Want to modernize old computer

thef...@gmail.com

Dec 6, 2014, 10:31:12 AM12/6/14
I have an old computer.

Asus M4A79T Deluxe Green MB with an AMD Phenom II X3 720 at like 2.8GHz. I run FreeBSD and the whole box has been great but I thought I'd do something to perk it up a bit, like a "faster" proc and more memory. I'm OK with the used market too.

What can you folks suggest? Or is this just not worth it? I don't game at all so have limited video needs (Viewsonic VG2230wm).

Thanks!

Bob

Mar 15, 2015, 11:08:09 PM3/15/15

wrote in message
I just upgraded 4 systems - 2 Dell laptops and 2 Dell PC's (vintage
2009-2011) with additional memory and replacing the hard drives with SSD's..

1. Your system will typically benefit from additional memory. Yours can go
to 16Gb but I doubt you'll get much benefit past 8Gb unless you decide to do
some gaming or video / photo editing. Use Speccy (Piriform.com) or some
other program to see what speed memory you have now. If you add more memory
and it's rated speed is higher than what is in the system, it will run at
the lower speed so no need to get faster memory unless you're replacing it
all. Check your MB specs.

2. Add a SSD (Solid State Drive). PNY has some excellent prices for 120GB or
240GB drives right now. Your MB has 5ea 3GB SATA ports. Yes you can use a
6GB rated SSD on a 3GB bus. When you finally replace that old system, the
SSD can be reused in the newer system.

3. A video card upgrade may be in order but if you're not gaming or running
video intensive software that would benefit from a newer GPU - then don't
waste your money.

4. CPU upgrade. I'm not that versed on AMD CPU's even though I've owned
several. Yours is actually a 4 core CPU with only 3 being used. May want to
do some research on overclocking and about unlocking the 4th core. That may
or may not be of any value to you but the overclocking may. If you do want
to push it, look into a better cooling system for the CPU. I like the
closed-loop water colors from Corsair but there are similar solutions out
there.

The systems I just upgraded were for a business client and along with an
upgrade from WinXP to Win7 the systems are running like frightened cats. No
overclocking done on those.

Bob S.

Yousuf Khan

Mar 18, 2015, 3:49:23 PM3/18/15
Not sure what else you would need with FreeBSD, You could look into
upgrading the Phenom II with a faster Phenom II with more cores. More
RAM helps. A GPU would usually be another thing to add, but you're not
playing games, so no need there, and there are few games for BSD anyhow.

Yousuf Khan