994d Pro-a and W2k woes

Sounak Sinha

Apr 27, 2001, 3:45:08 PM4/27/01
Guys I am pretty stumped here - lets see if someone has any suggestions :
I have a power hungry setup which was running fine on a dual celeron Abit
BP6 mobo . Not with dual PIII on 694d. I was initially thinking could be an
SMPS prob - so upgraded the SMPS to 400W .

The problem is that often (once in 3 to 4 days) when I am shutting down the
computer the registry is getting so badly corrupted, that the box goes on
booting- resets- again boots-resets ... continuously. Even using an
emergency repair disk can solve the problem.

This registry corruption ONLY happens when I SHUT DOWN (or cold boot) the
system and NOT when I restarting it (warm boot)

Could it possibly be due to some incompatibility with the Maxtor HDD on
the Promise ATA100 slot ? I have not tried it as I dont down to downgrade
tp ATA66.

BTW how is MAxtor HDD doing these days ?

My setup is pretty loaded so quite power hungry.
These cards are on PCI
1) 10 Mbps Winbond Ethernet
2) TI 3 port IEEE 1394 Firewire card
3) Holywood Designs h/w DVD decoder card
4) SB Live 5.1

DIsplay is a ATI RAGE all in wonder pro 18 mb AGP

2 *750 Pentium III (not overclocked)
1 * 128 MB PC133 SDRAM - kingston

DVD drive on 686a IDE 1
cd writer on 686a IDE 2

Maxtor 45 GB 7200 rpm on Promise (265) IDE1

BIOS is 1.7 (i guess latest)

Sounak

lefty

Apr 27, 2001, 3:48:04 PM4/27/01
have you checked windowsupdate.microsoft.com lately?

there IS a fix for speedy drives... it turns out that windows shuts down
TOO fast on the newest fast processors and the drives onboard cache does not
have time to write everything to the drive before the power is turned off...

"Sounak Sinha" <ssi...@cisco.com> wrote in message

Sounak Sinha

Apr 27, 2001, 4:41:09 PM4/27/01
Yes I have SP1 installed and all necessary Windows updates.

Sounak

RogerP

Apr 28, 2001, 9:29:11 AM4/28/01

How wide is your AGP aperture 32. 64, 128?
Microsoft recommends 128MB ram, but advise that 256MB is better. I then
thought that if I had two CPU's I should possibly add another stick, as
I did.
The other thing that people say is another drive for your page file
(swap file).
Also have you got;
ACPI=active
PnP= bios no
MPS=1.4

Vapor

Apr 28, 2001, 10:09:55 AM4/28/01
If it is the write cache that is the problem - disable it on that drive in
device manager - worth a try i suppose.

Vapor

"Sounak Sinha" <ssi...@cisco.com> wrote in message

Sounak Sinha

May 7, 2001, 2:13:33 PM5/7/01
Problem found and taken care of - incompatibility of MAxtor 40GB 7200 rpm
drive with the Promise ATA100 chipset I had. (265) - on the onboard ATA66
slot there have been no problems.

Sounak