Home-built hardware

Rick C. Hodgin

Jul 26, 2018, 8:58:35 AM7/26/18
Anybody out there want to discuss home-built hardware?

--
Rick C. Hodgin

Paul

Jul 26, 2018, 9:02:51 AM7/26/18
Rick C. Hodgin wrote:
> Anybody out there want to discuss home-built hardware?

Is there something worth building ?

Paul

Rick C. Hodgin

Jul 26, 2018, 9:16:15 AM7/26/18
I'm here today because I'm working on creating an old IBM Model-F
style keyboard, but with more keys. It uses capacitive touch as the
Model-F keyboards did (no mechanical switch), and I've designed a
switch that's quieter:

Here's a thread on deskthority about it:
https://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/ibm-model-f-like-keyboard-designs-t16169-240.html#p419244

And here's the base design for an approximate 300-key monster:
http://www.libsf.org:8990/projects/LIB/repos/libsf/browse/ukm/keyboard/graphics/key_assignments_model_d3__illuminator.png

There are smaller designs as well
http://www.libsf.org:8990/projects/LIB/repos/libsf/browse/ukm/keyboard/graphics/key_assignments_model_d2__publisher.png

http://www.libsf.org:8990/projects/LIB/repos/libsf/browse/ukm/keyboard/graphics/key_assignments_model_d1__beacon.png

And much smaller versions:
http://www.libsf.org:8990/projects/LIB/repos/libsf/browse/ukm/keyboard/graphics/key_assignments_model_g3__trilight.png

http://www.libsf.org:8990/projects/LIB/repos/libsf/browse/ukm/keyboard/graphics/key_assignments_model_g2__purelight.png

http://www.libsf.org:8990/projects/LIB/repos/libsf/browse/ukm/keyboard/graphics/key_assignments_model_g1__ultralight.png

The switch I have gives the buckling spring feel, but is not nearly
as "clicky."

I just like to talk about such things and in my life I have no people
who are near who like to talk about design aspects. Even my family,
who is supportive, doesn't like to talk about the design.

--
Rick C. Hodgin

Paul

Jul 26, 2018, 10:40:33 AM7/26/18
alt.comp.periphs.keyboard (moribund)

Your project is as much a mechanical design project
as an electrical one.

It's probably easier to get an existing keyboard and
have custom keycaps made for it.

https://doi.ieeecomputersociety.org/cms/Computer.org/dl/mags/an/2005/01/figures/a102714.gif

18 x 12 matrix = 216 keys

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/14/17023214_7722c7e5cb_b.jpg

288 keys

https://www.atariarchives.org/deli/keyboard_karma4.jpg

400+ keys

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Large_chinese_keyboard.jpg

*******

The comment here: "But it never became mainstream"

You would have to ask yourself what all the reasons could be,
that a 400+ key keyboard did not take off.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_input_methods_for_computers

You know you're in a bad business to start with, when
established keyboard companies retire from the market,
leaving things to Chinese suppliers.

There are people trying to make "boutique" keyboards and
charge 4x as much for them, but their key cost is likely
higher too. These keyboards have various illumination schemes.
The target market is called "gamers".

You can make anything you want for yourself of course. You
could even use existing keyboard matrix chips, combine several
of them, include a small microcontroller, and do all the
remapping of keyup and keydown in there. But what is the
computer going to do with the input ? OSes typically have HID
drivers for maybe three formats of keyboards. Leaving a couple
hundred of your keys as "options" for a custom driver. Then
you have to write drivers for every OS you're going to support.

*******

Why not:

1) Use a standard keyboard.
2) Buy a touchscreen LCD monitor and place an OSK application
on the second monitor. Your special function keys can be
touch screen keys. You can even split the keys and use
two touch screens with half the special keys on each.
Being screen graphics, you can write titles for each
screen key dynamically, and have "modal" behavior if you
want.

Then all you need to do is design monitor stands for the two
touchscreens. A high end video card has sufficient mini
DisplayPort connectors to drive three monitors.

Paul

Rick C. Hodgin

Jul 26, 2018, 10:54:07 AM7/26/18
On 7/26/2018 10:40 AM, Paul wrote:
> [snip]

Thank you for your encouragement, Paul.

--
Rick C. Hodgin

Rick C. Hodgin

Jul 26, 2018, 10:59:54 AM7/26/18
On 7/26/2018 8:58 AM, Rick C. Hodgin wrote:
> Anybody out there want to discuss home-built hardware?

Does anybody else (other than "Paul") want to discuss home-built

Paul

Jul 26, 2018, 11:32:43 AM7/26/18
Rick C. Hodgin wrote:
> On 7/26/2018 10:40 AM, Paul wrote:
> > [snip]
>
> Thank you for your encouragement, Paul.

It's my feeling you should prototype the
idea first in "glass", and test it for
a while, and see whether the idea flies
in actual usage.

That way, you don't commit resources to no
good end.

If the concept proves out, your "glass" prototype
can be used to impress investors.

If the investor is too far away, they can buy
touch screen panels like the ones you prototyped
on, and run your test code for themselves, to
try out the idea. See if the layout or extra keys
are helpful or not.

There is a limit to how large a PCB you can
make, from a soldering perspective. You will
have to keep that in mind, when making your
largest assemblies. In one project I worked on,
it would have taken four passes through the soldering
machine, to process everything. The actual
laminate materials, in bulk form, are much larger
than a soldering line can handle, and are always
cut to size. The larger the keyboard you make
(if a monolithic assembly), the harder it
will be to make a stiff housing for it.

This is what your competition is making.

https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-3RA-00022-Surface-Ergonomic-Keyboard/dp/B01MFCTRZM

And look carefully at the review comments for that item.
Do you see how whiny the customers are ? Yes, that's
what your customers will be like. You have to please
people like that, to be successful.

Now, look at the feedback on boutique keyboards.
Same thing. The tiniest mistake in the feature set,
can doom the product to non-sales. To be successful
in the keyboard market, you have to be on the top of
your game. It's like the entire HID market. Mice or
trackballs. People either love your stuff or hate
it with a passion - then when they love it,
they expect you to offer it for sale at a
$20 price point. You're dealing with an impossible
to please customer base.

Paul

Rick C. Hodgin

Jul 26, 2018, 11:52:25 AM7/26/18
On 7/26/2018 11:35 AM, Paul wrote:
> [snip]

I would reply to you via email but you don't use a valid email.

I'm not taking any of your advice, anonymous "Paul."

I wish the best, but your ideas are not in line with my goals, do
not have any thoughts toward me, my time, my goals, the investment
of time I've already had in this project over potentially years,
and I do not wish to pursue anything you have to suggest.

Please stop responding to my posts.

--
Rick C. Hodgin

Bob F

Jul 26, 2018, 4:39:52 PM7/26/18
Nice way to treat the most helpful and knowledgeable person I've seen on
any of the computer related newsgroups. :-(

Paul - you're the man!

Rick C. Hodgin

Jul 26, 2018, 7:11:21 PM7/26/18
On 7/26/2018 4:36 PM, Bob F wrote:
> Nice way to treat the most helpful and knowledgeable person I've seen on any
> of the computer related newsgroups. :-(

It'll be my loss then.

--
Rick C. Hodgin