Privatefirewall Questions

nr

May 29, 2011, 6:37:32 PM5/29/11
I recently replaced ZoneAlarm with Privatefirewall and have a couple questions I'm hoping to get answers for.

1. There doesn't appear to be an update feature. How do you keep it up-to-date?
2. Do you use the Process Detection feature? If so, what impact on performance does it have?

Thanks for any insight, I'd welcome any suggestions or comments on its usage.

gufus

May 29, 2011, 6:48:23 PM5/29/11
Hello, nr!

"nr" <newsr...@midsouth.rr.com> wrote in message:
On Sun, 29 May 2011 15:37:32 -0700 (PDT):

> 1. There doesn't appear to be an update feature. How do you keep it
> up-to-date?

Why? Can you tell me the reason you need it on your PC?

--
-gufus
Thou Shalt NOT excessively annoy others or

Sent at 16:42

Pooh the Cat

May 29, 2011, 7:11:39 PM5/29/11
On Sun, 29 May 2011 16:48:23 -0600, "gufus"
<stop.nos...@shaw.ca> wrote:

> Can you tell me the reason you need it on your PC?

It's free goof brain, what more reason do you need.

--
Pooh the cat
Internet Terrorist, Mass Sock puppeteer, Agent provocateur, Gutter rat

Pooh the Cat

May 29, 2011, 7:36:54 PM5/29/11

Wow! I hope they paid a LOT MORE more attention to the programming
than they did to the graphic design.

Steve Terry

May 29, 2011, 11:33:23 PM5/29/11
Pooh the Cat wrote:
> On Sun, 29 May 2011 16:48:23 -0600, "gufus"
> <stop.nos...@shaw.ca> wrote:
>
>> Can you tell me the reason you need it on your PC?
>
> It's free goof brain, what more reason do you need.

Comodo security firewall is better and also free

Steve Terry
--
Get a free GiffGaff PAYG Sim and £5 bonus after activation at:
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/gfourwwk

Pooh the Cat

May 30, 2011, 7:59:56 AM5/30/11
On Mon, 30 May 2011 04:33:23 +0100, "Steve Terry" <gfou...@tesco.net>
wrote:

>Pooh the Cat wrote:
>> On Sun, 29 May 2011 16:48:23 -0600, "gufus"
>> <stop.nos...@shaw.ca> wrote:
>>
>>> Can you tell me the reason you need it on your PC?
>>
>> It's free goof brain, what more reason do you need.
>>
>Comodo security firewall is better and also free

The Windows firewall built into Vista, and Windows 7 is class. Why
would I want to use Chinkware with Geekbuddy support <jeeze>, or
indeed insert any third party code into the very fine network stack
developed by Microsoft, with a little help from BSD.

Shadow

May 30, 2011, 8:42:12 AM5/30/11
On Sun, 29 May 2011 15:37:32 -0700 (PDT), nr
<newsr...@midsouth.rr.com> wrote:

I got the urge to update my ancient kerio-2.1.5 a couple of
weeks ago. I'm a software freak, so I can't help it. I feel guilty my
firewall is so old and feeble, so every year I try out new ones.
Well, after several hours reading, I settled on
privatefirewall 7 or PCTools 7. Both free.
Well privatefirewall looked OK at first, but I noted it loaded
really late in the boot process. A lot of un-allowed programs
connected to the internet, and I got a stack of "an update is
available" messages BEFORE it loaded. That is really a no-go with me.
And the interface was really clunky, loads of tabs to make a simple
rule.
PCTools insisted my DNS server(analog-x fastcache) was a
proxy, and no matter what I did, it denied me using it, even if it was
clearly marked as "OK". No DNS , no internet. It also said that my
toolbar was connecting to the internet through internet explorer. I
cracked that toolbar myself, and there are no TCP/hijack instructions
in it at all. So that went too.
Back to kerio-2.1.5 Is there ANYTHING out there as good "or
bad" as kerio ? I don't give a fsck about incoming traffic, the only
service I run is DNS. I only care about outgoing stuff.
TIA
[]'s

Bear Bottoms

May 30, 2011, 8:55:10 AM5/30/11
Shadow <S...@dow.br> wrote in

Comodo Firewall.

--
Bear Bottoms
Owner http://bearware.info

Franklin

May 30, 2011, 9:48:28 AM5/30/11
Bear Bottoms,who in the CIA do you report to? Please advise us.
Thanks ahead of time,sir.
Franklin

David H. Lipman

May 30, 2011, 10:32:38 AM5/30/11
From: "nr" <newsr...@midsouth.rr.com>

FireWalls really do NOT need updating. Their job is to analyze packets coming into a
computer or network as well as packets exiting a computer or network. Based upon sets of
rules and algorithms, the fireWall may pass or reject IP packets.

Windows comes with a FireWall. One really needs to make sure it is working properly and
not use 3rd party FireWalls that will have a higher impact on computer resources. What is
MORE important is to use a hardware based FireWall. This will not impact your resources
on the computer but will enhance you level of security. There are SOHO Routers for
Broadband that are simplistic FireWalls due to Network Address Translation (NAT) as well
as SOHO Routers for Broadband that have a full FireWall implementation.

--
Dave
Multi-AV Scanning Tool - http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

Pooh the Cat

May 30, 2011, 11:09:55 AM5/30/11
On Mon, 30 May 2011 10:32:38 -0400, "David H. Lipman"
<DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>FireWalls really do NOT need updating.

Yes they do.

>MORE important is to use a hardware based FireWall. This will not impact your resources
>on the computer but will enhance you level of security. There are SOHO Routers for
>Broadband that are simplistic FireWalls due to Network Address Translation (NAT) as well
>as SOHO Routers for Broadband that have a full FireWall implementation.

Some dodgier than others. There are some really great, mature F/OSS
firewall projects, m0nowall, pfSense, Clarkconnect, to name a few.

If you're serious, these are a better place to start.

David H. Lipman

May 30, 2011, 11:53:31 AM5/30/11
From: "Pooh the Cat" <super...@IPaddress.invalid>

> On Mon, 30 May 2011 10:32:38 -0400, "David H. Lipman"
> <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
>
>> FireWalls really do NOT need updating.
>
> Yes they do.
>
>> MORE important is to use a hardware based FireWall. This will not impact your
>> resources
>> on the computer but will enhance you level of security. There are SOHO Routers for
>> Broadband that are simplistic FireWalls due to Network Address Translation (NAT) as
>> well
>> as SOHO Routers for Broadband that have a full FireWall implementation.
>
> Some dodgier than others. There are some really great, mature F/OSS
> firewall projects, m0nowall, pfSense, Clarkconnect, to name a few.
>
> If you're serious, these are a better place to start.

Not unless they are like Snort and do intrusion detection/prevention.

Pooh the Cat

May 30, 2011, 12:19:12 PM5/30/11
On Mon, 30 May 2011 11:53:31 -0400, "David H. Lipman"
<DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>From: "Pooh the Cat" <super...@IPaddress.invalid>
>
>> On Mon, 30 May 2011 10:32:38 -0400, "David H. Lipman"
>> <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
>>
>>> FireWalls really do NOT need updating.
>>
>> Yes they do.
>>
>>> MORE important is to use a hardware based FireWall. This will not impact your
>>> resources
>>> on the computer but will enhance you level of security. There are SOHO Routers for
>>> Broadband that are simplistic FireWalls due to Network Address Translation (NAT) as
>>> well
>>> as SOHO Routers for Broadband that have a full FireWall implementation.
>>
>> Some dodgier than others. There are some really great, mature F/OSS
>> firewall projects, m0nowall, pfSense, Clarkconnect, to name a few.
>>
>> If you're serious, these are a better place to start.
>>

>Not unless they are like Snort and do intrusion detection/prevention.

I assume that was a reply to the updating debate?

In which case

I can think of of the top of my head.

Firewalls requiring source port randonization fixes for recent DNS
vunerablity issues.

IPv6 all kinds of stuff not sorted yet.

Support for new protocols.

Bugfixes in general.

David H. Lipman

May 30, 2011, 2:21:52 PM5/30/11

Bugfixes are another matter and I'll give you that. Look at FireWall appliances and you
don't see them getting updated "rules".

Pooh the Cat

May 30, 2011, 2:59:35 PM5/30/11
On Mon, 30 May 2011 14:21:52 -0400, "David H. Lipman"
<DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

Whatever, on to more interesting matters.

EMET, what do you think?

I'm thinking this could be useful tech to use with apps like Adobe
Reader, Winhlp32.exe, stuff like that, which gets compromised
occasionally.

David H. Lipman

May 30, 2011, 3:30:07 PM5/30/11
From: "Pooh the Cat" <super...@IPaddress.invalid>

> Whatever, on to more interesting matters.
>
> EMET, what do you think?
>
> I'm thinking this could be useful tech to use with apps like Adobe
> Reader, Winhlp32.exe, stuff like that, which gets compromised
> occasionally.

EMET ?

Pooh the Cat

May 30, 2011, 3:42:26 PM5/30/11
On Mon, 30 May 2011 15:30:07 -0400, "David H. Lipman"
<DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>From: "Pooh the Cat" <super...@IPaddress.invalid>
>

>> Whatever, on to more interesting matters.
>>
>> EMET, what do you think?
>>
>> I'm thinking this could be useful tech to use with apps like Adobe
>> Reader, Winhlp32.exe, stuff like that, which gets compromised
>> occasionally.
>>

>EMET ?

"What is the Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit?
The Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (EMET) is a utility that
helps prevent vulnerabilities in software from being successfully
exploited. EMET achieves this by using security mitigation
technologies. These technologies function as special protections and
obstacles that an exploit author must defeat to exploit software
vulnerabilities. These security mitigation technologies do not
guarantee that vulnerabilities cannot be exploited. However, they work
to make exploitation as difficult to perform as possible. In many
instances, a fully-functional exploit that can bypass EMET may never
be developed."

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2458544

Joe

May 30, 2011, 3:53:51 PM5/30/11
Best free firewall? Link
http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-firewall.htm

I've used Zone Alarm years ago, lots of problems back then
Sygate would never work for me
Online Armor was ok once it was set-up
Comodo was ok once it was set up
(both were annoying the first few days)
I am just using the Win7 built in firewall now. I'd try the newest
version of OnlineArmor if I wanted extra protection.

> Back to kerio-2.1.5 Is there ANYTHING out there as good "or
> bad" as kerio ?

There is no real need to update a firewall that is working.
If you like Kerio and your used to it, why change?
Does it pass the online firewall tests mentioned a few days ago?
Gibson Research's LeakTest and another one I can't remember right now?

H-Man

May 30, 2011, 4:06:54 PM5/30/11
On Mon, 30 May 2011 15:30:07 -0400, David H. Lipman wrote:

> From: "Pooh the Cat" <super...@IPaddress.invalid>
>

>> Whatever, on to more interesting matters.
>>
>> EMET, what do you think?
>>
>> I'm thinking this could be useful tech to use with apps like Adobe
>> Reader, Winhlp32.exe, stuff like that, which gets compromised
>> occasionally.
>>

> EMET ?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=c6f0a6ee-05ac-4eb6-acd0-362559fd2f04
or
http://preview.tinyurl.com/2g63sus

--
HK

Pooh the Cat

May 30, 2011, 6:17:09 PM5/30/11
On Mon, 30 May 2011 15:53:51 -0400, Joe <jsal...@netscape.net> wrote:

>There is no real need to update a firewall that is working.
>If you like Kerio and your used to it, why change?

You're the expert Joe.

http://www.kerio.com/support/security-advisories

sh@dow

May 30, 2011, 8:00:11 PM5/30/11
On Mon, 30 May 2011 23:17:09 +0100, Pooh the Cat wrote:

> On Mon, 30 May 2011 15:53:51 -0400, Joe <jsal...@netscape.net> wrote:
>
>>There is no real need to update a firewall that is working. If you like
>>Kerio and your used to it, why change?
>
> You're the expert Joe.
>
> http://www.kerio.com/support/security-advisories

It's vulnerable to a DOS attack, it can be compromised if someone
has physical access to my PC, it can cause a reboot if bombarded with
specially formed packages. All the others are because of "improvements"
later versions have, like remote administration.
Immunity through obscurity, I suppose, but I can't imagine why a
hacker would target my non-static IP address.
So I'm keeping Kerio-2.1.5 till the upgrade itch hits me again.
:)

(and if they do get in, I'll just format and re-install windows.
I can't even remember how, but I know someone that does it "all the
time", he'll help)
;)

sh@dow

May 30, 2011, 8:00:42 PM5/30/11
On Mon, 30 May 2011 23:17:09 +0100, Pooh the Cat wrote:

> On Mon, 30 May 2011 15:53:51 -0400, Joe <jsal...@netscape.net> wrote:
>
>>There is no real need to update a firewall that is working. If you like
>>Kerio and your used to it, why change?
>
> You're the expert Joe.
>
> http://www.kerio.com/support/security-advisories

It's vulnerable to a DOS attack, it can be compromised if someone

Gordon Darling

May 30, 2011, 8:07:04 PM5/30/11
On Tue, 31 May 2011 00:00:42 +0000, sh@dow wrote:

<snip>

> It's vulnerable to a DOS attack, it can be compromised if someone
> has physical access to my PC, it can cause a reboot if bombarded with
> specially formed packages. All the others are because of "improvements"
> later versions have, like remote administration.
> Immunity through obscurity, I suppose, but I can't imagine why a
> hacker would target my non-static IP address.
> So I'm keeping Kerio-2.1.5 till the upgrade itch hits me again. :)
>
> (and if they do get in, I'll just format and re-install windows.
> I can't even remember how, but I know someone that does it "all the
> time", he'll help)

But could you trust his advice?

Anyway he's moved on to a Chrome book (brick) and he's up in the cloud
(cuckoo land) at the moment!

Regards
Gordon

--
ox·y·mo·ron
n. pl. ox·y·mo·ra or ox·y·mo·rons

sh@dow

May 30, 2011, 8:08:30 PM5/30/11
On Mon, 30 May 2011 15:53:51 -0400, Joe wrote:

>> Back to kerio-2.1.5 Is there ANYTHING out there as good "or bad" as
>> kerio ?
>
> There is no real need to update a firewall that is working. If you like
> Kerio and your used to it, why change? Does it pass the online firewall
> tests mentioned a few days ago? Gibson Research's LeakTest and another
> one I can't remember right now?

Yes.
[]'s

sh@dow

May 30, 2011, 8:09:00 PM5/30/11
On Mon, 30 May 2011 15:53:51 -0400, Joe wrote:

>> Back to kerio-2.1.5 Is there ANYTHING out there as good "or bad" as
>> kerio ?
>
> There is no real need to update a firewall that is working. If you like
> Kerio and your used to it, why change? Does it pass the online firewall
> tests mentioned a few days ago? Gibson Research's LeakTest and another
> one I can't remember right now?

Yes.
[]'s

Pooh the Cat

May 30, 2011, 8:38:19 PM5/30/11

If you need any help imaging just Google 'extremely knowledgeable
eight year old Mexican orphan Baton Rouge'

Bear Bottoms

May 30, 2011, 9:11:37 PM5/30/11
"sh@dow" <s...@dow.br> wrote in news:is1b2b$qgv$1...@speranza.aioe.org:

Soooo passe. Learn to image.

sh@dow

May 30, 2011, 10:31:35 PM5/30/11
On Tue, 31 May 2011 01:38:19 +0100, Pooh the Cat wrote:

>> So I'm keeping Kerio-2.1.5 till the upgrade itch hits me again. :)
>>
>> (and if they do get in, I'll just format and re-install windows.
>>I can't even remember how, but I know someone that does it "all the
>>time", he'll help)
>> ;)
>>
> If you need any help imaging just Google 'extremely knowledgeable eight
> year old Mexican orphan Baton Rouge'

" Gator eats boy's pet turtle at Florida aquarium

October 13, 2010 12:32 PM
A horrified 8-year-old boy watched as his pet turtle disappeared into an
alligator's jaws at an aquarium in the Florida Panhandle. Colton Guthrie
had donated his pet red-eared slider, Tomalina, to the Gulfarium in Fort
Walton Beach when the turtle outgrew her home aquarium. Colton's mother
told the... more...."

Wrong page ?
[]'s
PS Sorry if this comes out double, aioe has a problem

John Corliss

May 31, 2011, 7:04:18 AM5/31/11
Shadow wrote:
> Back to kerio-2.1.5 Is there ANYTHING out there as good "or
> bad" as kerio ? I don't give a fsck about incoming traffic, the only
> service I run is DNS. I only care about outgoing stuff.
> TIA
> []'s

Good place to start looking is here maybe:

http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive-security-challenge/results.php

--
John Corliss BS206. No ad, CD, commercial, cripple, demo, nag, share,
spy, time-limited, trial or web wares OR warez for me, please.

aioe.org
alt.net [Altopia]
dizum.com
ecn.org
frell.theremailer.net
glorb.com
mixmaster.*
open-news-network.org
rip.ax.lt
tioat.net
usenet4all.se
x-privat.org
etc. (as they appear)

sh@dow

May 31, 2011, 8:20:38 AM5/31/11
On Tue, 31 May 2011 04:04:18 -0700, John Corliss wrote:

> Shadow wrote:
>> Back to kerio-2.1.5 Is there ANYTHING out there as good "or
>> bad" as kerio ? I don't give a fsck about incoming traffic, the only
>> service I run is DNS. I only care about outgoing stuff.
>> TIA

> Good place to start looking is here maybe:
>
> http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive-security-challenge/
results.php

That guy has been accused of receiving "incentives" for promoting
certain softwares, or , at the very least, being biased.
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/archive/index.php/t-203643.html
He seems to put an awful lot of "weight" in his scores for stuff
a firewall should NOT be doing, and which anti-malware should, favoring
suites.
BTW, I could not even find kerio-2.1.5 there, just the newer,
exploited versions of kerio.
[]'s

Shit the Cat

May 31, 2011, 6:29:47 PM5/31/11
On 31 May 2011 01:11:37 GMT, Bear Bottoms <bearbo...@gmai.com>
wrote:

Are you the mad bastard that posted this [see below] hundreds of
times, and trolled this group for years, cos you got in a paddy?

I didn't believe it when Pooh told us down the allotment.

From: Bear Bottoms <bearbotto...@gmai.com>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware
Subject: alt.comp.freeware versus alt.comp.pricelessware
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 19:27:55 +0000 (UTC)

Why should pricelessware groupies move to
alt.comp.pricelessware...duh!

PWH Cult (worst of):
Susan Bugher (PWH Webmaster)
REM (PWH Manager)
burnr (PWH Website Owner)
»Q« (Plonked)
Yrrah
Craig
badgolferman (plonked)
Ron May
John Fitzsimons
elaich
Nicolaas Hawkins
§
F.Reeware
Thip

Proteges: (slime promoters whom the above support)
Frank Camper (aka Ari Silverstone et al)
Franklin (most likely Ari Silverstone aka Frank Camper)
John Stubbins (Franklin wannabe noobie)
iNcReDuLoUs
Alvey

This PWH (pricelesswarehome.org) cult aims to dominate ACF by
aggressive
abuse. They spout hate and are mean and discourteous with the
intention
to ridicule and assasinate the character of anyone they deem in
opposition to their cause or those who don't join their team. They are
the bane of this NG.

PWH Call To Arms:
Susan Bugher wrote on Dec 15, 2008, 4:59 pm : "IMO anyone who has
acted
over a long period of time as if the name of this newsgroup is
alt.comp.freeWAR should now be PERMANENTLY shunned by other ng
participants => no friendly responses to ANY posts they make (even
those
that are entirely on-topic)."

[Note: Susan Bugher is the person who started the attacks that led to
the
current war and perpetuated them. This is not the first time either.
There have been many, starting with Susan Bugher's hostile take-
over/ouster from Genna of the original Pricelessware.org website
initiative and burnr registered and paid for the hostile replacement
domain name Pricelesswarehome.org. To this day, Genna still leaves the
original Pricelessware website up as a reminder to all who these folks
really are.]

When I first started posting in this group, those on the list I post
as
the PWH cult tried to bully me into bending to their rule. They said I
needed to lurk and learn "how they do things" before I should post. I
was
posting about freeware and my opinions about such and have posted on
Usenet for many many years. No lurking needed. They attacked anyway.
Why....see the next paragraph...I dared to challenge them.

Susan went on a tirade about PowerDesk which I stipulated seemed to be
going payware. She said wrong wrong wrong...which BTW, did go to
payware
in a short period of time. I tried to explain that I was simply
stating
what the indicators seemed to be saying. The rest of her gang joined
in
on the shark feeding frenzy trying to support her error and generally
badger me. I didn't acquiesce to their demands or allow their assault
deter me in any way.
<<http://tinyurl.com/7hg95q>> Which, BTW...PowerDesk went payware
shortly
thereafter!

It is the webmaster Susan Bugher of Pricelesswarehome.org making a
post
titled: "This is the ALT.COMP.FREEWARE newsgroup. FREEWARE posts are
welcome." As if some authority of ACF is posting a message to the
group,
when in fact it is not. The title should read for the SPAM it is:
"This
is the Pricelesswarehome webmaster posting an advertisement to ACF."
It
is spam. No case is needed for spam. It is a website advertisement
using
this group as a ploy. There is a newsgroup called
alt.comp.pricelessware
yet they persist in posting off-topic website business and conducting
pricelessware disussions in this group. I don't suppose they have
confidence that their perceptions of pricelessware is strong enough to
sustain itself in alt.comp.pricelessware.

They have continued to rally among themselves in this group in an
attempt
to bully others into submission of their pricelessware cause, and
failing
that, to denigrate, attempt character assassination, and generally try
find any leverage they can to try and maintain control or run others
out
of the group who do not drink their kool-aid. They failed.

History shows that they are offenders, trolls, and sockpuppets and
have
caused much harm to this group. Harm that far outweighs any benifits
they
may add, which is very little compared to contributions from many
other
participants who add great wealth to this group, me included. What
wealth
they add is negated by the poor behavior. They should be posting
within
the newsgroup alt.comp.pricelessware, yet they continue to try and
dominate this group. What they do in this group is off-topic for
alt.comp.freeware.

They cause great harm to this group. If they haven't figured it out
yet,
they will not deter me in any fashion as to how I participate in this
group. That they continue such a lost cause is demonstrative of poor
recognition that they are causing more harm without any benefit. They
need to move to alt.comp.pricelessware, as their current low character
assault on me and others will not do anything but continue to project
poor service to the group.

--
Bear Bottoms-Freeware Researcher Extraordinaire
Freeware website: http://bearware.info

--
Shit the cat

Internet Terrorist, Mass Sock puppeteer, Agent provocateur, Gutter rat

Illuminati Enforcer, Troika General Secretary EMEA

John Corliss (ES)

Jun 1, 2011, 6:09:57 AM6/1/11
sh@dow wrote:
> John Corliss wrote:
>> Shadow wrote:
>>>
>>> Back to kerio-2.1.5 Is there ANYTHING out there as good "or
>>> bad" as kerio ? I don't give a fsck about incoming traffic, the only
>>> service I run is DNS. I only care about outgoing stuff.
>>
>> Good place to start looking is here maybe:
>>
>> http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive-security-challenge/results.php
>
> That guy has been accused of receiving "incentives" for promoting
> certain softwares, or, at the very least, being biased.
>
> http://www.wilderssecurity.com/archive/index.php/t-203643.html

I just read through that entire discussion and found no mention of any
incentives. I might have missed something though.

> He seems to put an awful lot of "weight" in his scores for stuff
> a firewall should NOT be doing, and which anti-malware should, favoring
> suites. BTW, I could not even find kerio-2.1.5 there, just the newer,
> exploited versions of kerio.

Yeah, I noticed that too. But it's to be expected because 2.1.5 is so old.

Frankly though, I should have mentioned that I didn't intend the link I
provided to the matousec site as anything other than a list of firewalls.

Shadow

Jun 1, 2011, 8:07:26 AM6/1/11
On Wed, 01 Jun 2011 03:09:57 -0700, "John Corliss (ES)"
<q34w...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>sh@dow wrote:
//about firewalls//

>>> Good place to start looking is here maybe:
>>>
>>> http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive-security-challenge/results.php
>>
>> That guy has been accused of receiving "incentives" for promoting
>> certain softwares, or, at the very least, being biased.
>>
>> http://www.wilderssecurity.com/archive/index.php/t-203643.html
>
>I just read through that entire discussion and found no mention of any
>incentives. I might have missed something though.

Commodo runs the site. Pays the bills. Is that not "incentive"
? Testing is done by people comodo controls in it's forums. Is that
not bias ? BB is probably one of them ;)

Quoting site owner:
"Comodo is paying for the hosting of this site, however the results
are purely determined by end users who are testing all these
products."

"The testing is run by users at the comodo forums who volunteer."

Letters:
""Do not assume it is biased because the site is run by comodo."
You must be joking. Testing Comodo firewall with Defense+ with
firewalls without hips is totally wrong and unreliable. Why not
testing hips with hips and firewalls with firewalls?"

>> He seems to put an awful lot of "weight" in his scores for stuff
>> a firewall should NOT be doing, and which anti-malware should, favoring
>> suites. BTW, I could not even find kerio-2.1.5 there, just the newer,
>> exploited versions of kerio.
>
>Yeah, I noticed that too. But it's to be expected because 2.1.5 is so old.

But lots of people still use it. It passes all the leak/scan
tests.

>Frankly though, I should have mentioned that I didn't intend the link I
>provided to the matousec site as anything other than a list of firewalls.

Fair enough. I chose t PCTools and PrivateFirewall, because of
the results, after I had eliminated the biases. About three weeks ago.
:)
[]'s