Enable Range Checking + Enable Overflow Checking does not rebuild executable.

1 view

Skybuck Flying

Jan 13, 2023, 6:49:59 AM1/13/23
There is a bug in Delphi 10.3:

When enabling range checking and enabling overflow checking in the project settings compiler section, running the executable/application does not rebuild the executable.

Therefore it gives a wrong impression of the current project settings: access violations will happen, where range check errors should have happened !

So I recommend re-building the project/executables after changing these kinds of project/compiler settings, so that when running the application it gives a more consistent impression of the project settings.

At the very least there should be a pop-up, though we know we all hate pop-ups, but still, where it warns that project settings where changed and that a rebuild is necessary to include the recent project setting changes.
Then it could ask: "Rebuild executable Yes or No".

If user clicks yes, then executable will be re-build and run.
If user clicks no, then executable will not be re-build and then it should not ask again, because apperently the developer wants to run the older executable version without recent project setting changes, which admitteably is a bit weird, but ok, if he really wants to do that them let him be...

There is a slight change that the programmer/developer might miss this pop-up on accident by clicking it away by accident, but so be it, then he is screwed and will have to figure it out by himself.

Another possibility is to include a little asterix or other visual sign that a rebuild is necessary to include the latest changes, including project setting changes, so that at least the programmer has some kind of visual clue that the executable isn't recent or inline/consistent with current project settings.

Bye for now,
Skybuck.