MS paint PNG transparent background ?

R.Wieser

Nov 17, 2023, 4:51:19 AM11/17/23
Hello all,

I just tried to draw a border with an transparent inside (and save it to
PNG), but for some reason I cannot get it to work. :-| And yes, I did try
to untick the "Draw Opaque" setting, and I did google for it first. :-)

How am I supposed to do it (assuming its possible) ?

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Shadow

Nov 17, 2023, 7:10:39 AM11/17/23
On Fri, 17 Nov 2023 10:50:56 +0100, "R.Wieser" <add...@is.invalid>
wrote:
Not sure what you are trying to achieve( a transparent
inside), but both Irfanview and Faststone Image Viewer are freeware,
PORTABLE and have far more options than M$ Paint.

<https://www.irfanview.com/>
<https://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm>

And both run on XP...
HTH
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012

R.Wieser

Nov 17, 2023, 7:34:49 AM11/17/23
Shadow,

> Not sure what you are trying to achieve(a transparent
> inside)

Imagine a fully transparent image, with a visible border (four lines) on the
outside. The important thing is how to create the transparent image /
turn selected parts of it transparent.

> but both [other products] ....

I already found multiple google results suggesting the same. I really would
want to know how to do it with MS paint though.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Ralph Fox

Nov 17, 2023, 12:22:22 PM11/17/23
I would use Paint.NET for that. To run on XP you would need Paint.NET
version 3.5.11 or earlier.

To make a transparent inside in Paint.NET, select the inside and use
Edit >> Cut.

--
Kind regards
Ralph Fox

R.Wieser

Nov 17, 2023, 12:39:28 PM11/17/23
Ralph,

> I would use Paint.NET for that.

Thanks, but I would like to know how to do it with MS paint (if possible
that is).

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Ralph Fox

Nov 17, 2023, 1:20:54 PM11/17/23
On Fri, 17 Nov 2023 18:39:07 +0100, R.Wieser wrote:

> Ralph,
>
> > I would use Paint.NET for that.
>
> Thanks, but I would like to know how to do it with MS paint (if possible
> that is).

<https://www.pcworld.com/article/2073625/whoa-microsoft-paint-now-supports-transparency-and-layers.html>
My guess is this will not be coming to XP.

--
Kind regards
Ralph Fox

Æghwæt forealdað þæs þe ece ne byð.

R.Wieser

Nov 17, 2023, 3:03:27 PM11/17/23
Ralph,

> My guess is this will not be coming to XP.

:-) Nope, not /way/ after XP has been deemed to be obsolete.

I was hoping that someone knew 1) if paint supports it (I'm starting to
doubt it) and 2) how to do it.

Clearing the "Draw Opaque" setting (and than drawing/painting the whole
image with the for or background color) certainly doesn't. :-|

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Kerr-Mudd, John

Nov 17, 2023, 3:18:54 PM11/17/23
I think you've been misled -

Here's some text from XP's MSPAINT Help:

To specify opaque or transparent drawing
To draw an opaque image, on the Image menu, click Draw Opaque and make
sure a check mark appears next to it. Selecting Opaque specifies that the
existing picture will be covered by the white background of a selected
area in Paint.

For example, in the image at the left, notice that the small dotted box
includes a white background around the green box. Also notice that the
white background covers the larger image behind it. To draw a transparent
image, on the Image menu, click Draw Opaque and make sure the check mark
does not appear next to it. Turning off Opaque specifies that the
underlying pictures will be visible through the background of a selected
area in Paint.

For example, in the image at the left, notice that the small dotted box
is clear and the green box displays inside it. Also notice that the
content of the image behind it is visible right up to the green box.
Related Topics

I think it just means what happens when you overlay an image.

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

R.Wieser

Nov 18, 2023, 3:01:45 AM11/18/23
John,

> I think you've been misled -
>
> Here's some text from XP's MSPAINT Help:
[snip]
> I think it just means what happens when you overlay an image.

Yes, that (overlaying an image on an already existing one) is what I
understood what that was all about. Especially when I failed to get a
transparent image when I tried different approaches to gain it.

I think the problem is that I blithely assumed that as PNG, JPG and GIF
(selectable eoutput formats) have transparency I would be able to apply it.
I guess I was wrong. :-|

Oh well, something learned. No see if I can keep rememerbering it. :-)

Regards,
Rudy Wieser