february twenty-second two thousand twenty-four

Feb 16, 2024, 3:08:02 PMFeb 16

february twenty-second two thousand twenty-four, a day that will live in...
the calendar month that google flatlines could become another commemorative
holiday like eternal september, mensis februarius (purgation, dealienation)?

John C.

Feb 18, 2024, 7:02:04 AMFeb 18
A few days ago, I experienced an Eternal-September server overload at my
end. Admittedly, it was short lived but still was a minor irritant.

Hoping that the newsfeeds can easily adjust to the switch-over and that
it's not as pronounced an event as predicted.

Also, it's going to be nice to be able to remove a line from my
signature file.

--
John C. No ad, CD, cripple, demo, nag, pay, pirated, share, spy,
time-limited, trial or web wares for me please.

So that I don't see them, I filter out:
-crossposts (sent to multiple newsgroups) at a time
-posts sent via Google Groups* due to spam from that source
-trolls (eg. "Bucky Breeder" and his many sock puppets)

If you do the same, the group will be easier for you to read.

Feb 18, 2024, 10:40:51 AMFeb 18
On Sun, 18 Feb 2024 04:01:59 -0800, "John C." <r9j...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>D wrote:
>> february twenty-second two thousand twenty-four, a day that will live in...
>> the calendar month that google flatlines could become another commemorative
>> holiday like eternal september, mensis februarius (purgation, dealienation)?
>
>A few days ago, I experienced an Eternal-September server overload at my
>end. Admittedly, it was short lived but still was a minor irritant.
>Hoping that the newsfeeds can easily adjust to the switch-over and that
>it's not as pronounced an event as predicted.
>Also, it's going to be nice to be able to remove a line from my
>signature file.

the only prediction thus far is that google shall decommission their usenet
gateway as they announced last 14 december to be effective 15 february 2024
then moved the goal posts to the persisting expectation of 22 february 2024,
so they can easily modify their public announcement without previous notice
and keep doing that until the cows come home . . . if and when their usenet
gateway is actually disconnected, then dozens of spam-friendly news servers
could experience a measurable increase in spam, troll-farm infestation, etc.
certainly some news server administrators may be motivated to tighten their
restrictions on cross-posting, user registration requirements, and throttle
server access to limit use and potential abuse; simply limiting cross-posts
to five (5) and depeering any servers that allow more would be a good start,
better if crossposting were eliminated altogether, but it will get stricter

John C.

Feb 18, 2024, 11:40:13 PMFeb 18
D wrote:
> (snip)
> better if crossposting were eliminated altogether (snip)

Amen.