Asus: Made in China or Made in Taiwan?

Wee-Hung Martin Tong

Apr 26, 2001, 10:41:11 AM4/26/01
Hi all

Is the quality the same?

The motherboard at my work has an Asus A7V133 rev. 1.05 from Taiwan with a
professional looking onboard chipset fan.

I have just bought an Asus A7V133 rev. 1.05 for my home computer but this
board is from China and the onboard chipset fan looks cheapish.

Do I need to worry?

Regards, Martin

Steve Lionel

Apr 26, 2001, 11:27:58 AM4/26/01
"Wee-Hung Martin Tong" <wt....@cbs.dk> wrote in message

> The motherboard at my work has an Asus A7V133 rev. 1.05 from Taiwan with a
> professional looking onboard chipset fan.
>
> I have just bought an Asus A7V133 rev. 1.05 for my home computer but this
> board is from China and the onboard chipset fan looks cheapish.
>
> Do I need to worry?

Yes! That board from Taiwan has to be a fake! :-)

Steve

ac

Apr 26, 2001, 3:51:08 PM4/26/01
In article <28XF6.24563$bA2.6...@typhoon.ne.mediaone.net>,
st...@steveNOSPAMlionel.com says...
The Chinese should quietly reclaim land until they reach Taiwan. No
invasion needed ;)

Ken Very Big Liar

Apr 26, 2001, 3:08:51 PM4/26/01
On Thu, 26 Apr 2001 15:27:58 GMT, "Steve Lionel" <st...@steveNOSPAMlionel.com>
wrote:

>> I have just bought an Asus A7V133 rev. 1.05 for my home computer but this
>> board is from China and the onboard chipset fan looks cheapish.
>>
>> Do I need to worry?
>
>Yes! That board from Taiwan has to be a fake! :-)
>
>Steve

Isn't ASUS a Taiwanese company?

"Whatever you learn to do, do it well - and by all means, look good while doing it."
- me

Kelly Beard
Daffod1 on IM
http://members.home.net/apistogramma/

Bodi

Apr 26, 2001, 5:22:42 PM4/26/01
If someone went to the trouble of making a fake I think they would put a "made in
Taiwan" sticker on it. Probably Asus has assembly plants in China.

"Steve Lionel" <st...@steveNOSPAMlionel.com> wrote in message

DLC309

Apr 26, 2001, 8:09:11 PM4/26/01
If you go to the Asus web page, there is a lot of info. there about how to tell
if you have a fake MB or not.

Steve Lionel

Apr 26, 2001, 8:18:18 PM4/26/01
"Ken Very Big Liar" <apisto...@home.com> wrote in message

> On Thu, 26 Apr 2001 15:27:58 GMT, "Steve Lionel"
<st...@steveNOSPAMlionel.com>
> wrote:
>
> >> I have just bought an Asus A7V133 rev. 1.05 for my home computer but
this
> >> board is from China and the onboard chipset fan looks cheapish.
> >>
> >> Do I need to worry?
> >
> >Yes! That board from Taiwan has to be a fake! :-)
> >
> >Steve
> >
> Isn't ASUS a Taiwanese company?

Think of all the postings here about the "cheapish" fan Asus puts on the
A7V133. I was suggesting, humorously. if the fan on the Taiwanese version
looked well-built, then it had to be a fake! (Note the smiley face in my
original post.)

Steve

Rick Albert

Apr 26, 2001, 8:42:47 PM4/26/01
Best get the fake one made in Taiwan. It has a more professional looking
fan. (Chuckle)

Actually, Asus has them made in both places. More and more assembly is
being done in China. Cheaper labor.

Rick Lindsay

Apr 26, 2001, 9:18:11 PM4/26/01
Asus has significant production capability in mainland China. This was
started about
4 years ago.

Rick Lindsay, Lindsay Computer Systems,
This message is SHAREWARE, please register...

Andrus

Apr 27, 2001, 1:51:40 AM4/27/01
On Thu, 26 Apr 2001 15:27:58 GMT, "Steve Lionel"
<st...@steveNOSPAMlionel.com> wrote:

Hey!, Mine's made in mongolia. Genghis Khan woulda been proud. hehe.

earstone

Apr 27, 2001, 5:02:53 AM4/27/01
Well, except for the fact that Taiwan is an island.

Rick Albert

Apr 27, 2001, 11:47:09 AM4/27/01
Where have you been? Guys up here have asked about you and know one has
known your whereabouts? Are you back?

Rick
"Rick Lindsay" <rlin...@jump.bet> wrote in message

John D Groenveld

Apr 30, 2001, 10:06:13 AM4/30/01
In article <9cc44s$1i26$1...@news.gate.net>, Rick Albert <ral...@gate.net> wrote:
>Where have you been? Guys up here have asked about you and know one has
>known your whereabouts? Are you back?
Huh? Did you miss the "What happened to Rick Lindsay?" thread?

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&ic=1&th=8fca514508b46ef7&seekm=ypfwhzcarg.g96scr1.pminews%40news.jump.net#p
John
groe...@acm.org

Rick Lindsay

Apr 30, 2001, 9:27:41 PM4/30/01
On topic:
HP pressured Asustek to open production capacity outside of Taiwan
several years back. HP has been the largest customer of Asustek for
many years. That pressure resulted in the Made in Mainland China
Asus boards. Elan Vital also now moved their high volume production
to the mainland.

..and away we go off topic....

On Fri, 27 Apr 2001 11:47:09 -0400, Rick Albert wrote:

>Where have you been?

Working for www.jump.net just 40-50 hours a week vs. 60-90 hours a week,
raising my 9 year old son, playing lots of golf and enjoying the hell out of
not being a slave to this newsgroup. Now I get to read just what I want
and care about myself instead of every single message.

>Guys up here have asked about you and know one has
>known your whereabouts?

The only function remains of LCS is the email address, no longer even
found in my posts. Those that need it for service and support can find
it on or inside their cases or on the invoice. Between the Nasdaq slide
and the virtual death of the Elan Vital case line in the US, business
became no fun.

>Are you back?

Heck no. It is really nice to not be back too. There are plenty of other
people in here to lend a hand. I did it for something like 9 years. Other
than a few kind words from the president of Asustek once at Comdex,
my personal relationships with a group of really fine people within Asustek
Taiwan and Asus USA, my return on the investment of my time was just
too little anymore.

I certainly enjoyed the relationships developed through this newsgroup. I
still have a few megabytes of both positive and negative threads when the
desire to bore myself or laugh my butt off becomes irresistable..:)

With Google finally having relented and put the Deja usenet archive back
online, I will always have my 15 minutes of fame.

Meanwhile, I run OS/2 Warp Server for E-Business on my desktop, inside of
as pure a Unix operation as possible...

anandja...@gmail.com

May 31, 2020, 3:47:42 PM5/31/20
They are already doing that with India in laddakh. ;)

Shadow

Jun 1, 2020, 1:22:59 PM6/1/20
On Sun, 31 May 2020 12:47:41 -0700 (PDT), anandja...@gmail.com
wrote:

>They are already doing that with India in laddakh. ;)

What does Laddakh export?
Tourists?
LOL
[]'s