Need help overclocking my gpu

PcGAmeR22

Sep 23, 2012, 12:19:51 PM9/23/12

Hello folks
I am using a gtx 460 1gb v2 video card , default clocks are
Core Clock Speed 867MHz
RAMDAC Clock Speed 400MHz
Shader Clock 1734MHz
Memory Clock 2025 MHz
core voltage , msi after burner says 1000 mV
i am trying to achieve 980 or 1ghz for core clock if possible but a
friend told me i need to change the core voltages to achieve that clock

how much should i pick up the voltage

Paul

Sep 24, 2012, 3:20:38 PM9/24/12
900MHz @ 1.050 volts
900MHz # 1.037 volts

http://www.overclock.net/t/787713/woot-900mhz-core-with-gtx-460

According to this, if you push it too far, the VRM declares
a problem, and the clock falls back for protection. So getting
to 1GHz might be tough to do. 900MHz looks easier. And according
to this, not all the cards have adjustable GPU VID voltage.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3809/nvidias-geforce-gtx-460-the-200-king/18

Paul

PcGAmeR22

Sep 26, 2012, 8:42:21 AM9/26/12

so i need to push my volts up to 1050 volts ? and i can call it a day
and overclock to 900 mhz without crashing in some games

Paul

Sep 26, 2012, 12:21:52 PM9/26/12
PcGAmeR22 wrote:
> so i need to push my volts up to 1050 volts ? and i can call it a day
> and overclock to 900 mhz without crashing in some games

You don't usually attack overclocking that way.

If the voltage is 1.000 now, you'd try bumping the frequency, to see
how far it will go with 1.000V.

Then, bump the control by the next voltage step. Repeat the tests
varying the frequency, until you get instability.

You proceed in small steps, to avoid big crashes. And by
doing it in small steps, you can make a graph on a piece
of paper. Making the graph, is to spot trends. For example,
if increasing the voltage, does not result in more frequency
range, then you've hit a "wall". And upon seeing that, there
is no point in trying to overclock further. You can then
turn the voltage down, to the point that the wall becomes
evident, and conclude that no further overclocking is worthwhile.

Looking at the graph, you can also extrapolate, and figure out
how much voltage it will take to get to a given frequency. The slope
of the graph, tells you where the card is headed.

You can see the slope of the line, in the plot here for a card. I
can predict using this graph, that I need 1.19V to reach 1120MHz.
That's an extrapolation.

http://tpucdn.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_680/images/clock_vs_voltage.gif

( http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_680/30.html )

And when you're finished, you don't leave the settings "on the
edge of stability". You crank down the frequency a bit, so the
card will always be stable in the games you play. If you're playing
against other players on the Internet, it wouldn't be very convenient
if your video card crashed every five minutes and the game had
to be started up again. You want settings that you can actually
use for something.

Paul

PcGAmeR22

Sep 26, 2012, 8:54:19 PM9/26/12

sounds very difficult ... i never knew overclocking was so hard

PcGAmeR22

Sep 29, 2012, 6:32:00 PM9/29/12

hello mate i pushed the core voltage to 1025v
ran oc scanner for 15 minutes on the following clocks
core 940
shader 1880
memory 2030
fan speed 100
temps went up to 74 and didnt go above that number , is this okay ?
[image:
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/415643_433302716729465_144196033_o.jpg]

Paul

Sep 30, 2012, 12:23:13 PM9/30/12
You got more than 900, so you're doing pretty good.

Time to test it on some real games, to make sure it's stable.

Paul

PcGAmeR22

Sep 30, 2012, 10:55:45 PM9/30/12

I pulled the voltage up to 1035v , pulled the core clock up to 990 mhz
without touching the memory , i played assassins creed for only 2
minutes and the game froze and crashed
any suggestions ? the temps are around 50c when that happens , so the
temps are okay

Paul

Oct 1, 2012, 5:01:52 AM10/1/12
You can increase the voltage, until the voltage regulator on
the video card detects an overload, and the clock is automatically reduced.

The thing is, OK, it's not very hot right now. Say you increase the
voltage, and Assassins Creed is stable. But then, you try another
title, and the video card gets really hot. At some point, there
is always going to be an overclock, that just isn't good enough
to keep, and you have to reduce the clock a bit.

Paul

PcGAmeR22

Oct 2, 2012, 7:32:08 PM10/2/12

I oced to 1037v 960 core and stock memory , ran bf3 on ultra 1080 for
about an hour
it seems stable , never went above 64c , is this fine ? will it reduce
life span

PcGAmeR22

Oct 2, 2012, 12:29:58 PM10/2/12
Is 1060v enough for those clocks " 960/2060 memory , i know i may be
going extreme but i overclocked to 940core/2040memory with 1025v and ran
bf3 on ultra on the between rock and hard mission "where the game takes
most of the hardware " and it seems pretty stable , the game crashed
after 30 minutes due to low virtual memory , im pretty sure it wasnt a
gpu crash , i have 8 gigs of ram but i can only use 3.5 , and with
google chrome and skype on the background such crashings are expected
oh p.s i noticed sometimes oc doesnt really do anything to my fps , is
that possibly due to improper voltage ?

Paul

Oct 2, 2012, 11:57:24 PM10/2/12
As long as that temperature reading is accurate, I don't see
what you're doing hurting anything. That's a good temp.

If the card was crashing out, doing VPU recoveries or whatever
(screen goes black for a second), I would back off on the overclock.

You want your setup to work well enough, that if you're playing
over the Internet, your machine isn't crashing when playing in teams.

Paul

PcGAmeR22

Oct 3, 2012, 11:47:51 AM10/3/12
I will test those clocks on other games like crysis 2 with dx11 on for
an hour
if i detect the same 65-64 c max load is it fine to leave the card on
those clocks ? and is 1ghz achievable on the same voltage right now , im
sure 40 mhz will not cause the card to go above 75c which is a border
line , my card atm already outperforms the original gtx 460 with the 256
bit memory , i tested my card on the same clocks of the original one ,
both on 960mhz using 3dmark11 and the 460 v2 " the one that i have got a
higher score , 4350 to 3890 :D