Is there a decompiler

Joel Fernandes

Jul 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/20/00

I would like to know if there is a free decompiler available .

Is there anything like a decompiler first of all ?
Something that can decompile .exe files into their orignal codes ?

Thanks ,

Joel.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Victor Bazarov

Jul 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/20/00
"Joel Fernandes" <jag...@batelco.com.bh> wrote...

> Hi,
>
> I would like to know if there is a free decompiler available .
>
> Is there anything like a decompiler first of all ?
> Something that can decompile .exe files into their orignal codes ?

About three-four months ago (if my memory doesn't deceive me)
there was a very detailed and long discussion on decompilers in
the forum comp.lang.c++.moderated. You could probably still
find it in Deja or Remarq (respective www dot com) if you search
by keyword "decompiler". If you're not interested to look there,
a short answer is "no".

Victor
--
Please remove capital A's from my address when replying by mail

RedX

Jul 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/20/00
There are programs that can translate a .exe back to asm-instructions.
But a program that can translate it back to C or any other, don't think so.
First every compiler generates asm in different way, so you would first need
to know wich compiler made the .exe before you could try translating it.
Second a compiler strips a lot of a program. Comments are erased before
compiling, and constants are replaced by their value. A lot more is done so
in the end you have a file that is very well readabel by a computer but
extremely difficult to impossible to read for a human (unless you are an
expert in asm).

RedX

Joel Fernandes <jag...@batelco.com.bh> schreef in berichtnieuws
8l7bdm$tj1$1...@nnrp1.deja.com...

> Hi,
>
> I would like to know if there is a free decompiler available .
>
> Is there anything like a decompiler first of all ?
> Something that can decompile .exe files into their orignal codes ?

Jim Fischer

Jul 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/20/00

"Joel Fernandes" <jag...@batelco.com.bh> wrote in message

> Is there anything like a decompiler first of all ?
> Something that can decompile .exe files into their orignal codes ?

No. About the best you can hope to do is convert some of the binary code
into some assembly language format. Furthermore, if there were such a thing
as a decompiler, companies like Microsoft, Sun, Borland, etc. would have
gone out of business years ago.

[Side note: Various universities have written some experimental
"decompilers", but these are generally not available to the public, and they
are (as I understand) not at all portable -- i.e., they must be used with a
specific compiler/OS/hardware environment. --end note]

Jim

al

Jul 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/21/00

"Joel Fernandes" <jag...@batelco.com.bh> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I would like to know if there is a free decompiler available .
>
> Is there anything like a decompiler first of all ?
> Something that can decompile .exe files into their orignal codes ?

http://archive.csee.uq.edu.au/~csmweb/decompilation/home.html
http://archive.csee.uq.edu.au/~csmweb/dcc.html
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Dome/3917/Decompilers.html

unless you can read assembly it won't be much use to you.

even the ones that produce c as output the c is unreadable

you might also want to have a look at getting masm32
http://www.pbq.com.au/home/hutch/masm.htm

could also have a look at
http://www.litespeed.org/

Alex

Al

Jul 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/21/00
> About three-four months ago (if my memory doesn't deceive me)
> there was a very detailed and long discussion on decompilers in
> the forum comp.lang.c++.moderated. You could probably still
> find it in Deja or Remarq (respective www dot com) if you search
> by keyword "decompiler".
Wow! I better go check it out.

> If you're not interested to look there,
> a short answer is "no".