Linus Torvalds isn't concerned about Microsoft hijacking Linux

John Corliss

Oct 8, 2019, 5:32:16 AM10/8/19
Seems like extreme naivety to me.

"OPEN-SOURCE DON Linus Torvalds has dismissed "anti-Microsoft stuff" and
says he isn't worried about the company hijacking Linux.

In a recent interview with ZDNet's Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols, Torvalds
talked in detail about Microsoft's Linux love-in, and why he doesn't
believe the company could ever "embrace, extend and extinguish" Linux,
as it has done with other technologies in the past.

In the past four years, Microsoft has surprised many members of the
open-source community by introducing things like native OpenSSH in
Windows 10 and including SUSE Linux, Ubuntu, and Fedora in the Windows
Store.

The company went further in May this year by releasing a new Windows 10
Insider Preview build featuring the Windows Subsystem for Linux 2
(WSL2), which includes a real Linux kernel, enabling users to run more
Linux software on Windows."

Full article is here:

https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3082376/linus-torvalds-not-worried-microsoft-hijacking-linux

--
John Corliss BS206. No ad, CD, commercial, cripple, demo, nag, pirated,
share, spy, time-limited, trial or web wares for me please. I filter out

p-0''0-h the cat (coder)

Oct 8, 2019, 7:16:28 AM10/8/19
On Tue, 8 Oct 2019 02:30:49 -0700, John Corliss <r9j...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Seems like extreme naivety to me.
>
>"OPEN-SOURCE DON Linus Torvalds has dismissed "anti-Microsoft stuff" and
>says he isn't worried about the company hijacking Linux.
>
>In a recent interview with ZDNet's Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols, Torvalds
>talked in detail about Microsoft's Linux love-in, and why he doesn't
>believe the company could ever "embrace, extend and extinguish" Linux,
>as it has done with other technologies in the past.
>
>In the past four years, Microsoft has surprised many members of the
>open-source community by introducing things like native OpenSSH in
>Windows 10 and including SUSE Linux, Ubuntu, and Fedora in the Windows
>Store.
>
>The company went further in May this year by releasing a new Windows 10
>Insider Preview build featuring the Windows Subsystem for Linux 2
>(WSL2), which includes a real Linux kernel, enabling users to run more
>Linux software on Windows."
>
>Full article is here:
>
>https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3082376/linus-torvalds-not-worried-microsoft-hijacking-linux

Which just goes to prove my argument that the GPL favours big business
over the little people. Microsoft can comply with the licence and still
make money out of this. Just because they are giving it away for free it
nonetheless makes their overall offering/s more attractive and will
increase sales.

The little people, all those who have contributed one way or another
over many years, and were supportive 'founders' and not the new wave of
'Prodigal Sons' [kiss their arse forgivingly and shower them with
profit] in general will not be able to monetize Linux because the GPL
only favours a certain narrow band business models which are generally
not an option for the little people. Google, another example, makes its
money elsewhere.

Down with the GPL.

Sent from my iFurryUnderbelly.

--
p-0.0-h the cat

punk ass dole whore troll, no nothing innumerate religious maniac,

NewsGroups Numbrer One Terrorist

By Appointment to God Frank-Lin.

Signature integrity check
md5 Checksum: be0b2a8c486d83ce7db9a459b26c4896

Nicodemus

Oct 8, 2019, 6:21:30 PM10/8/19
John Corliss <r9j...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:qnhl2r$p3$1...@dont-email.me:

> Seems like extreme naivety to me.
>
> "OPEN-SOURCE DON Linus Torvalds has dismissed "anti-Microsoft stuff"
> and says he isn't worried about the company hijacking Linux.
>
> In a recent interview with ZDNet's Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols, Torvalds
> talked in detail about Microsoft's Linux love-in, and why he doesn't
> believe the company could ever "embrace, extend and extinguish" Linux,
> as it has done with other technologies in the past.
>
> In the past four years, Microsoft has surprised many members of the
> open-source community by introducing things like native OpenSSH in
> Windows 10 and including SUSE Linux, Ubuntu, and Fedora in the Windows
> Store.
>
> The company went further in May this year by releasing a new Windows
> 10 Insider Preview build featuring the Windows Subsystem for Linux 2
> (WSL2), which includes a real Linux kernel, enabling users to run more
> Linux software on Windows."
>
> Full article is here:
>
> https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3082376/linus-torvalds-not-wo
> rried-microsoft-hijacking-linux

M$ is shit scared, it realizes that the market share will eventually
migrate to linux, GOD BLESS FREEWARE, and GOD BLESS the wise computer
users,

p-0''0-h the cat (coder)

Oct 8, 2019, 9:04:04 PM10/8/19
On Tue, 8 Oct 2019 22:21:23 +0000 (UTC), Nicodemus
<Ancient...@Heaven.Net> wrote:

>M$ is shit scared, it realizes that the market share will eventually
>migrate to linux

With talented programmers like you working day and night to make that a
reality it's a goddamned certainty boy. Yi Hi!

Flasherly

Oct 8, 2019, 9:56:03 PM10/8/19
On Wed, 09 Oct 2019 02:04:01 +0100, "p-0''0-h the cat (coder)"
<super...@fluffyunderbelly.invalid> wrote:

With talented programmers like you working day and night to make that
a reality it's a goddamned certainty boy. Yi Hi!

-

Revolutions, along with the PC's, share so much only to carry so far
past their initial enthusiasm;- then becomes its familiar, often
tedious, unto a common place where we can embrace our ball-&-chain:
Facebook's Mark Z., CEO of his army vast of syncopated 1-liner
scriptbots, is now worth $46B/US;- USENET is a little trickle of
posts, down by a hundred to its busier lanes past;- and it's another
day, according to our sources possibly no more than two, since a
president stepped up to declare himself officially a God with his
handheld.

Happy trails,
F.

-
"There is something noble in hearing myself ill spoken of, when I am
doing [so] well". -Just Alexander: Great for a decade, then dead at
age 30 after a binge drinking bout [symposium] lasting several days.

Nicodemus

Oct 9, 2019, 5:52:01 PM10/9/19
"p-0''0-h the cat (coder)" <super...@fluffyunderbelly.invalid> wrote in

> On Tue, 8 Oct 2019 22:21:23 +0000 (UTC), Nicodemus
> <Ancient...@Heaven.Net> wrote:
>
>>M$ is shit scared, it realizes that the market share will eventually
>>migrate to linux
>
> With talented programmers like you working day and night to make that a
> reality it's a goddamned certainty boy. Yi Hi!
>
> Sent from my iFurryUnderbelly.

Grasshopper you have to close your eyes to open your
eyes....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR5ApYxkU-U

p-0''0-h the cat (coder)

Oct 9, 2019, 7:51:18 PM10/9/19
On Wed, 9 Oct 2019 21:51:55 +0000 (UTC), Nicodemus
<Ancient...@Heaven.Net> wrote:

>"p-0''0-h the cat (coder)" <super...@fluffyunderbelly.invalid> wrote in
>
>> On Tue, 8 Oct 2019 22:21:23 +0000 (UTC), Nicodemus
>> <Ancient...@Heaven.Net> wrote:
>>
>>>M$ is shit scared, it realizes that the market share will eventually
>>>migrate to linux
>>
>> With talented programmers like you working day and night to make that a
>> reality it's a goddamned certainty boy. Yi Hi!
>>
>> Sent from my iFurryUnderbelly.
>>

>Grasshopper you have to close your eyes to open your
>eyes....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR5ApYxkU-U

Dreams don't fill an empty belly.

Nicodemus

Oct 10, 2019, 6:50:32 PM10/10/19
"p-0''0-h the cat (coder)" <super...@fluffyunderbelly.invalid> wrote
in news:2fsspe5gbbqedpnmc...@4ax.com:

> On Wed, 9 Oct 2019 21:51:55 +0000 (UTC), Nicodemus
> <Ancient...@Heaven.Net> wrote:
>
>>"p-0''0-h the cat (coder)" <super...@fluffyunderbelly.invalid> wrote
>>in news:87cqpe5kt0tb5i06u...@4ax.com:

>>> With talented programmers like you working day and night to make
>>> that a reality it's a goddamned certainty boy. Yi Hi!
>>>
>>> Sent from my iFurryUnderbelly.
>>>

>>Grasshopper you have to close your eyes to open your
>>eyes....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR5ApYxkU-U
>
> Dreams don't fill an empty belly.
>
> Sent from my iFurryUnderbelly.

Dreams open the the portals toward understanding

Nicodemus

Oct 10, 2019, 6:51:55 PM10/10/19
"p-0''0-h the cat (coder)" <super...@fluffyunderbelly.invalid> wrote
in news:2fsspe5gbbqedpnmc...@4ax.com:

> On Wed, 9 Oct 2019 21:51:55 +0000 (UTC), Nicodemus
> <Ancient...@Heaven.Net> wrote:
>
>>"p-0''0-h the cat (coder)" <super...@fluffyunderbelly.invalid> wrote
>>in news:87cqpe5kt0tb5i06u...@4ax.com:

>>> With talented programmers like you working day and night to make
>>> that a reality it's a goddamned certainty boy. Yi Hi!
>>>
>>> Sent from my iFurryUnderbelly.
>>>

>>Grasshopper you have to close your eyes to open your
>>eyes....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR5ApYxkU-U
>
> Dreams don't fill an empty belly.
>
> Sent from my iFurryUnderbelly.

Dreams open the doors to understanding,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_particle#References

p-0''0-h the cat (coder)

Oct 11, 2019, 4:23:25 AM10/11/19
On Thu, 10 Oct 2019 22:50:26 +0000 (UTC), Nicodemus
<Ancient...@Heaven.Net> wrote:

>"p-0''0-h the cat (coder)" <super...@fluffyunderbelly.invalid> wrote
>in news:2fsspe5gbbqedpnmc...@4ax.com:
>
>> On Wed, 9 Oct 2019 21:51:55 +0000 (UTC), Nicodemus
>> <Ancient...@Heaven.Net> wrote:
>>
>>>"p-0''0-h the cat (coder)" <super...@fluffyunderbelly.invalid> wrote
>>>in news:87cqpe5kt0tb5i06u...@4ax.com:

>>>Grasshopper you have to close your eyes to open your
>>>eyes....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR5ApYxkU-U
>>
>> Dreams don't fill an empty belly.
>>
>> Sent from my iFurryUnderbelly.
>>

>Dreams open the the portals toward understanding

I'm not sensing that they have had that effect upon you.

Dreams are more like randomly piecing together stuff you tore up and
threw in the dustbin and then being forced to read it.

p-0''0-h the cat (coder)

Oct 11, 2019, 4:31:21 AM10/11/19
On Thu, 10 Oct 2019 22:51:49 +0000 (UTC), Nicodemus
<Ancient...@Heaven.Net> wrote:

>"p-0''0-h the cat (coder)" <super...@fluffyunderbelly.invalid> wrote
>in news:2fsspe5gbbqedpnmc...@4ax.com:
>
>> On Wed, 9 Oct 2019 21:51:55 +0000 (UTC), Nicodemus
>> <Ancient...@Heaven.Net> wrote:
>>
>>>"p-0''0-h the cat (coder)" <super...@fluffyunderbelly.invalid> wrote
>>>in news:87cqpe5kt0tb5i06u...@4ax.com:

>>>Grasshopper you have to close your eyes to open your
>>>eyes....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR5ApYxkU-U
>>
>> Dreams don't fill an empty belly.
>>
>> Sent from my iFurryUnderbelly.
>>

>Dreams open the doors to understanding,
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_particle#References

I tried to dream about virtual particles but I am none the wiser. Did
your understanding of virtual particles come to you in a dream state?

I got lost on this bit "In quantum mechanics, a probability amplitude is
a complex number used in describing the behaviour of systems. The
modulus squared of this quantity represents a probability or probability
density."

Could you explain to us your understanding of this paragraph?

Nicodemus

Oct 11, 2019, 6:25:21 PM10/11/19
"p-0''0-h the cat (coder)" <super...@fluffyunderbelly.invalid> wrote in
From where did you get this paragraph? You are a stubborn cat who gets
stepped on demanding attention, pity the pooh

p-0''0-h the cat (coder)

Oct 11, 2019, 6:47:42 PM10/11/19
On Fri, 11 Oct 2019 22:25:14 +0000 (UTC), Nicodemus
So you can't help? Did you dream that you understood the web page you
quoted? Are you dreaming that you are stepping on me? Are you praying
that one day you might step on me? Tell us your dreams dreamer.

Clonezilla "Online imaging/cloning is not implemented yet." Larf.

Flasherly

Oct 11, 2019, 9:36:11 PM10/11/19
On Fri, 11 Oct 2019 23:47:38 +0100, "p-0''0-h the cat (coder)"
<super...@fluffyunderbelly.invalid> wrote:

Tell us your dreams dreamer.
Clonezilla "Online imaging/cloning is not implemented yet." Larf.

-

Sure it is. Or for whatever propagation methods are now used and how,
in a manner of professional applications. Symantec sold their
interests in 2013, and I'm not aware of what fills similarly a present
IT capacity.

Clonezilla by comparison I'd image are a squares-and-circles pegbord
for people to hammer in appropriately matched and colored IQ blocks.

-

Ghost (an acronym for general hardware-oriented system
transfer...developed by Murray Haszard in 1995 for Binary Research.
The technology was acquired in 1998 by Symantec.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norton_Ghost

p-0''0-h the cat (coder)

Oct 12, 2019, 4:12:34 AM10/12/19
On Fri, 11 Oct 2019 21:35:57 -0400, Flasherly <Flas...@live.com>
wrote:

> Tell us your dreams dreamer.
>Clonezilla "Online imaging/cloning is not implemented yet." Larf.
>
>-
>
>Sure it is.

The quote was from their web site.

What is good about this product because I can't see it. Look at the
other limitations. Blimey. If you have a Seagate or WD disk you get a
free cut down version of Acronis True Image. Yes *Free* as in as free as
this GPL dinosaur is free.

Flasherly

Oct 12, 2019, 7:10:48 AM10/12/19
On Sat, 12 Oct 2019 09:12:30 +0100, "p-0''0-h the cat (coder)"
<super...@fluffyunderbelly.invalid> wrote:

>What is good about this product because I can't see it. Look at the
>other limitations. Blimey. If you have a Seagate or WD disk you get a
>free cut down version of Acronis True Image. Yes *Free* as in as free as
>this GPL dinosaur is free.

Binary streamers have always been unique. They don't come on freeware
directories, not near as easily nor until later along in the picture.
They're simply not your common dozen for a farthing file-copy utility.
Their value, however I understood immediately, even before, in dealing
in their earliest and very rare iterations during Windows 95.

In a sense the binary streamer negates monied industry: There then
exists recourse to being infected by a website because all the push
poundcake scripts get simultaneously pressed into a deep binge, that
hole of an email attachment gets retrieved, or, most remarkably,
reinstalling Microsoft OS is no longer tantamount to Microsoft
Approved Standards;- There's no longer need to run, not walk, hellbent
with nail-bitten abject fear, to a store to buy the latest AV suite --
not once you have a binary OS back-up image ready, understand disk
management, and exercise to develop a reasonable sense when someone
approaches to ask you to pin on the jacket name tag with Sucker for a
label.

Acronis, CloneZilla -- why should they be especially an easy way out,
make someone's life less dependent on piles-on-high of greater
technicality? Why, after twenty years, did Symantec stop making
Norton's Ghost after Peter sold it, when Peter walked away from
pronounced good ol' American pragmatism enveloping the PC computer
revolution, period, to start up a recording venture with British
artist Brian Eno while collecting artwork treasures from the rest of
the world?

p-0''0-h the cat (coder)

Oct 12, 2019, 9:41:35 AM10/12/19
On Sat, 12 Oct 2019 07:10:41 -0400, Flasherly <Flas...@live.com>
wrote:
Ghost died because Acronis jumped in early on the VSS bandwagon. There
was some gnashing of teeth from the dummies that didn't RTFM but
evolution soon solved that in the real world. Here of course we run a
decade or so behind the leading edge while we wait for the inevitable U
turns from the over my dead body turkeys. Heraclitus was wrong. There
are two constants. Change and resistance to change. Q.E.D.

<cue Shadow>

Flasherly

Oct 12, 2019, 2:41:32 PM10/12/19
On Sat, 12 Oct 2019 14:41:32 +0100, "p-0''0-h the cat (coder)"
<super...@fluffyunderbelly.invalid> wrote:

>Ghost died because Acronis jumped in early on the VSS bandwagon. There
>was some gnashing of teeth from the dummies that didn't RTFM but
>evolution soon solved that in the real world. Here of course we run a
>decade or so behind the leading edge while we wait for the inevitable U
>turns from the over my dead body turkeys. Heraclitus was wrong. There
>are two constants. Change and resistance to change. Q.E.D.

I've always turned off Volume Snapshot Services and had nothing to do
with Microsoft restoration points. Symantec Ghost does have the
ability to work within volumes for specifics, but it's a part of an
Enterprise Suite Edition and as much a secondary process to augment
any actual streaming. All of which are user scheduled event -- hardly
the complexity underlying VSS state of time-monitor domain of events
the OS determines. As you're saying, a part of Acronis for
programmers working within that field, specificity to work within that
periodicity of a VSS environ -- which I've never even been remotely
familiar or to have seen in action.

Shadow

Oct 12, 2019, 3:32:11 PM10/12/19
On Sat, 12 Oct 2019 14:41:32 +0100, "p-0''0-h the cat (coder)"
<super...@fluffyunderbelly.invalid> wrote:

>Ghost died because Acronis jumped in early on the VSS bandwagon. There
>was some gnashing of teeth from the dummies that didn't RTFM but
>evolution soon solved that in the real world. Here of course we run a
>decade or so behind the leading edge while we wait for the inevitable U
>turns from the over my dead body turkeys. Heraclitus was wrong. There
>are two constants. Change and resistance to change. Q.E.D.
>
><cue Shadow>

A change?
I've never tried swinging. But since you asked nicely, maybe
we should give it a try.

http://asset-f.soupcdn.com/asset/14446/5511_fc25.gif

(use a download manager, the site keeps resetting)

Our fellow mates might find it strange at first, but I'm sure
they'll eventually be assimilated. Just like what happened with Win
10.
+1 on resistance is futile.
[]'s

PS If I misunderstood your proposal, post your real email
addresses anyway. For BD. He's pining.

>Sent from my iFurryUnderbelly.
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012

p-0''0-h the cat (coder)

Oct 12, 2019, 5:07:21 PM10/12/19
On Sat, 12 Oct 2019 16:31:20 -0300, Shadow <S...@dow.br> wrote:

>On Sat, 12 Oct 2019 14:41:32 +0100, "p-0''0-h the cat (coder)"
><super...@fluffyunderbelly.invalid> wrote:
>
>>Ghost died because Acronis jumped in early on the VSS bandwagon. There
>>was some gnashing of teeth from the dummies that didn't RTFM but
>>evolution soon solved that in the real world. Here of course we run a
>>decade or so behind the leading edge while we wait for the inevitable U
>>turns from the over my dead body turkeys. Heraclitus was wrong. There
>>are two constants. Change and resistance to change. Q.E.D.
>>
>><cue Shadow>
>
> A change?
> I've never tried swinging. But since you asked nicely, maybe
>we should give it a try.
>
>http://asset-f.soupcdn.com/asset/14446/5511_fc25.gif
>
> (use a download manager, the site keeps resetting)

Thank you for sharing. After we have BREXSHITTED and released from the
oppressive bureaucracy of the EU we will once again resume our rightful
place at the very top of competition sheep shagging. Will you be leading
out the Brazilian team?

> Our fellow mates might find it strange at first, but I'm sure
>they'll eventually be assimilated. Just like what happened with Win
>10.
> +1 on resistance is futile.
> []'s
>
> PS If I misunderstood your proposal, post your real email
>addresses anyway. For BD. He's pining.
>

>>Sent from my iFurryUnderbelly.

Sent from my iFurryUnderbelly.

Shadow

Oct 12, 2019, 6:53:36 PM10/12/19
On Sat, 12 Oct 2019 22:07:17 +0100, "p-0''0-h the cat (coder)"
<super...@fluffyunderbelly.invalid> wrote:

>On Sat, 12 Oct 2019 16:31:20 -0300, Shadow <S...@dow.br> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 12 Oct 2019 14:41:32 +0100, "p-0''0-h the cat (coder)"
>><super...@fluffyunderbelly.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>>Ghost died because Acronis jumped in early on the VSS bandwagon. There
>>>was some gnashing of teeth from the dummies that didn't RTFM but
>>>evolution soon solved that in the real world. Here of course we run a
>>>decade or so behind the leading edge while we wait for the inevitable U
>>>turns from the over my dead body turkeys. Heraclitus was wrong. There
>>>are two constants. Change and resistance to change. Q.E.D.
>>>
>>><cue Shadow>
>>
>> A change?
>> I've never tried swinging. But since you asked nicely, maybe
>>we should give it a try.
>>
>>http://asset-f.soupcdn.com/asset/14446/5511_fc25.gif
>>
>> (use a download manager, the site keeps resetting)
>
>Thank you for sharing. After we have BREXSHITTED and released from the
>oppressive bureaucracy of the EU we will once again resume our rightful
>place at the very top of competition sheep shagging. Will you be leading
>out the Brazilian team?

Bolsonaro says all Europeans are communists(he includes GB),
so sorry, can't go. I wouldn't want to displease him. You'll have to
sheep-shag with your commie friends. I appreciate the invitation
though.
And we don't have sheep here. Too hot.
Argentina's the place for sheep. Or it was. The farmers had to
sell off their stock to pay the banks. It's why they are having
massive fires there. No sheep --> grass grows tall --> gets dry -->
fires. Millions of acres burning as we speak.
But I digress slightly.

>> Our fellow mates might find it strange at first, but I'm sure
>>they'll eventually be assimilated. Just like what happened with Win
>>10.
>> +1 on "resistance is futile".

+2
[]'s

p-0''0-h the cat (coder)

Oct 13, 2019, 8:59:30 AM10/13/19
Do you have any Llamas willing to share your wellies? You will find that
their hind legs will fit in quite nicely with yours.

> Argentina's the place for sheep. Or it was. The farmers had to
>sell off their stock to pay the banks. It's why they are having
>massive fires there. No sheep --> grass grows tall --> gets dry -->
>fires. Millions of acres burning as we speak.
> But I digress slightly.
>>
>>> Our fellow mates might find it strange at first, but I'm sure
>>>they'll eventually be assimilated. Just like what happened with Win
>>>10.
>>> +1 on "resistance is futile".
>
> +2
> []'s

Shadow

Oct 13, 2019, 11:56:45 AM10/13/19
On Sun, 13 Oct 2019 13:59:24 +0100, "p-0''0-h the cat (coder)"
Peru, Bolivia maybe?

p-0''0-h the cat (coder)

Oct 13, 2019, 1:04:47 PM10/13/19
We have herds of Llamas here. Some in the village. They are employed in
the production of very soft socks and wooly hats with pom poms. When
they aren't knitting furiously they have a side line hypnotizing
children and young Mums in return for what look to be nuggets of
compressed silage. You appear to be bereft of cloven hooved creatures
except cattle I guess or have they moved to Mexico while they wait for
you to burn the rainforest down?