Upgrading my computer to a motherboard/mobo. with an i7 950 CPU...

1 view

Ant

Dec 7, 2010, 2:38:58 PM12/7/10
Hello!

I am thinking of replacing my current motherboard, CPU, RAM, etc. to an
Intel i7 950 CPU, its motherboard, and new RAM. I am still going to use
my old, updated Windows XP Pro. SP3 (don't need 64-bit and newer Windows
at this time since my old softwares still work). Is this going to be OK?

I can't decide which motherboard to go with:
1. Newer GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R (less stable and more bugs?)
2. Older EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-KR (more stable and less bugs?)

My current computer specifications (primary computer) details can be
found at http://zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/computers.txt ... I do not
overclock/OC, tamper with hardware settings, etc.

Thank you in advance. :)
--
Quote of the Week: "To the ant, a few drops of dew is a flood." --Iranian
/\___/\ Ant @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)

John McGaw

Dec 7, 2010, 3:20:43 PM12/7/10
On 12/7/2010 2:38 PM, Ant wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I am thinking of replacing my current motherboard, CPU, RAM, etc. to an
> Intel i7 950 CPU, its motherboard, and new RAM. I am still going to use
> my old, updated Windows XP Pro. SP3 (don't need 64-bit and newer Windows
> at this time since my old softwares still work). Is this going to be OK?
>
> I can't decide which motherboard to go with:
> 1. Newer GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R (less stable and more bugs?)
> 2. Older EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-KR (more stable and less bugs?)
>
> My current computer specifications (primary computer) details can be
> found at http://zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/computers.txt ... I do not
> overclock/OC, tamper with hardware settings, etc.
>
> Thank you in advance. :)

I have 32-bit XP SP3 running on BEAST, my number-crunching i7 machine (it
lives in the cellar and BEAUTY my other i7 lives up here with me) and
everything is fine and it only ever gets restarted once a month on patch
day. BEAST reports that it has a MSI X58 PLATINUM SLI(MS-7522) 1.0
motherboard which was probably the cheapest simplest available when I built
the system a bit over a year ago. As long as proper XP drivers are
available for whatever MB you choose I'd guess that it would work.