Delayed write error to USB

R.Wieser

Nov 24, 2023, 4:17:32 AM11/24/23
Hello all,

I've got an old XP sp3 machine (single core) which contains a number of
movies that I would like to copy to an external USB harddisk.

The problem is that no matter what I try I get an "delayed write" error. :-(

I've tried to copy using a commandline program as well as "file explorer",
and have tried a (nowerdays) standard USB drive as well as an old powered
one.

I've also googled for a solution (like disabeling the indexing service for
the drive), but did not find one which solved the problem.

Ah yeah, the drive is configured for "fast removal" (no buffering - but than
what is the "delayed write" all about ?).

Also, the 'puter pretty-much stops responding to either mouse or keyboard -
even after the the error is thrown (It also refuses to shut down and I have
to do it the hard way).

Question : What, on the XPsp3 computers side (which I now start to suspect)
might be causing the problem and how to I fix it ?

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

JJ

Nov 24, 2023, 5:48:57 AM11/24/23
If it was plugged to external USB hub, try plugging it directly to the
computer.

If it was already plugged directly to the computer, try plugging it to
different USB port.

John

Nov 24, 2023, 6:08:04 AM11/24/23
On Fri, 24 Nov 2023 10:17:13 +0100, "R.Wieser" <add...@is.invalid>
wrote:
Are the drives larger than 4GB?

XP dislikes large drives.

Could you move the files via an ethernet cable linking two boxes?

J.

>Regards,
>Rudy Wieser

R.Wieser

Nov 24, 2023, 6:40:31 AM11/24/23
JJ,

> If it was plugged to external USB hub, try plugging it directly
> to the computer.

Nope, ain all the tries it was plugged in directly.

> If it was already plugged directly to the computer, try plugging
> it to different USB port.

Also tried that. Might try that again with one of the ...five others I did
not try yet.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

R.Wieser

Nov 24, 2023, 6:40:32 AM11/24/23
John,

> Are the drives larger than 4GB?
>
> XP dislikes large drives.

Ehhh... I hope you mean 4*T*B. ? :-)

But no. The first one is just over a single TB, and the second, powered one
isn't even 40 GB. Yes, quite old.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

By the way, I connect the first US drive to another XP 'puter and than
successfully first copied the movie from the backup, and than back to the
drive (at another place).

> Could you move the files via an ethernet cable linking two boxes?

Probably. I could also move the drive to another puter or in the old,
powered casing. But I would like to first see if its just a simple setting
I'm not aware of.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Shadow

Nov 24, 2023, 11:35:24 AM11/24/23
On Fri, 24 Nov 2023 10:17:13 +0100, "R.Wieser" <add...@is.invalid>
wrote:

Try uninstalling your USB drivers then re-installing them.
I've never had your problem, and I use USB drives from 1GB to 1TB as
backups.
Might be a corrupt driver, or a conflict.
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012