ummm....it kinda flashed bad :(

maestroec

May 26, 2001, 8:00:50 AM5/26/01
Hi everyone!

I tried to flash my BIOS the other day (GA-7IXE4 F7 to F8). I followed all
the instructions to the letter, started to flash, and what should happen? It
froze completely halfway through the process. I let it sit for a good half
hour before I restarted ... but it didn't go any further :(. I think the
floppy disk I used was a dud, and amflash837 doesn't seem to have saved my
old BIOS on the disk either *sigh*. Now all my PC does is try and read the
floppy drive, beep, try and read again, and then sits there beeping twice
repetitiously. I've been told a few things, I could salvage the old BIOS by
putting in an ISA video card??? and it would let me restore. Others have
told me that most motherboards have an "emergency" restore feature where
they'll read the old BIOS from the floppy straight away. I doubt either of
these are true :(. Does anyone have any solutions? I really don't want to
send the board back to Gigabyte...perhpas if I took it back to place of
purchase and "played dumb"? ;-)

Anyhow, thanks for your time, Elliott.

Garfield J Gibbs

May 26, 2001, 4:51:51 PM5/26/01
Hi There maestroec !!
I have just had exactly the same problem !! I'm also looking here for some
assistance.
Can anybody out there help us out ??

"maestroec" <maes...@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message

Paulio1025

May 26, 2001, 6:27:41 PM5/26/01
First off, try using an ISA video card. That does actually work sometimes.

if nothing else works, try this-updating the BIOS blind.
ok, first off, I will call the update utility AMIFLASH and the BIOS file
newbios.bin . Create a bootable floppy by formatting a disk using the copy
system files only option (not quick or full). Then create a new
autoexec.bat file on the floppy. In the file, place the following command
line:

AWDFLASH newbios.bin/SN/PY

Notice you will have to change either the filenames or what you write in the
autoexec.bat It should take a while, make sure has stopped for a while
before restarting. The SN and PY are answers to questions. S=save the old
bios, P=program new bios, with respective nos and yes's. Only use this if
nothing else works, I know this works with award bios but im not sure about
AMI.

--
Paul Rovero

"If the art looks crappy, it's really just abstract"
-Me
"Garfield J Gibbs" <garfiel...@btinternet.com> wrote in message

Tim

May 26, 2001, 9:44:19 PM5/26/01
For this motherboard there is a way to recover from a bad flash. First
of all, get a copy of a known good bios and rename it to AMIBOOT.ROM.
Put this on a floppy, leave it in the drive and reboot. Hold down
CTRL+INSERT until it starts beeping at you. When the beeping stops and
nothing happens for a while, remove the floppy and reboot. It should be
back to normal.

In article <3b0f9...@news01.one.net.au>, maes...@yahoo.com.au says...

maestroec

May 27, 2001, 12:23:17 AM5/27/01
The only trouble is, I've nowhere to get a good copy of a ROM. As I said,
the program never saved a copy of my original to the disk. I take it you
can't just download the ones from the Gigabyte support site, because they're
just "patches" to an original ROM?

Thanks for the help,
-Elliott
"Tim" <netd...@paradise.net.enzed> wrote in message

damian steward

May 27, 2001, 5:19:26 AM5/27/01

> The only trouble is, I've nowhere to get a good copy of a ROM. As I said,
> the program never saved a copy of my original to the disk. I take it you
> can't just download the ones from the Gigabyte support site, because
they're
> just "patches" to an original ROM?

They are _not_ patches. They are complete images for the roms.

cheers

maestroec

May 27, 2001, 5:40:56 AM5/27/01
Hmmm.......well I tried it, and it did the same thing it does when not
holding down ctrl-insert and just leaving a floppy disk in. Except this time
it beeps five times repetitiously instead of two. I read that that means
there's a faulty CPU (which it's not).
Time to send it back to Gigabyte I think *sigh*.

Thanks for everyone's help though :)

-Elliott

"maestroec" <maes...@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message

Andy Stubbs

May 27, 2001, 5:39:30 AM5/27/01
The one you download from Gigabyte should be sufficient

"maestroec" <maes...@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message

gbt-tech

May 29, 2001, 6:35:08 AM5/29/01
Ok don't send the board to Gigabyte because they won't take it! All board
returns have to be via your supplier. Mail your local support office, if
they are running the same system as us in the UK you should be able to send
them the bios chip for reprogramming which will fix the problem.
Mike Mullen
CST
Gigabyte UK

"maestroec" <maes...@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message

JOHN

May 30, 2001, 6:14:56 AM5/30/01
Many thanks for this tip.I had an old celeron ecs motherboard with a
corrupted (by me) bios and had tried the usual hot plugging into
another board and using a borrowed isa card but with no success.Made a
boot disk with the command line you suggested and it worked perfectly.

On Sat, 26 May 2001 22:27:41 GMT, "Paulio1025" <pauli...@home.com>