what are the email programs that are still compatible with XP and support encrypted connections ?

R.Wieser

May 3, 2023, 4:49:31β€―AM5/3/23
Hello all,

My internet provider just send me a email that they are going to pull a
google, and will switch off unencrypted connections to their mail servers at
the end of this month.

My current email program is Outlook Express 6 which uses a POP3 connection
and have it set to plain-text only. Although the "outlook express 6" part
likely needs to change (it doen't support nowerdays SSL) I would like to
keep the other two (POP3, plain text).

Does anyone have any suggestions ? Reminder : it needs to run under XP.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Kerr-Mudd, John

May 3, 2023, 5:35:59β€―AM5/3/23
On Wed, 3 May 2023 10:47:17 +0200
"R.Wieser" <add...@is.invalid> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> My internet provider just send me a email that they are going to pull a
> google, and will switch off unencrypted connections to their mail servers at
> the end of this month.
>
> My current email program is Outlook Express 6 which uses a POP3 connection
Wow!
> and have it set to plain-text only. Although the "outlook express 6" part
> likely needs to change (it doen't support nowerdays SSL) I would like to
> keep the other two (POP3, plain text).
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions ? Reminder : it needs to run under XP.

Not really, I get my mail from Hotmail (still! - the url redirects to MS's
"Outlook" web page), but that's very slow to load these days. (I signed up
for it when it just used HTML!)

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

R.Wieser

May 3, 2023, 6:17:51β€―AM5/3/23
John,

>> My current email program is Outlook Express 6 which uses a
>> POP3 connection
> Wow!

:-) Like my ancient hammer and a number other tools it does everything I
need from it, and therefore do not have any reason to replace it with
something that does exactly the same, but just with more bells-and-wistles
attached to it (which I likely will never use ...).

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

JJ

May 3, 2023, 7:26:17β€―AM5/3/23
Have you tried OE Classic? It's an incredible clone of Outlook Express.
Since it also supports Google's OAuth2, it should mean that it can access
newer SSL chipers, since Google servers already using newer chipers at the
time they forced the privacy leaking OAuth2 to users.

https://www.oeclassic.com/

As an alternative, you can use the older Thunderbird 52.9.1. It's the last
version which still run on XP+Vista. Newer versions no longer support them
(sic).

Like Firefox, the aplications don't use Windows' Cryptography library (which
in XP, doesn't support newer SSL chipers), since Mozilla applications are
cross platform.

R.Wieser

May 3, 2023, 11:18:57β€―AM5/3/23
JJ,

> Have you tried OE Classic?

I did take a look at it a few years ago. Wasn't too hapy with it adding a
text ad in its outgoing email.

> As an alternative, you can use the older Thunderbird 52.9.1.

This morning I visited the thunderbird download website, but as it didn't
bother to mention which OS version(s) it supported and did not seem to have
a "old versions" page I got nowhere there. Thanks for the specific version
number, thats something I can "google" for.

update: Found and downloaded it
(https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/releases/)

> Like Firefox, the aplications don't use Windows' Cryptography library
> (which in XP, doesn't support newer SSL chipers),

:-) I know.

I also tried to find SSL updates for OE 6, but got nowhere there. :-\

In the mean time I found "Pegasus mail" v4.8.0 , and will probably take a
peek at that one too.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Kerr-Mudd, John

May 3, 2023, 12:20:57β€―PM5/3/23
Oh, I forgot, I'm using Sylpheed to access Usenet; it also (mostly) does
mail, but I've not set that part up.

https://sylpheed.sraoss.jp/en/

VanguardLH

May 3, 2023, 12:21:40β€―PM5/3/23
Continue to use whatever you are using, but add SSL/TLS to it via a
local proxy, like sTunnel.

You configure your e-mail client to connect to the sTunnel local proxy.
You configure sTunnel with the server settings you were using before in
your e-mail client.

email client -> sTunnel -> server

https://www.stunnel.org/
https://www.stunnel.org/platforms.html

According to the last doc, sTunnel runs on Windows XP.

sTunnel runs continuosly in the background; i.e., it is a resident
process that loads on your Windows login. I used it long ago when
whatever I was using back then didn't support the TLS needed to wherever
I was connecting. Haven't needed it in many years, though, after moving
to an e-mail client that does have TLS support. Currently I'm using:

eM Client (free up to 2 accounts, paid for more account connects)

I'm using it on Windows 10, and Windows 7 before that. The current
version runs on Windows 7, and above, but their FAQ notes:

Windows 7 or higher (for XP compatible versions contact our support -
although it is no longer a supported system, so we do not recommend
its use).

You are used to using Outlook Express. There is OE Classic (not from
Microsoft) that should be familiar to you, and it supports Windows XP.
There is a free version (OE Classic) and paid version (OE Classic Pro).
They don't operate peer forums for community help, and I've not used
that program to know how responsive and helpful are their tech support.
I suspect you only get tech support if you pay. They offer a money-back
promise for 60 days on the Pro version. You can start with the free
version. If you hit too many features you want available only in the
Pro version, decide then if you want to pay, or stay crippled. The free
version might be all you need.

NOTE: I see you discussed OE Classic in another subthread, and noted
it watermarks your outbound e-mails. I doubt the paid version of OE
Classic Pro does that.

Hexamail Flow advertises itself as the "e-mail cliet for XP". Free for
personal use, $19 for business use.

https://www.hexamail.com/product/hexamailflow/

Their features page notes "Outlook Express Import". Since you are using
POP, your e-mails are stored locally instead of up on the server (as
with IMAP) unless you configured OE to *not* delete after retrieve
(don't remember if that's an option in OE). Normal POP issues a RETR
followed by a DELE.

As you noted in the other subthread, you could try using an ancient
version of Thunderbird hoping it supports TLS connects. Firefox 52 ESR
was the last version that supported Windows XP, and Tbird is a fork of
Firefox.

EmailTray says it supports Windows XP. Never tested that program. You
would have to find out from them if they support TLS connections to mail
servers, and if they support OAUTH2 (for Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo). You
might online reviews by searching on "emailtray review".

https://www.emailtray.com/

R.Wieser

May 3, 2023, 1:30:53β€―PM5/3/23
John,

> Oh, I forgot, I'm using Sylpheed to access Usenet; it also (mostly)
> does mail, but I've not set that part up.
>
> https://sylpheed.sraoss.jp/en/

I found that webpage too, but it mentions Win7 at its lower "wil work with"
end, and no obvious way to access a page with earlier versions.

Whoops, I just noticed the "All previous versions" link (under the what
looks like the linux versions), and from there there got to the
https://sylpheed.sraoss.jp/sylpheed/win32/ page. Alas, no mentioning of
Windows version support there. :-|

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Bob F

May 3, 2023, 1:42:55β€―PM5/3/23
And then they invented screws.

Kerr-Mudd, John

May 3, 2023, 2:31:20β€―PM5/3/23
But it certainly runs under XP!
and indeed mentions support for SSL. I can only suggest you give it a go.
No warranty etc..

R.Wieser

May 4, 2023, 2:14:41β€―AM5/4/23
Bob,

> And then they invented screws.

Screwdrivers. Another one of those ancient tools I have that still do their
job as expected and therefore have never felt a reason to replace them.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

R.Wieser

May 4, 2023, 2:14:41β€―AM5/4/23
John,

> But it certainly runs under XP!

Which version are you running on your XP machine ?

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

JJ

May 4, 2023, 4:43:20β€―AM5/4/23
v3.7 works on XP.

Kerr-Mudd, John

May 4, 2023, 4:58:06β€―AM5/4/23
On Thu, 4 May 2023 07:56:43 +0200
"R.Wieser" <add...@is.invalid> wrote:

> John,
>
> > But it certainly runs under XP!
>
> Which version are you running on your XP machine ?

Version 3.7.0 (Build 1185)

Does the latest version not work? I won't upgrade then.

R.Wieser

May 4, 2023, 6:46:59β€―AM5/4/23
John,

> Version 3.7.0 (Build 1185)
>
> Does the latest version not work? I won't upgrade then.

That 3.7.0 seems to be the latest one. But both the download page as well
as the "readme" in the downloaded .zip file mention 7, 8 and 10. I'm not
sure what to make of it, the difference between that and your mentioning
that it works for you on XP doesn't sit well for me.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

R.Wieser

May 4, 2023, 6:46:59β€―AM5/4/23
JJ,

> v3.7 works on XP.

Odd. Thats the latest version, and the download page specifically mentions
"for Windows 7 / 8 / 10".

But alright, I'm downloading it. Thanks.

Hmmm... The "readme" in the download also only mentions 7, 8 and 10. No
XP.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Jack

May 4, 2023, 10:06:55β€―PM5/4/23

JJ

May 4, 2023, 10:26:50β€―PM5/4/23
On Thu, 4 May 2023 12:38:41 +0200, R.Wieser wrote:

> Odd. Thats the latest version, and the download page specifically mentions
> "for Windows 7 / 8 / 10".
>
> But alright, I'm downloading it. Thanks.
>
> Hmmm... The "readme" in the download also only mentions 7, 8 and 10. No
> XP.

Some developers, especially for a cross platform one, don't know well about
what Windows API functions are available in each Windows version. Because
they don't need to.

Here's a screenshot of it in an XP SP3 VM.

https://i.imgur.com/BrrF2nY.png

R.Wieser

May 5, 2023, 2:16:16β€―AM5/5/23
Jack,

> Pegasus Mail?

Thanks. Will take a look at it.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

R.Wieser

May 5, 2023, 2:16:47β€―AM5/5/23
JJ,

> Here's a screenshot of it in an XP SP3 VM.
>
> [snip image link]

Hey ! Thats the same dialog as what I'm looking at here ! :-)

IOW, with two people telling me it does actually run on XP I thought I could
take a chance on it. :-)

Though I must say that setting up an account isn't all that intuitive :
after having gone thru the (minimal) account-wizzards questions some more
settings needed to be applied elsewhere.

And alas, no "text only" mode avalable : email is, for some reason or
another, supposed to be HTML. Same thing with OEClassic though., :-\

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Ken Blake

May 5, 2023, 10:19:14β€―AM5/5/23
On Fri, 5 May 2023 03:00:00 +0100, Jack <inv...@invalid.net> wrote:

>On 03/05/2023 09:47, R.Wieser wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> My internet provider just send me a email that they are going to pull a
>> google, and will switch off unencrypted connections to their mail servers at
>> the end of this month.
>>
>> My current email program is Outlook Express 6 which uses a POP3 connection
>> and have it set to plain-text only. Although the "outlook express 6" part
>> likely needs to change (it doen't support nowerdays SSL) I would like to
>> keep the other two (POP3, plain text).
>>
>> Does anyone have any suggestions ? Reminder : it needs to run under XP.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Rudy Wieser
>>

>Pegasus Mail?

Many years ago, I used Pegasus Mail. I remember liking it, but I don't
remember why I switched away from it.

So your recommendation stimulated me to take another look at it.
However it apparently doesn't support IMAP, so that rules it out for
me. Am I right? Doesn't support IMAP?

sticks

May 5, 2023, 10:53:00β€―AM5/5/23

JJ

May 5, 2023, 12:33:44β€―PM5/5/23
On Fri, 5 May 2023 08:14:04 +0200, R.Wieser wrote:

> And alas, no "text only" mode avalable : email is, for some reason or
> another, supposed to be HTML. Same thing with OEClassic though., :-\

Not sure what you meant by "no text only mode", but Sylpheed is a text only
mail & news client. It doesn't support HTML at all.

Shadow

May 5, 2023, 1:29:06β€―PM5/5/23
And that's a security "feature", not a bug.
HTML can be a privacy issue(if it loads remote images etc
using you user-ID) or at worst, dangerous.
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012

R.Wieser

May 5, 2023, 3:22:41β€―PM5/5/23
JJ,

> Not sure what you meant by "no text only mode", but Sylpheed is a text
> only mail & news client.

I just dove into the "common preferences" to find some exact stuff to post.

It turns out you're right, and I got hoodwinked : I got a "welcome" message
which turned out to be an image. Hence my conclusion that I must be looking
at an HTML message.Trying to find HTML/text settings under the "compose" tab
I could not find any. Hence my conclusion HTML was all it seemed to
support.

But I was too quick in my conclusion : The "display" tab has got a few
settings how to handle an incoming message. One of the settings was to
display an attached image - which is most likely what that "welcome" message
was : an empty message with just an attached image.

IOW, I can only send text messages (fine by me :-) ) but I have a few
choices what to do with attachments and HTML messages (like turn them into
text).

Infuriatingly enough the "welkcome" message seems sto have self-deleted, so
I can't give you a sample of it.

> It doesn't support HTML at all.

As in the above, it does. But not while composing/sending.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

R.Wieser

May 5, 2023, 3:22:41β€―PM5/5/23
Shadow,

> HTML can be a privacy issue(if it loads remote images
> etc using you user-ID) or at worst, dangerous.

:-) The first thing I did after installing (with the ethernet cable
disconnected) was to drop a doctored ws2_32 DLL into the silpheed folder,
which blocks any connection other than to the email servers (pop and smtp).

Time will tell if I'm over-cautious there. :-)

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

R.Wieser

May 5, 2023, 3:40:38β€―PM5/5/23
JJ,

> As an alternative, you can use the older Thunderbird 52.9.1.

I just installed and started it. The very first thing it tried to do was
to connect to a handfull of mozilla servers. Strike one.

It doesn't seem to have any accessible configuration where I can gouvern
(stop!) such behaviour. Strike two.

Clicking the "skip this and use my existing email" button gave me a dialog
where I could input some of my email-account information - after which it
tried, again without any kind of asking, to connect to my email provider to
"autoconfigure" the rest. Strike three.

It could not do that (as I disconnected the ethernet cable before starting
the installing), so I entered my account information myself. Which it found
it had to test. And although I used the exact same (copy-pasted)
information in two other email clients it refused to accept the data.

And that was pretty-much all it said. No information on the why of it
and/or what I could do to fix it. Just a "can't complete" message. Strike
four and its out !

By the way : A quick google showed more people had the same "it rejects my
account data" problem, but no solution they could apply themselves it seems.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Eagleview Firearms

May 5, 2023, 5:42:10β€―PM5/5/23
On 05/05/2023 20:40, R.Wieser wrote:

> but no solution they could apply themselves it seems.

That may be the case but there is always a solution to all problems in
this world but these solutions may not appeal to everybody. I know the
answer to the question but I'll still ask you: Have you considered that
XP is no longer supported by anybody in this world? You are in a very
serious difficulties here because you'll find nothing works on XP. The
world has moved on. You just have to buy a new machine and start using
Linux that will last you for another 20 years minimum. No privacy issues
and all the internet features works.

Shadow

May 5, 2023, 6:48:51β€―PM5/5/23
To be fair, under Linux the latest Thunderbird calls home, and
worse, keeps those connections live why you're accessing your mail.
Wireshark is your friend.
It's probably a "feature".

AugustA

May 5, 2023, 7:13:34β€―PM5/5/23
** On Wednesday 03.05.23 - 13:29, address wrote to :

> Whoops, I just noticed the "All previous versions" link (under the what
> looks like the linux versions), and from there there got to the
> https://sylpheed.sraoss.jp/sylpheed/win32/ page. Alas, no mentioning of
> Windows version support there. :-|

Using Sylpheed 3.2.0 here, but primarily just for nntp. I don't see too many config options in Mail though.

--
../|ug

R.Wieser

May 6, 2023, 2:03:17β€―AM5/6/23
Eagleview,

> I know the answer to the question

You do ? If so, what stopped you from posting it ? That would been
helpfull.

> You are in a very serious difficulties here because you'll
> find nothing works on XP.

Its always fun to see people claim such things - in a thread which contains
proof of the opposite.

> You just have to buy a new machine and start using Linux

Ah yes, the old "if you have a problem, no matter what it is, you have to
ditch whatever you are currently have and start using something completely
different" suggestion.

Also, what does a linux fan like you in a newsgroup for an OS that you seem
to detest ?

Kid, I don't think you know the solution. You're just here to either bash
people who use XP, or more likely, to troll.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

VanguardLH

May 6, 2023, 2:31:27β€―AM5/6/23
Go clean your loaded shotgun, and do us all a favor with an accident.

JJ

May 6, 2023, 4:41:01β€―AM5/6/23
On Fri, 5 May 2023 21:40:20 +0200, R.Wieser wrote:

> I just installed and started it. The very first thing it tried to do was
> to connect to a handfull of mozilla servers. Strike one.
>
> It doesn't seem to have any accessible configuration where I can gouvern
> (stop!) such behaviour. Strike two.

Unfortunately, that is true and I'm completely agree with you.

Thunderbird (TB) has an advanced setting like in Firefox's `about:config`,
it's just that for older TB versions, it's presented in a dialog rather than
a tab, since older TB versions still use XUL.

However, it doesn't provide all of the needed settings such as disabling the
phone-home. What we can do is to hijaak all of the phone-home URLs so that
it points to `localhost`. e.g. from:

https://www.mozilla.net/leak-receiver

https://localhost/www.mozilla.net/leak-receiver

For setting which contains only host name(s) rather than URL(s), we can
change them to use `.local` TLD which will never resolve to any IP unless
the user specifically sets up a DNS for it. e.g. change `www.mozilla.net` to
`www.mozilla.net.local`.

While this may be an ill method, it shouldn't be needed if Mozilla doesn't
do ill things in the first place. They may call it a "feature" or whatever.
It's a privacy leaker.

R.Wieser

May 6, 2023, 7:10:29β€―AM5/6/23
JJ,

> Thunderbird (TB) has an advanced setting like in Firefox's `about:config`,

Can you tell me how I can get to such a configuration screen ? I do not see
any button, tab or other control even /hinting/ it it. :-\

> What we can do is to hijaak all of the phone-home URLs so that
> it points to `localhost`

I pretty-much did that (which is why I could see all the "phone home"
domains), but used a white- instead of a blacklist, as the email program
only needs to talk to two domains : one pop and one smtp. Blacklisting
everything also stops any HTML-email from by accident(?) accessing external
resources.

Having said that, I could imagine that Thunderbirds auto configuration could
be helpfull to a less experienced user - but at a cost.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

VanguardLH

May 6, 2023, 1:24:07β€―PM5/6/23
I know Mozilla has their online article on how to disable many of the
automatic/background connections that Firefox makes:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-stop-firefox-making-automatic-connections

I haven't found an equivalent article for Thunderbird.

JJ

May 7, 2023, 3:05:16β€―AM5/7/23
On Sat, 6 May 2023 11:59:19 +0200, R.Wieser wrote:

> Can you tell me how I can get to such a configuration screen ? I do not see
> any button, tab or other control even /hinting/ it it. :-\

It behind the Advanced button on the Options dialog.

JJ

May 7, 2023, 3:08:09β€―AM5/7/23
Uh... a "Config Editor" button on General tab of Advanced section.

R.Wieser

May 7, 2023, 6:37:31β€―AM5/7/23
JJ,
>> Can you tell me how I can get to such a configuration screen ? I do not
>> see
>> any button, tab or other control even /hinting/ it it. :-\
>
> It behind the Advanced button on the Options dialog.

> Uh... a "Config Editor" button on General tab of Advanced section.

Thanks.

It turns out I was pretty-much staring myself blind at the tabs in the email
pane (expecting some kind of "file" -> "configuration drop-down menu - or
some textfield where I could enter that "about:config" string), while fully
overlooking the "hamburger menu" there - even though my FF 52 also has one.
:-(

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Ken Blake

May 7, 2023, 1:11:32β€―PM5/7/23
On Fri, 5 May 2023 09:51:55 -0500, sticks <wolve...@charter.net>
wrote:
Thanks. I'll take a look at it when I get the chance.

m0k0...@wp.pl

May 8, 2023, 4:25:44β€―AM5/8/23
R.Wieser wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> My internet provider just send me a email that they are going to pull a
> google, and will switch off unencrypted connections to their mail servers at
> the end of this month.
>
> My current email program is Outlook Express 6 which uses a POP3 connection
> and have it set to plain-text only. Although the "outlook express 6" part
> likely needs to change (it doen't support nowerdays SSL) I would like to
> keep the other two (POP3, plain text).
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions ? Reminder : it needs to run under XP.
>
> Regards,
> Rudy Wieser

I think the last supported version of the seamonkey suite should be
fine, however i haven't tried its mail & newsgroups program, therefore
i'm not sure.

https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/2.49.5

R.Wieser

May 8, 2023, 7:05:50β€―AM5/8/23
m0k0cch1,

> I think the last supported version of the seamonkey suite should be
> fine, however i haven't tried its mail & newsgroups program, therefore
> i'm not sure.
>
> https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/2.49.5

Thank you.

Am I to understand that v2.49.5 is the last version compatible with XP (the
latest version is 2.53.16) ?

By the way, a bit of a "lol" : the yellow bit at the top mentions some FUD
and than says "We strongly advise you to download the current release
instead. ". Only than to, when you follow that link, tell you that "your
platform is no longer supported" (for that latest version) ...

Feels a bit stupid too : if they can figure out my platform, why not show me
the last working version for it ?

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

m0k0...@wp.pl

May 8, 2023, 11:17:12β€―AM5/8/23
You're welcome ^_^

Yes the last version of the seamonkey suite that's compatible with XP is
v2.49.5, while the latest overall version is v2.53.16

Yea I agree, it's quite daft that if the website can detect your OS,
then it won't show you the last supported version for it.

Frankly I wish seamonkey still supported XP. It'd make sense for such a
program to support XP. I hope a KernelEx type thing for XP will someday
be a reality, but that might just be wishful thinking lolz ( ´ω`)

Regards,
m0k0cch1

R.Wieser

May 10, 2023, 6:03:52β€―AM5/10/23
m0k0cch1,

> I think the last supported version of the seamonkey suite should be
> fine, however i haven't tried its mail & newsgroups program, therefore
> i'm not sure.
>
> https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/2.49.5

I just installed it, and was not asked to set up a pop3 and/or smtp server
address. Looking in the configuration I could not find anything in that
regard either.

IOW, it looks like it only supports *webmail*. Alas.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Kerr-Mudd, John

May 10, 2023, 7:05:43β€―AM5/10/23

R.Wieser

May 10, 2023, 8:27:25β€―AM5/10/23
John,

> I don't know, but how about trying:
[snip]

Thanks for the link.

I already checked there, and there is no "account" under "files" -> "new"
here.

And one of my pet peeves : that webpage does not mention for which version
of SeaMonkey that that information is valid. :-(

Ah, I just noticed that that I could select, from the top menu, "windows" ->
"Mail & newsgroups". The new dialog there has got its own "file" -> "new",
and does indeed have an "accounts" entry.

Alas, I still do not have any use for it though : I'm looking for something
that can do email, not an all-in-one solution.

Besides, it has the same problem as thunderbird : it tries to acces a
handfull of different servers whenever its started. Somehow I quite dislike
that.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Russell

May 10, 2023, 1:55:47β€―PM5/10/23
On 10/05/2023 13:25, R.Wieser wrote:

> Besides, it has the same problem as thunderbird : it tries to acces a
> handfull of different servers whenever its started. Somehow I quite dislike
> that.

The problem is between the chair and keyboard. This can't be solved
easily in the current educational climate when people have passed their
best times.

VanguardLH

May 10, 2023, 3:02:27β€―PM5/10/23
Seamonkey is primarily a web browser. Every web browser supports web
mail which is just a web site. That's probably why it doesn't start a
mail wizard on installation, because it's a web browser. E-mail was
added. So was NNTP (newsgroups). Up to *you* to define the accounts.

https://www.seamonkey-project.org/doc/features

Yeah, some documentation is missing, but you can find online help.

https://www.mboxtooutlook.org/blog/seamonkey-account-setup-for-pop-imap-smtp-server.html

Of course, drilling through the product lets you discover how to use it.
I've never used Seamonkey, but it doesn't seem overly complicated.

Seamonkey is a composite product: web browser, e-mail client, newsgroups
client, HTML editor, and chat client. I'm sure there are folks out
there that just use the e-mail component.

https://www.mboxtooutlook.org/blog/seamonkey-account-setup-for-pop-imap-smtp-server.html

I'm not fond of combo clients. I use an e-mail client to do e-mail. I
use a web browser to do e-mail. I use an NNTP client to do newsgroups
(although it supports e-mail, I don't add any e-mail accounts to it to
prevent accidental posting of e-mail to newsgroups, plus I suspect it
doesn't support TLS 1.3 or OAUTH2 which means I'd have to add sTunnel).
I also prefer best-of-breed individual tools instead of tool suites of
kit that toss in tons of lesser tools. But some folks want a focal
point to get at multiple products or components.

Sjouke Burry

May 10, 2023, 3:26:47β€―PM5/10/23
Using TB ESR 17.0.1 on XP PRO to read this..........................

R.Wieser

May 11, 2023, 4:29:50β€―AM5/11/23
Russell,

> The problem is between the chair and keyboard. This can't be
> solved easily in the current educational climate when people
> have passed their best times.

I always have the utmost respect for people who claim that something is easy
to solve, but than refuse to explain how they did it themselves (or /think/
it should be solved).

I have the utmost respect for people who do not bother to read the thread
before posting some "thats a problem that can be solved" suggestion, as that
thread already contains post mentioning that the solution was already
applied.

Also, I have the utmost respect for people who do not seem to be able to
grasp that such this phoning-home program first needs to be started to gain
access its configuration - at which moment its too late.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

R.Wieser

May 11, 2023, 4:29:51β€―AM5/11/23
Sjouke,

>> IOW, it looks like it only supports *webmail*. Alas.
>>
> Using TB ESR 17.0.1 on XP PRO to read this..........................

Als, the subject was Seamonkey, not TB. :-)

But, in regard to SeaMonkey I was wrong : it does have an email part, but
you can only access it thru opening its browser first. Not what I am
looking for.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Mike Dee

Dec 19, 2023, 11:57:01β€―PM12/19/23
Late to this thread, but FWIW

On XP I use Thunderbird v2.0.0.23 (20090812) <- which I think is U.S.
for August 12, 2009.

It does email for me nicely and yes, it also supports SSL.

Haven't found the need to update TB further.

WRT your SeaMonkey comment. You can set in its prefences to open to the
email part first, not the browser. It's not a default setting but is
configured manually.

--
dee

R.Wieser

Dec 20, 2023, 2:09:57β€―AM12/20/23
Mike,

> Late to this thread, but FWIW

Just 7 months. :-)

> On XP I use Thunderbird v2.0.0.23 (20090812) <- which I think
> is U.S. for August 12, 2009.
>
> It does email for me nicely and yes, it also supports SSL.
> WRT your SeaMonkey comment. You can set in its prefences to open
> to the email part first, not the browser. It's not a default
> setting but is configured manually.

I found-and-tried Thunderbird 52.9.1. and seamonkey 2.49.5 , both of which
worked well enough. Alas, both of them have the habit of "phoning home"
every time I run them, which I can't say I like.

In regard to seamonkey: its build around an HTML engine, which is not what I
want my email to be. Plain-old text works for me.

In the end I chose to use a proxy program which converts the unencrypted
email connection into an encryped one. That way I could just keep using OE
6 - a program I have gathered quite a few tools for (not un-important, being
able to re-create a working setup)

Thanks for the response though.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

FE Office

Dec 20, 2023, 11:10:52β€―AM12/20/23
Am 03.05.2023 um 10:47 schrieb R.Wieser:
> My current email program is Outlook Express 6 which uses a POP3 connection
> and have it set to plain-text only. Although the "outlook express 6" part
> likely needs to change (it doen't support nowerdays SSL) I would like to
> keep the other two (POP3, plain text).

Are you sure you didn't miss to simply enable TLS 1.2 Support for
WinHTTP? It will make OE6 and Windows Live Mail again able to talk to
providers via encrypted transfer. You will also benefit of TLS 1.2 in IE
and other WinHTTP-enabled applications.

Precondition is IE8 and two POSready Updates
https://www-retrospace-net.translate.goog/infoseiten/readm.php?id=98&_x_tr_sl=de&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=de&_x_tr_pto=wapp

R.Wieser

Dec 20, 2023, 2:31:06β€―PM12/20/23
FE Office,

> Are you sure you didn't miss to simply enable TLS 1.2 Support for WinHTTP?

Everything is possible. But as I have sought for settings / upgrades as
well as posted a question about it in a newsgroup and have found nothing ...

> Precondition is IE8 and two POSready Updates

Well, that might be a problem. I have no use for IE8 (or IE in general) ...

But, it doesn't hurt to take a peek. Who knows, maybe I'll even start using
WinHTTP again :-)

Thanks for the info.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

t...@invalid.com

Dec 20, 2023, 5:43:32β€―PM12/20/23
On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 08:08:11 +0100, "R.Wieser" <add...@is.invalid>
wrote:

>Mike,
>
>> Late to this thread, but FWIW
>
>Just 7 months. :-)
>
>> On XP I use Thunderbird v2.0.0.23 (20090812) <- which I think
>> is U.S. for August 12, 2009.
>>
>> It does email for me nicely and yes, it also supports SSL.
>> WRT your SeaMonkey comment. You can set in its prefences to open
>> to the email part first, not the browser. It's not a default
>> setting but is configured manually.
>
>I found-and-tried Thunderbird 52.9.1. and seamonkey 2.49.5 , both of which
>worked well enough. Alas, both of them have the habit of "phoning home"
>every time I run them, which I can't say I like.

I'm using XP. I use Sygate firewall to block browsers and other
programs from phoning home. It's simple as heck to use for such a
purpose.I don't use all the fancy Window blocking stuff because I
don't understand that tech stuff.

https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/sygate_personal_firewall_free.html

User guide:
https://public.websites.umich.edu/~csev/hng/book/10security/refs/sygate_spf_userguide.pdf

R.Wieser

Dec 21, 2023, 2:30:49β€―AM12/21/23
Tim,

> I'm using XP. I use Sygate firewall to block browsers and
> other programs from phoning home.

Pretty much the same here (FireFox).

But I still dislike programs which attempt to do such things - especially
when there is no easily accessible configuration to disable it.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

sven12

Dec 25, 2023, 2:06:00β€―PM12/25/23

Kerr-Mudd, John

Dec 26, 2023, 10:39:49β€―AM12/26/23
Mailnews;

Sounds like Thunderbird to me.

sven12

Dec 30, 2023, 5:12:06β€―PM12/30/23
Hello Kerr-Mudd, John,
But with better GUI & works bit faster. Also did I methion Becky! Internet
Mail?

Jeff Lewis

Jan 12, 2024, 2:08:14β€―PMJan 12
hello, good day seeing this post i recently enlisted one of personal chargeback recovery services and I must admit I was more than impressed. If you have been a victim of bitcoin or any cryptocurrency scam, I feel like it’s my duty to connect you with a legit hacker like Astra. I started having a lot of issues with an investment company that goes by the name drip coin when I placed a withdrawal order for 297,000 USD From which I had with them. The so-called accountant disappeared, the support team did not respond to any of my emails and I thought it was over because I made the payments in crypto but I didn’t give up to have my funds back. Luckily for me with the help of Mr Astra I was able to recover my funds. I salute him for his service his emails: hacker...@proton.me and you can also Check him out on his website
https://hackerastra66.wixsite.com/hacker-astra-decrypt

I recover all my lost funds, Thanks Hacker Astra for help me achieve my long time goal, they also do other hacking services

πŸš€ Recovered $297K from a Crypto Scam! πŸš€ | My Experience with a Chargeback Service | #HackerAstra πŸ›‘οΈ

πŸ”₯ Have you been scammed by a cryptocurrency scheme? πŸ˜‘πŸ’Έ Don't worry, there's hope! I was in your shoes when I lost a massive $297,000 to Drip Coin. But thanks to the incredible services of a legit hacker named Astra, I got it all back! πŸ’°πŸ™Œ

πŸ‘‰ In this video, I share my personal journey of recovery and how Mr. Astra turned my nightmare into a dream come true. If you're struggling with a similar situation, you need to watch this! πŸŽ₯✨

πŸ”— Check out Hacker Astra's website for more info: https://hackerastra66.wixsite.com/hacker-astra-decrypt

πŸ“§ Contact Mr. Astra directly: hacker...@proton.me

πŸ’‘ Remember, it's not over until you give up! With the right help, you can fight back against crypto scams and reclaim what's yours. πŸ₯ŠπŸ”’

#CryptoScam #Chargeback #RecoveryService #HackerHelp #InvestmentRecovery #ScamAlert #CryptoRecovery #HackerAstraTestimonial #SuccessStory #Cryptocurrency #BitcoinScam #FightFraud #GetYourMoneyBack

πŸ‘ If you found this video helpful, please like, share, and subscribe for more content on how to protect and recover your investments. πŸ“ˆπŸ›‘οΈ

πŸ”” Don't forget to hit the notification bell to stay updated on all our latest posts! πŸ””

---

Disclaimer: This note is based on a personal experience and is not professional financial advice. Always conduct your own research and consult with a professional before making financial decisions.

---

πŸ“Œ Tags: #CryptoChargeback #LegitHacker #HackerAstraReview #Testimonial #CryptoInvestment #DripCoinScam #RecoverFunds #HackingServices #CryptoHelp #FinancialRecovery

πŸ‘‡ Have you ever been scammed? Share your experience in the comments below and let's support each other in the fight against fraud! πŸ‘‡

Sharon David

Jan 12, 2024, 5:10:11β€―PMJan 12