Windows 98 on period accurate hardware

Renn Datravern

Sep 27, 2023, 6:31:22 PM9/27/23
Is it correct to assume that a AMD Athlon/Athlon XP machine is period
accurate for Windows 98SE. I built a machine for someone that uses a Athlon
XP 1700+ with Windows 98SE because I didn't have any spare hardware.

Would this be considered correctly period accurate? I usually try to stick
with Pentium II/III or AMD K6-II.

| _.--. |
| .' ` ' |
| ``'. .' .c-.. Sometimes you got to admit |
| `. `````` .-' Computers were a mistake. |
| -'`. )--. .'` |
| `-`._ \_`-- <ItsT3K> |

FE Office

Oct 29, 2023, 5:28:15 AM10/29/23
Anything having drivers for Win98 is "period accurate". It is up to your
choice if you demand a fast or slow 9x system.

Personally I opt for a K6-2+ or K6-3+ on a ASUS P5A Motherboarding (up to
revision 1.04 only) with 768MB RAM, ISA Sounblaster 16, S3 Trio 3D AGP
graphics card, Creative DXR3 MPEG2 accelerator card.
This setup is compatible with Windows 3.1 onwards, up to XP. It also has
native support by BeOS R5, Linux, MenuetOS and others.

BR
retrospace

"Renn Datravern" <itste...@gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

H1M3M

Jan 30, 2024, 10:17:46 AMJan 30
Renn Datravern wrote:
> Is it correct to assume that a AMD Athlon/Athlon XP machine is
> period accurate for Windows 98SE. I built a machine for someone that
> uses a Athlon XP 1700+ with Windows 98SE because I didn't have any
> spare hardware.
>
> Would this be considered correctly period accurate? I usually try to
> stick with Pentium II/III or AMD K6-II.

I got an AMD Athlon XP clocked at 1.6 ghz back in 2001, months before
Windows XP released. Everyone was still using Windows 98SE due to the
Fiasco ME was, so i would say it was still accurate for the final part
of the period.

If I remember correctly...

- AMX Athlong XP (K7) 1.6ghz
- 256mb DDR1 ram
- Radeon 7500 64MB

Bozo User

Feb 17, 2024, 4:31:12 AMFeb 17
That was my setup except for Athlon 2000 (1666 mhz) and a Geforce 2 MX
instead of a Radeon 7500.