Better for beginners: C, or C++

Simplify Please

Apr 25, 2020, 10:10:35 AM4/25/20
It's a question I have. I've looked up this question on the www, and get conflicting answers. I don't know yet if I will get into object oriented programming.

Ben Bacarisse

Apr 25, 2020, 12:18:44 PM4/25/20
Simplify Please <parkstre...@gmail.com> writes:

> It's a question I have. I've looked up this question on the www, and
> get conflicting answers.

Yes, that will happen even for matters of settled fact!

> I don't know yet if I will get into object oriented programming.

You don't have use any particular style with C++.

My advice: if you are beginner at programming, try something that will
get your further quicker like Python. If you really want it to be C or
C++, go for C++ as the standard library will allow you to write more
complex programs faster.

If you already know a fair bit of programming then I'd choose based on
what it is you want to do with it.

--
Ben.

Real Troll

Apr 25, 2020, 3:13:59 PM4/25/20
On 25/04/2020 17:18, Ben Bacarisse wrote:

> My advice: if you are beginner at programming, try something that will
> get your further quicker like Python.

Or even C#  (pronounced C-sharp)

C# is object oriented and transitioning to C++ is pretty easy.

Ben Bacarisse

May 14, 2020, 10:09:08 PM5/14/20
r...@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram) writes:
> If you want to learn a hard system programming language,
> such as C or C++, you should be able to give some
> convincing reasons why you not want to learn Python.

What an extraordinary thing to say! Can't someone want to learn both?

--
Ben.

Ben Bacarisse

May 15, 2020, 11:45:43 AM5/15/20
r...@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram) writes:
> As his first language.
>
> He might learn other languages later.

I learned FORTRAN, Algol and LISP at the same time. And SASL (a
precursor to Haskell) at almost the the same time. It was great fun.

--
Ben.

AIOE News Server

Sep 20, 2020, 10:23:26 PM9/20/20
r...@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram) Wrote in message:
> Simplify Please <parkstre...@gmail.com> writes:>It's a question I have. I've looked up this question on the>www, and get conflicting answers. I don't know yet if I will>get into object oriented programming. If you want to learn a hard system programming language, such as C or C++, you should be able to give some convincing reasons why you not want to learn Python.

What did people learn in the 70s as 80s and also 90s as a first
language? I say go with C. That should open doors for everything
else. If you can learn manual transmission, these fancy nowadays
transmissions that use computer programmes to do stuff will be
mothing
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch

Feb 6, 2021, 4:37:11 AM2/6/21
On Mon, 21 Sep 2020 13:16:39 +0000, Stefan Ram wrote:

> How can one write a program in C that reads in an arbitrary-length
> string? In BASIC, one just writes "INPUT X$". In BASIC, on directly
> expresses one's intentions in code.
>
> One can type-in algorithms from the Art of Computer Programming as
> BASIC also supports the powerful GOTO statement.

Reading an arbitrary long string in C (including the power and beauty of
``goto``):

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

int main(void) {
char *line = NULL; size_t n = 0;
loop: getline(&line, &n, stdin); puts(line); goto loop;
return 0;
}

Ciao,
Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch
--
“Es ist schon über so viele Dinge Gras gewachsen,
dass man bald keiner Wiese mehr trauen kann.”

Popping Mad

Feb 20, 2021, 5:44:58 AM2/20/21
On 2/6/21 4:37 AM, Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch wrote:
> Reading an arbitrary long string in C (including the power and beauty of
> ``goto``):

asshole

Mark Babli

Oct 28, 2021, 1:32:08 PM10/28/21
On Saturday, April 25, 2020 at 9:10:35 AM UTC-5, Simplify Please wrote:
> It's a question I have. I've looked up this question on the www, and get conflicting answers. I don't know yet if I will get into object oriented programming.

The question is like asking which region of the world is better! C/C++ have pros and cons to each. While C is the grandfather of all modern programming languages, C++ is the oldest son who surpassed the father's legacy. C#/Java could be the bright grand-children ( In my humble opinion). With that in mind. starting out with C++ might be easier than starting out with C. The STL makes otherwise harder tasks in C a bit easier on the programmer.