Grabit Freeware Alternative

al

Sep 7, 2009, 8:42:06 AM9/7/09
Can anyone suggest a freeware alternative?

GrabIt is a free application that enables you to easily find and
download content from Usenet news servers.

Ron May

Sep 7, 2009, 10:48:05 AM9/7/09

You could use BinSearch http://www.binsearch.info/ and create .NZB
files. Not quite as convenient, but the end result is the same.

--
Ron M.
Help improve the ACF experience. Please don't feed the trolls.

Mike Echo

Sep 7, 2009, 6:03:02 PM9/7/09
In article <h82v2r$53f$1...@news.eternal-september.org>, a...@nospam.net
says...

> Can anyone suggest a freeware alternative?
>
> GrabIt is a free application that enables you to easily find and
> download content from Usenet news servers.

altbinz has a freeware version (then went shareware). Last freeware
version can be had from

http://www.altbinz.net/

and good configuration instructions can be found here:

http://www.ozusenet.info/

I use it.

R.

Ron May

Sep 7, 2009, 8:11:40 PM9/7/09

According to the tutorial on the above page, the freeware version no
longer has a working search function, so you still have to go to a web
search site and manually create a .NZB file.

Duddits

Sep 7, 2009, 10:13:07 PM9/7/09
On Mon, 07 Sep 2009 19:11:40 -0500, Ron May <may...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 08:03:02 +1000, Mike Echo <y...@wish.invalid> wrote:
>
>> In article <h82v2r$53f$1...@news.eternal-september.org>, a...@nospam.net
>> says...
>> >
>> > Can anyone suggest a freeware alternative?
>> >
>> > GrabIt is a free application that enables you to easily find and
>> > download content from Usenet news servers.
>>
>> altbinz has a freeware version (then went shareware). Last freeware
>> version can be had from
>>
>> http://www.altbinz.net/
>>
>> and good configuration instructions can be found here:
>>
>> http://www.ozusenet.info/
>>
>> I use it.
>>
>> R.
>>

>According to the tutorial on the above page, the freeware version no
>longer has a working search function, so you still have to go to a web
>search site and manually create a .NZB file.

True but nothing free comes close. My usenet provider has nzb
capability or one can use Newzleech: http://www.newzleech.com/

regards

Dud

Oldphart

Sep 7, 2009, 11:51:44 PM9/7/09
Are there any programs that will do what Peer Guardian II does for the
torrents that help keep from stepping into "honey traps"? (If one is
talking about binary downloads)

Ron May

Sep 7, 2009, 10:41:27 PM9/7/09
On Mon, 07 Sep 2009 22:13:07 -0400, Duddits <Dud...@Dreamcatcher.com>
wrote:

> True but nothing free comes close. My usenet provider has nzb
> capability or one can use Newzleech: http://www.newzleech.com/

You and I both use the same $ware reader, which does a good job with
.NZB files. Upthread I suggested http://www.binsearch.info/ but
thanks for newsleech. It pointed toward four other "Top NZB Sites".
Useful information to have.

Mike Echo

Sep 8, 2009, 6:02:22 AM9/8/09
In article <om7ba5h25h87nbgiv...@4ax.com>,
may...@hotmail.com says...

> According to the tutorial on the above page, the freeware version no
> longer has a working search function, so you still have to go to a web
> search site and manually create a .NZB file.

Sorry, I didn't give it a second thought as I use newzbin for all my
searches.

R.

Message has been deleted

al

Sep 9, 2009, 9:56:08 AM9/9/09
Yrrah wrote:
> al <a...@nospam.net>:

>> Can anyone suggest a freeware alternative?
>
> I know that GrabIt can be a memory hog and all that, but I am not
> aware of a free alternative which is so easy to use. Why are you
> looking for an alternative?
>
> Yrrah

Yrrah: your question is OFF TOPIC, as you so like to remind others (me
included). Go back to your life of copying and pasting "freeware updates".