A small pagefile.sys might make heavily optimized systems a bit faster.

1 view

Skybuck Flying

Jul 22, 2022, 8:49:19 PM7/22/22
My working hypothesis for now is that a small pagefile.sys for example 512 MB could make the PC a little bit faster.

This allows the system to swap some unused RAM pages to disk. This may cause the RAM to be more compact. Which can have caching benefits.

Especially L1, L2, L3 cache ways/less index conflicts.

The opposite could happen to though but less likely.

So keep memory compact might help the set associative caches to work a bit better.

The coming days I will run this laptop with 512 MB pagefile.sys, primarly in an attempt to stop opera/firefox crashes.... not sure why these two apps crash so much without a pagefile.sys... maybe something to do with errors messages I don't know.

So far I do seem to notice a little bit faster compute experience.

Quite bizar.

Further I believe threadripper 64 core cpu L1 and L2 caches and such might not be optimal for the CPU and might be a relic of smashing cores together.

A specially designed L2 cache for threadripper might work better.

I suspect threadripper 64 core version might have too many cache index conflicts and also insufficient L2 cache size !

Bye for now,
Skybuck.