DirectCD on a different computer won't recognize CD

S.V. Proff

Mar 2, 2003, 2:10:04 PM3/2/03
Hello:

I have Direct CD both at home and work. The other day I brought home
an "open" CD from work.

I discovered that my CDR at home won't recognize the CD automatically.
I had to go through a lengthy "ScanDisc" program.

I have a Plextor at home. I have a Dell Computer at work, I'm not sure
what type of a CDR it has. It probably is not a Plextor.

Is what I am experiencing normal? Is there anything I can do that
would enable me to carry an "open" CD back and forth?

Thanks for your comments!

Sam
(My e-mail address is spam proofed, please post your replies here,
e-mails to me will bounce.)

Mike Richter

Mar 2, 2003, 3:06:24 PM3/2/03
S.V. Proff wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I have Direct CD both at home and work. The other day I brought home
> an "open" CD from work.
>
> I discovered that my CDR at home won't recognize the CD automatically.
> I had to go through a lengthy "ScanDisc" program.
>
> I have a Plextor at home. I have a Dell Computer at work, I'm not sure
> what type of a CDR it has. It probably is not a Plextor.
>
> Is what I am experiencing normal? Is there anything I can do that
> would enable me to carry an "open" CD back and forth?

It's difficult to say much with so little information. Of course, I
assume you are writing variable-length packets since a fixed-length disc
is closed to the extent possible when formatted.

If the two DCD versions are quite different, that may be enough. Of
course, with an open session the disc can be read only in a writer, but
I assume that you knew that and did not try to use a CD-ROM drive.

Perhaps your best bet is to bypass the problem, closing the session to
UDF 1.5 (or the more wasteful ISO 9660 Level 3) before running the disc
on the other computer. That should not be necessary, but it's probably
easier and cheaper than tracking down the issue.

Mike
--
mric...@cpl.net
http://www.mrichter.com/

Amber

Mar 2, 2003, 4:02:13 PM3/2/03
I have a Sony at work and a Plextor at home, and all my packet written CDs
work fine on both. Using TDK and Memorex blanks; remember, if using WinXP,
be sure you have upgraded EZ CD Creator.

"S.V. Proff" <ffi...@onebox.com> wrote in message

smh

Mar 2, 2003, 5:15:00 PM3/2/03
. --------------------------------------
Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

Mike Richter (King Troll) wrote:

> S.V. Proff wrote:
> > I have Direct CD both at home and work. The other day I brought home
> > an "open" CD from work.
> >
> > I discovered that my CDR at home won't recognize the CD automatically.
> > I had to go through a lengthy "ScanDisc" program.

> ... Of

> course, with an open session the disc can be read only in a writer, but
> I assume that you knew that and did not try to use a CD-ROM drive.

Do you suppose the OP was running ScanDisc on a CD-ROM drive, Mikey?

smh

Mar 2, 2003, 5:16:57 PM3/2/03
. --------------------------------------
Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

Mike Richter (King Troll) wrote:

> S.V. Proff wrote:
> >

> > I have Direct CD both at home and work. The other day I brought home
> > an "open" CD from work.
> >
> > I discovered that my CDR at home won't recognize the CD automatically.
> > I had to go through a lengthy "ScanDisc" program.

> If the two DCD versions are quite different, that may be enough.

Why is that, Mikey -- when DirectCD is supposedly conform to the UDF
1.50?

Are there incompatibility issues even between DirectCD versions
--despite supposedly conforming to the same UDF 1.50 standard?

Is the variable-length packet fragile, flaky and unreliable, Mikey?

Do you think the OP's problem might have something to do with this,
Mikey?

Windows 2000 Cannot Read CD-R Discs Created with DirectCD

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q268094
(Link by Robert King)

SYMPTOMS
Windows 2000 cannot read packet-written CD-R discs with metadata packets
that are recorded at non-page-aligned addresses. This can prevent
Windows 2000 from reading CD-R discs that are created by using Adaptec
DirectCD.

CAUSE
Metadata packets are recorded at non-page-aligned addresses. The
Universal Disk Format file system (UDFS) expects all data (even
metadata) to be aligned at page boundaries.

Note 1: The above may be the reason why Winxp's native udf reader can't
read DirectCD formatted cd.

Note 2: Winxp's native udf reader reads InCD, DLA and InstantWrite
formatted cd.

Note 3: The above may be one of the reasons why cRoxio fired
the ENTIRE DirectCD development team last year.

smh

Mar 2, 2003, 5:59:30 PM3/2/03
. --------------------------------------
Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

Mike Richter (King Troll) wrote:

> S.V. Proff wrote:
> >

> > I have Direct CD both at home and work. The other day I brought home
> > an "open" CD from work.
> >
> > I discovered that my CDR at home won't recognize the CD automatically.
> > I had to go through a lengthy "ScanDisc" program.

> It's difficult to say much with so little information. Of course, I

> assume you are writing variable-length packets since a fixed-length disc
> is closed to the extent possible when formatted.

So, what do you think, Mikey, does the OP use cd-r or cd-rw?

> If the two DCD versions are quite different, that may be enough.

Why is that, Mikey?
And what if the two DirectCD versions are the same?

> Of
> course, with an open session the disc can be read only in a writer, but
> I assume that you knew that and did not try to use a CD-ROM drive.

Could the OP run ScanDisc on a cd-rom drive, Mikey?

> Perhaps your best bet is to bypass the problem,

The question is why the problem in the first place.

> closing the session to
> UDF 1.5 (or the more wasteful ISO 9660 Level 3) before running the disc
> on the other computer. That should not be necessary, but it's probably
> easier and cheaper than tracking down the issue.

Have you heard of this, Mikey?

=====================
From: Mike Richter (cRoxio Shill)
Subject: Re: ECDC 5 DirectCD CD-R to Win2000
Date: 12/19/01

Doug Gordon wrote:

> On my WinME PC with ECDC 4, I used to be able to format a CD-R with
> DirectCD, copy files to it, then close it with the "read on any PC" option.
> I could then take the disc into work and read it on my Win2000 PC with a
> standard CD-ROM drive. I could also take it back home and reopen, copy more
> files, etc. This was pretty cool.
>
> Now I have upgraded to ECDC 5 Platinum and this doesn't work any more. If I
> follow the same steps to create and close the CD-R, when I load it on my
> Win2000 PC and access it in Explorer, I get the message "Disc in drive E: is
> not formatted". Any ideas what is going wrong here?
>
> Note that I can use ECDC 5 to burn a standard data CD-R disc and it reads OK
> on Win2000. However, that's a one-shot usage of the disc and I'd like to be
> able to use DirectCD's features.

1. What version do you have installed? 5.02b (or 5.02c, equivalent
except for recognized drives) is the best behaved.

2. There's a significant difference for your usage between DCD 3.x and
5.x which you may not have noticed. When you close a session to ISO 9660
Level 3 but do not close the disc, it opens the next session for you so
you do not have to format again. If you are not seeing the open DCD
session, then you may have closed the disc inadvertently.

=====================

smh

Mar 3, 2003, 1:01:33 AM3/3/03
. --------------------------------------
Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

Mike Richter (King Troll) wrote:

> S.V. Proff wrote:
> >

> > I have Direct CD both at home and work. The other day I brought home
> > an "open" CD from work.
> >
> > I discovered that my CDR at home won't recognize the CD automatically.
> > I had to go through a lengthy "ScanDisc" program.

> If the two DCD versions are quite different, that may be enough.

No kidding! DirectCD's are NOT compatible even to themselves!

---------------------
cRoxio - What a Joke!
---------------------

Reinhard Schimek

Mar 3, 2003, 5:45:26 PM3/3/03

SV,

I have the exact same problem with the Dells at work too. Even
though I don't use the packet writting software of ECDC, I have still
have the problem of my cd-burners at home taking a long time to
recognize the cds that I burn at work. I think it is specific to the
dells somehow.
If I was to burn cds on my home burners, the cds are recognize
without a problem......
Sorry that i can not offer any solutions, but you are not alone.

hope it helps,
Reinhard

Tim Kroesen

Mar 3, 2003, 7:50:32 PM3/3/03
Usenet Abuse - Stalking, Harassment, SPAM, Posting false addy to evade
complaints.

This user has been removed from multiple ISP's and Usenet portals for
this continuing abuse.

Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2003 23:01:33 -0700
From: smh <smh...@mindspring.com>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Subject: Re: DirectCD on a different computer won't recognize CD

"smh" <smh...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

S.V. Proff

Mar 5, 2003, 12:27:54 AM3/5/03
Thanks for all the responses.

I have version 5.20 at work and 5.01 at home of the Roxio project
manager. I guess they must not be compatible...

Sam

(My e-mail address is spam proofed, please post your replies here,
e-mails to me will bounce.)

smh

Mar 5, 2003, 3:01:19 AM3/5/03
"S.V. Proff" wrote:

> Thanks for all the responses.
>
> I have version 5.20 at work and 5.01 at home of the Roxio project
> manager. I guess they must not be compatible...

5.20 and 5.01 ???!!!

Guess that's what Mikey Richter meant by "if two DCD versions are quite
different".

That's some "quite different" for sure!

[ This may be one of the reasons why cRoxio fired the ENTIRE DirectCD
team in '01. ]

> (S.V. Proff) wrote...

Dave Phillips

Mar 9, 2003, 5:49:09 PM3/9/03
smh <smh...@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:<3E65AECF...@mindspring.com>...

Hi All,
I support a couple hundred people with their LAN & IT needs and I've
never seen anything like the unbridled carnage of ECDC 5. Roxio
should be sued into penny stock oblivion. I've had to rebuild at
least 3 dozen machines due to constant lockups or inability to boot
and it wasn't the damn "Take Two" they blamed it on. The OS I deal
with most is Win2K and I believe the problem started around the
release of SP3.

As for the DirectCD problems, wish I had an answer for you. I've
become dependent on CDRW's and am giving up on Roxio. They've let
these problems go on for far too long with barely an acknowledgement
of a problem. My 12x10x32 and 16x10x40 Plextors have screwed up
countless times in the last months (murphey style) and I'm missing
several pounds of flesh from my back 40. It's not all a brand thing
'cos I've seen problems on many different boxes. I wouldn't touch or
recommend V6 for love or money.

That said, I'm looking for a substitute. I've had many problems with
Nero on WinXP and won't go that route. Is there something rock solid
out there???

Good Luck,
Dave

Tim Kroesen

Mar 9, 2003, 5:59:54 PM3/9/03
You let workers install their own s/w on your network...you GOT what you
asked for, Mr. "Expert'... Job security... <g>

When will you be haunting Nero threads BTW...?

Tim K

"Dave Phillips" <dwphi...@erols.com> wrote in message

smh

Mar 9, 2003, 8:26:44 PM3/9/03
Dave Phillips wrote:
> smh wrote...

> > > I have version 5.20 at work and 5.01 at home of the Roxio project
> > > manager. I guess they must not be compatible...
> >
> > 5.20 and 5.01 ???!!!
> > Guess that's what Mikey Richter meant by "if two DCD versions are quite
> > different". That's some "quite different" for sure!

> Hi All,

> I support a couple hundred people with their LAN & IT needs and I've
> never seen anything like the unbridled carnage of ECDC 5. Roxio
> should be sued into penny stock oblivion. I've had to rebuild at
> least 3 dozen machines due to constant lockups or inability to boot
> and it wasn't the damn "Take Two" they blamed it on. The OS I deal
> with most is Win2K and I believe the problem started around the
> release of SP3.
>
> As for the DirectCD problems, wish I had an answer for you. I've
> become dependent on CDRW's and am giving up on Roxio. They've let
> these problems go on for far too long with barely an acknowledgement
> of a problem. My 12x10x32 and 16x10x40 Plextors have screwed up
> countless times in the last months (murphey style) and I'm missing
> several pounds of flesh from my back 40. It's not all a brand thing
> 'cos I've seen problems on many different boxes. I wouldn't touch or
> recommend V6 for love or money.
>
> That said, I'm looking for a substitute. I've had many problems with
> Nero on WinXP and won't go that route. Is there something rock solid
> out there???

Check out DLA (in RecordNow MAX):
http://www.stompinc.com/recordnowmax/rnmx-retail.phtml?stp

There is VOB InstantWrite that used to be bundled with InstantCD/DVD.
Pinnacle purchased Steinberg-VOB this year, and the Pinnacle site's info
on InstantCD/DVD does not mention it at all, however. More info might
be forthcoming as InstantCD/DVD is supposed to be released this month.

Amazing Packet Writing Softwares - DLA & InstantWrite

===============================
From: smh
Subject: Re: Direct CD (v3.01d) doesn't see 2nd CDRW
Date: 9/12/02

Mike Richter (cRoxio Shill) wrote:

> jetstar88 wrote:
> >
> > Recently added a Philips 3210 CDRW to PC with HP 9100i CDRW, and
> > Direct CD refuses to see the 2nd CDRW. I see nothing in the help
> > screens and everything is visible and operational in Windows AND in
> > Nero (v5). But DCD sees only one CDRW and therefore won't allow packet
> > writing to the 2nd one.
> >

> Assuming that "3210" is CDRW3210s, it would be a complete waste of time.
> The drive does not support packet writing and the software can't make
> the hardware do what the hardware isn't designed to do.

Both Stomp's DLA (RecordNow MAX) and VOB's InstantWrite (InstantCD/DVD)
do packet writing with the drive. What amazing softwares, enabling
packet writing even for a drive not designed for it !!!

------------------------------
cRoxio, Eat Your Heart Out !!!
------------------------------

===============================

smh

Mar 10, 2003, 3:01:14 PM3/10/03
Dave Phillips wrote:

> Hi All,
> I support a couple hundred people with their LAN & IT needs and I've
> never seen anything like the unbridled carnage of ECDC 5. Roxio
> should be sued into penny stock oblivion. I've had to rebuild at
> least 3 dozen machines due to constant lockups or inability to boot
> and it wasn't the damn "Take Two" they blamed it on. The OS I deal
> with most is Win2K and I believe the problem started around the
> release of SP3.

It started with SP2. Didn't you get a warning about removing the fresh
monkey wrench?

=====================================
Mike Richter & Monkey Wrench Business
=====================================

=====================
From: Mike Richter (King Troll)
Subject: Re: Easy CD Creator 5 vs Win 2000 = HELP!
Date: 7/8/01

A post from Adrian indicated that SP2 threw in a fresh monkey wrench.

I do not believe that Roxio has a release of ECDC for Win2K SP2 at this
point. Your choice: SP1 with ECDC or SP2 without.
======================

BTW, Nero, among other burn softwares, works on Win2k/SP2 -- without
removing the monkey wrench.

( Note: cRoxshit must not consider Win2k/SP2 as Win2k
as it claims Win2k compatible. )

======================
From: "Adrian Miller (cRoxio)"
Date: 7/9/01

Mike is correct at this time, SP2 broke a load more stuff.
We are working on it.

====================
From: SandMan
Date: 7/9/01

Isn't it funny how your software *always* gets broke by MS, or
something someone else did? When are you guys and girls ever going
to learn? Sooooooooo many other CDR packages install, uninstall
WITHOUT screwing up ones system, and RUN just fine on win9x, win2k,
win2ksp1, win2ksp2. No wonder you've put your head in the sand, its the
best you can do.

I'm Adapcrap/Roxio free, don't have time to debug the betas you sell
time after time, that never work as advertised, tech support sucks,
and the only thing they really care about is getting the product out
ther door, so they can take our money. Tons of bugs never fixed, and
with each 'release' we get to have 'fun' finding the same old ones
back again, plus for a spin, some news ones.

You guys need to take this to your own newsgroup, and drop out of the
general CDR group. No wonder you have a subscription news-mailer, so
its not totally in the public eye, and you can filter all you like.

Start a new group like; comp.publish.cdrsoftware.roxio

OK I'll let you go back and "work" on some more stuff that just got
broke, have fun, Later!
====================

smh

Mar 10, 2003, 3:43:32 PM3/10/03
Dave Phillips wrote:

> Hi All,
> I support a couple hundred people with their LAN & IT needs and I've
> never seen anything like the unbridled carnage of ECDC 5. Roxio
> should be sued into penny stock oblivion. I've had to rebuild at
> least 3 dozen machines due to constant lockups or inability to boot
> and it wasn't the damn "Take Two" they blamed it on. The OS I deal
> with most is Win2K and I believe the problem started around the
> release of SP3.

It started from day one.

--------------------------------------
Roxio is the Firestone of CDR software
--------------------------------------

======================
From: Joe Pyles
Subject: Re: PC World.com: CD Creator 5 Platinum Tangles With Windows
Date: 5/8/01 2000

"John Smith" wrote:

> "Meg" wrote...
>>
>> The point is Roxio did not say it until NOW!!! Patel & Roxio are
>> Idiots. If a car had defects, you wait till it kills someone first I
>> guess... as it may mean lost sales if they were honest?
>
> Replace 'a car' with 'tires' and say 'Firestone'.

Wow! Roxio is the Firestone of CDR software. I like it.
======================

Stop! Don't install Easy CD Creator 5 til you read this story

Easy CD Creator saga continues

Roxio replies over Easy CD Creator problems

Easy CD Creator problems just won't go away

Microsoft posts warning over Easy CD Creator

More woe over Easy CD Creator

CD Creator 5 Platinum Tangles With Windows 2000

smh

Mar 10, 2003, 7:00:12 PM3/10/03
Dave Phillips wrote:

> I support a couple hundred people with their LAN & IT needs and I've
> never seen anything like the unbridled carnage of ECDC 5.
>
> Roxio should be sued into penny stock oblivion.
>
> I've had to rebuild at least 3 dozen machines due to constant
> lockups or inability to boot and
>
> it wasn't the damn "Take Two" they blamed it on.

cRoxio Knew Take Two 1.03 (PRTSEQRD.SYS) Prob since July, 2000

====================
From: smh
Subject: cRoxio Knew Take Two 1.03 (PRTSEQRD.SYS) Prob since July, 2000
Date: 5/25/01

Deirdre' Straughan (cRoxio) wrote:

> It would be helpful if the people quoted in The Register articles - any
> anyone else with win2k problems NOT solved by the 5.01s patch - would
> get in touch with us directly. We are following up very closely on all
> such cases reported to us, but we can't do much for the people who only
> write to The Register, since the journalist will presumably not give us
> their contact info.

cRoxio knew about the Take Two 1.03 (PRTSEQRD.SYS) prob since July, 2000
-- from a user, the unwitting guinea pig.

Cut out the Bull Shit about not knowing the problem before the release.
And cut out the charade as if cRoxio cares about users.

===============
From: "Tom"
Subject: Warning about Adaptec TakeTwo - very slimy software!
Date: 7/14/00

Sometimes I'm amazed at the stuff that software companies do to their
customers. Here's a good example - Take Two.

I've been trying for a while to figure out why my Windows 2000 computer
won't go into standby mode. It gives me a message about the driver
for 'generic volume' preventing it from entering standby.

The solution (after much pain) was uninstalling TakeTwo.

It turns out that:

- TakeTwo is permanently running a driver on your system - not just when
you are running the application. The only way (for a typical user) to
stop it is to uninstall the software.

- They don't just not mention this, they make it almost impossible to
figure out. I've written device drivers for windows (NDIS) and I had a
hard time figuring it out!

- To have missed this, they must have done < practically no testing >
(I'm using v1.03, which is specifically for Windows 2000).

Or they found the bug and didn't care?

===============
From: "Tom"
Date: 7/14/00

"Adrian Miller" (Acraptec)...

> I think the real issues was actually DirectCD. There currently is an issue
> with hibernation on Windows 2000 but this will be resolved shortly.

Wrong. I'm not using DirectCD.

Look for PRTSEQRD.SYS in the drivers folder, and check its version
info - its for TakeTwo.

(Mind you, that's the only place that info is listed - this driver is
registered without any of the usual ID info.)

===============

====================

smh

Mar 10, 2003, 7:01:28 PM3/10/03
Dave Phillips wrote:

> I support a couple hundred people with their LAN & IT needs and I've
> never seen anything like the unbridled carnage of ECDC 5.
>
> Roxio should be sued into penny stock oblivion.
>
> I've had to rebuild at least 3 dozen machines due to constant
> lockups or inability to boot and
>
> it wasn't the damn "Take Two" they blamed it on.

Easy CD CreMator 5 Released w/ Critical Bugs

=====================
From: Mike Richter (cRoxio Shill)

Subject: Re: hybris
Date: 5/15/01

... My own recommendation was to withhold release
until all critical bugs were exterminated ...

===========================
From: Deirdre' Straughan (cRoxio)
Subject: Re: Adrian Miller - help - Thanks for being RUDE!!!!
Date: 5/30/01

... We try to avoid releasing software with critical bugs ...
- those which can damage systems and/or data.

... But it did not turn up in lab or beta testing ...

===========================

smh

Mar 10, 2003, 7:02:39 PM3/10/03
Dave Phillips wrote:

> I support a couple hundred people with their LAN & IT needs and I've
> never seen anything like the unbridled carnage of ECDC 5.
>
> Roxio should be sued into penny stock oblivion.
>
> I've had to rebuild at least 3 dozen machines due to constant
> lockups or inability to boot and
>
> it wasn't the damn "Take Two" they blamed it on.

Apologize for Mike Richter's Lying? (critical bugs)

=====================
From: Mike Richter (cRoxio Shill)

Subject: Re: DirectCD and VCD questions
Date: 3/18/01

> ... Remember that EZ-CD has been out for short time and very few
> people have it, and we already heard more than enough problem reports.
> enough problem reports.

You have heard three sorts of problem reports:

1) Installation troubles
2) Specific inconveniences and stupidities on a relatively minor level
3) Speculative and uninformed general complaints, notably from one troll
who acknowledges that it has never run ECDC.

=====================
From: Mike Richter (cRoxio Shill)
Date: 5/15/01

... My own recommendation was to withhold release
until all critical bugs were exterminated ...
===========================

The troll must have played tricks to turn "critical" bugs into
"speculative complaints", then back to "critical" bugs!

smh

Mar 10, 2003, 7:03:04 PM3/10/03
Dave Phillips wrote:

> I support a couple hundred people with their LAN & IT needs and I've
> never seen anything like the unbridled carnage of ECDC 5.
>
> Roxio should be sued into penny stock oblivion.
>
> I've had to rebuild at least 3 dozen machines due to constant
> lockups or inability to boot and
>
> it wasn't the damn "Take Two" they blamed it on.

Agree with you 100% that cRoxio should be sued into penny stock
oblivion.

You see cRoxio knew about the Take Two problem since at least July,
2000:

"cRoxio Knew Take Two 1.03 (PRTSEQRD.SYS) Prob since July, 2000"

And cRoxio spewed unadulterated, unmitigated, white lies -- fraud IMO:

"Easy CD CreMator 5 Released w/ Critical Bugs"

smh

Mar 10, 2003, 7:00:55 PM3/10/03
> Dave Phillips wrote:
> >
> > I support a couple hundred people with their LAN & IT needs and I've
> > never seen anything like the unbridled carnage of ECDC 5.
> >
> > Roxio should be sued into penny stock oblivion.
> >
> > I've had to rebuild at least 3 dozen machines due to constant
> > lockups or inability to boot and
> >
> > it wasn't the damn "Take Two" they blamed it on.

PRTSEQRD.SYS is the file that took down Win 2K system.

TommyDale

Mar 10, 2003, 10:27:14 PM3/10/03
I stopped using packet writing software over a year ago. I don't need
the added aggrevation and frustration. I would rather copy/backup to
CDR and forget about using Direct CD, InCD or anything else. The
software people should be sued into oblivion.

jreg...@gmail.com

Jan 21, 2016, 3:48:11 PM1/21/16