same for AGP
>card... two most common user errors.

Not in my case.

>That is not a MoBo or design issue, it's a user / installer
>issue... same goes for those with problems caused by sub
>standard components such as a P/S.

How do you explain why it happens much more with certain models
of BX boards than with others?

I would like to know the extent of your qualifications,
especially those related to true repairs and not just board
replacement.

John Howland

May 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/2/00
This is just about as clear as I can get since you seem to fail to understand what I've said:

It's not a common problem and is a user problem caused by using sub standard components...
therefore there is no problem with the MoBo & Soyo did NOT need to do any updates. If it was a
common problem I would not only know about it from my own testing, but also would have received
customer complaints... which I have not - So it's not common as you claim. I'd also have received
info from Soyo Tek. I've seen, tested, sold hundreds of 6BB's - how many have you seen, tested or
sold??

In checking my records I've only had one 6BB in the last 16 months that came back because the
customer couldn't get it to boot.... tested fine by us, worked fine in the system we updated for a
local customer. Original customer refused our suggestion of replacing his old no name P/S (and no
approvals) with a decent unit - fault was not the MoBo but most likely the P/S (we had shipped a
MoBo, CPU & memory).

--

----------
Specialty Tech - Mainboard's, CPU's, Memory & More...
Lake Forest, Calif. (949) 951-7067
http://www.specialtytech.com
----------

larrymoencurly <larrymoencu...@juno.com.invalid> wrote in message

hank...@my-deja.com

May 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/2/00
John,

Could you recommend some power supplies for the 6BB V1.0? Do you think
that the 250W AT sold at CompUSA would suffice?

Also (changing the subject a bit) do you know if the 6BB V1.0 would work
with a Celeron 500 or 533? I've read in this newsgroup that the manual
multiplier settings in the latest (A6) BIOS don't go to 7.5 or 8, but
that the AUTO setting will detect the correct multiplier. Also,
according to the same post, the previous BIOS (A5) had multipliers up to
8. Do you have any experience with these CPUs in the 6BB V1.0?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hank Wolfe
hwo...@umich.edu

In article <93FP4.26$4B.1...@news.pacbell.net>,

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

John Howland

May 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/2/00
I use just SPI (Sparkle) or Powerman...

Yes, should be fine with any of the "original" Celeron's... don't know about the new cores. The
6BB has been pretty much phased out, so no I've not run any of the newer CPU's with it.

--

----------
Specialty Tech - Mainboard's, CPU's, Memory & More...
Lake Forest, Calif. (949) 951-7067
http://www.specialtytech.com
----------

Daniel A. Landry

May 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/3/00
Wow. I didn't think my problem would cause this 'feud'. Anyways, I sent
the second SOYO back and am getting a different (newer) board, and a new
case. I did use a PC100 128 meg stick of ram, and I also tried a different
CPU (PIII 500). I don't really care to know what the true problem of the
board (or whatever) was. They will be resolved with this new stuff.

Adios and thanks for the info.
"John Howland" <jhow...@specialtytech.com> wrote in message

Sven Recker

May 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/3/00
Dear Daniel,
the 6BB have no support of the Celeron 533. The Board have no support of the
coppermine kernel, because they need 1.65 volt. An 500 is run fine with
7.5x66 an the newest bios.

Daniel A. Landry <dla...@mediaone.net> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
BmMP4.10924$BG3....@typhoon.jacksonville.mediaone.net...

Mage!

May 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/4/00
Larry. Mo et al,

>I would like to know the extent of your qualifications,
>especially those related to true repairs and not just board
>replacement.

John is the most helpful and knowledgable guy on this particular
newsgroup. Pissing him off is there not a very clever thing to do...

I respectfully suggest that you lurk in a NG for a while and find out
who's who before wading in with accusations about competence and/or
qualifications.

Anyway, in the interest of having something to contribute...

I have a 6BB V1.0, and have heard the alternating high-and-low tones,
which usually means one of two things:

1) CPU overheating (The BIOS detects this).
2) Problems with memory. Once it was indicative of a bad memory chip,
the second time was after I added a second DIMM. I swapped the DIMMS
over and the problem went away. I have no idea why...

Stephen

Dr. Dram

May 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/4/00
spam...@usa.net (Mage!) wrote in
>2) Problems with memory. Once it was indicative of a bad memory chip,
>the second time was after I added a second DIMM. I swapped the DIMMS
>over and the problem went away. I have no idea why...
>
>Stephen

probably dirty connection....

larrymoencurly

May 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/4/00
In article <d5l1hso1430drqvau...@4ax.com>, Mage!

<spam...@usa.net> wrote:
>Larry. Mo et al,
>
>>I would like to know the extent of your qualifications,
>>especially those related to true repairs and not just board
>>replacement.
>
>John is the most helpful and knowledgable guy on this particular
>newsgroup. Pissing him off is there not a very clever thing to
do...

I was asking out of curiousity, not to insult John, because a
person's qualifications often determine the answers he or she
gives.

>I respectfully suggest that you lurk in a NG for a while and
>find out who's who before wading in with accusations about
>competence and/or qualifications.

I have been reading this news group for over a year, and before
I ever ask a question here, I first search through the topic at
Deja.com.

>Anyway, in the interest of having something to contribute...
>
>I have a 6BB V1.0, and have heard the alternating high-and-low
>tones, which usually means one of two things:
>
>1) CPU overheating (The BIOS detects this).

Not likely when the computer is turned on for the first time of
the day, but originally I assumed there was a problem with the
heat measurement circuity and therefore turned off the
temperature monitoring in the BIOS.

>2) Problems with memory. Once it was indicative of a bad
>memory chip, the second time was after I added a second DIMM.
>I swapped the DIMMS over and the problem went away. I have no
>idea why...

I tried moving the DIMM(s), and tried different DIMMs, including
different makes, before I posted my question. I also took
voltage measurements and reseated every connector.

As I mentioned previously, the factors that both you, John, and
Soyo have listed do not apply to my motherboard's problem, and
from what I have read in this news group, neither do they apply
to many 6BB and 6BA motherboards with the siren problem.
However, changing the power supply helped me, and at least three
people here have provided credible, detailed explanations as to
why this should work.