Help: I lost the source to my program, but I still have the EXE

Mike Wahler

Nov 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/28/00
Rich Johnson <Ri...@somewhere.com> wrote in message
news:3a245df4...@news.ctcn.net...
> Is there a program that can covert the EXE back to a c++ program?
>
> TIA
>
> -Rich J-

No. A binary executable is just machine
instructions. There's no way of even
determining *which* language the source
was written in, let alone converting it back.

The best you might do is find a 'disassembler'
some of which produce fairly decent assembly
language source code. But 'hand-translating'
that back to C++ is not a task for the faint
of heart. Probably practically impossible, once
you realize that for example, there's no reliable
way of determining if a chunk of code was the
result of a call to a standard library function,
or one you wrote yourself. Also there are an
almost limitless number of combinations of source
code constructs that would create the *exact*
same binary code.

So, did this tragedy teach you anything?
Back up, back up, back up. :-)
A client once asked me "which files
should I back up?" My answer: "Only
the ones you care about." .

As for myself, If I have any files I
*truly value*, I make *two* extra copies. :-)

-Mike

Rich Johnson

Nov 28, 2000, 8:39:33 PM11/28/00

Jack Klein

Nov 28, 2000, 9:44:19 PM11/28/00
On Wed, 29 Nov 2000 01:39:33 GMT, Ri...@somewhere.com (Rich Johnson)
wrote in alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++:

> Is there a program that can covert the EXE back to a c++ program?
>
> TIA
>
> -Rich J-

No.

Jack Klein
--
Home: http://jackklein.home.att.net

Rich Johnson

Nov 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/29/00
Thanks for the info. I did learn something.

On Tue, 28 Nov 2000 23:16:38 -0800, "Mike Wahler"
<mkwa...@mkwahler.net> wrote:

>Rich Johnson <Ri...@somewhere.com> wrote in message

>> Is there a program that can covert the EXE back to a c++ program?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> -Rich J-

al

Nov 30, 2000, 10:20:11 PM11/30/00

: Is there a program that can covert the EXE back to a c++ program?
:
: TIA
:
: -Rich J-
:
:

OT for this group

for info on decompilers and peoples misconceptions
(decompilers work a hell of a lot better with java as is compiled to
bytecode)

http://www.webcrawler.com/cgi-bin/WebQuery?searchText=decompiler
http://www.it.uq.edu.au/groups/csm/decompilation/
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Dome/3917/Decompilers.html
http://www.softpanorama.org/SE/reverse_engineering_links.shtml#Decompilers
http://www.it.uq.edu.au/groups/csm/dcc.html *.exe to c and thesis on
decompilation

http://archive.csee.uq.edu.au/~csmweb/decompilation/home.html
http://archive.csee.uq.edu.au/~csmweb/dcc.html
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Dome/3917/Decompilers.html

unless you can read assembly it won't be much use to you.

even the ones that produce c as output the c is unreadable to me

you might also want to have a look at getting masm32
http://www.pbq.com.au/home/hutch/masm.htm

could also have a look at
http://www.litespeed.org/

Alex