Update BEWARE!!! Pale Moon version 29.2.0 disables legacy extensions

John C.

Apr 27, 2021, 9:55:09 AM4/27/21
This morning, I accidentally allowed Pale Moon to update and when it
restarted, discovered that most of my extensions had been disabled. On
the program's home page, it says:

"Pale Moon 29.2.0 released • Announcements 3 hours ago – This is a
development and bugfix release.Starting with this version, we will no
longer be supporting unmaintained legacy Firefox extensions that are not
updated for/targeting Pale Moon directly.Please see the previous
announcement for details.Release notes as usual are available on
http://www.pal..."

and then the announcement was all messed up. However, I did learn that
the Linux versions will be changed the same way soon.

The main reason I've been using Pale Moon is because of its ability to
use legacy Firefox extensions. I've put up with poor page rendering and
other such problems, but now that this has happened I'm through with
Pale Moon and will be returning to using (*gag* *puke*) Firefox as my
main browser.

What a mess.
--
John C. BS206. No ad, CD, commercial, cripple, demo, nag, pirated,
share, spy, time-limited, trial or web wares for me please. I filter out

John C.

Apr 28, 2021, 2:11:22 AM4/28/21
Yrrah wrote:
> "John C." <r9j...@yahoo.com>:
>
>> This morning, I accidentally allowed Pale Moon to update and when it
>> restarted, discovered that most of my extensions had been disabled. On
>> the program's home page, it says:
>>
>> "Pale Moon 29.2.0 released • Announcements 3 hours ago – This is a
>> development and bugfix release.Starting with this version, we will no
>> longer be supporting unmaintained legacy Firefox extensions that are not
>> updated for/targeting Pale Moon directly.Please see the previous
>> announcement for details.Release notes as usual are available on
>> http://www.pal..."
>
>> The main reason I've been using Pale Moon is because of its ability to
>> use legacy Firefox extensions. I've put up with poor page rendering and
>> other such problems, but now that this has happened I'm through with
>> Pale Moon and will be returning to using (*gag* *puke*) Firefox as my
>> main browser.
>>
>> What a mess.
>
> Thanks for the warning.
> Fortunately I didn't update PM to v. 29.2. I'll have a look at the
> new "features" and may drop PM as well, unless someone comes up with a
> NoScript for PM. Besides, sooner or later the uBlockOrigin chap will
> stop supporting PM.
>
> BTW, have you tried Waterfox?

I haven't, but have checked it out:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterfox
https://www.waterfox.net/

It just might be the way to go. Thanks for reminding me, Yrrah.

Etaoin Shrdlu

Apr 28, 2021, 5:56:29 AM4/28/21
John C. wrote:

> "Pale Moon 29.2.0 released • Announcements 3 hours ago – This is a
> development and bugfix release.Starting with this version, we will no
> longer be supporting unmaintained legacy Firefox extensions that are not
> updated for/targeting Pale Moon directly.Please see the previous
> announcement for details.

Pale Moon wants recognition from legacy extensions.

If your legacy extension doesn't work no more, Pale Moon is not getting
the recognition it wants.

Simple.

> This morning, I accidentally allowed Pale Moon to update and when it
> restarted, discovered that most of my extensions had been disabled.

It seems most of your legacy extensions are abandoned ships.

John C.

Apr 28, 2021, 9:48:13 AM4/28/21
You speak only the obvious.

Flasherly

Apr 28, 2021, 1:16:42 PM4/28/21
On Wed, 28 Apr 2021 06:48:06 -0700, "John C." <r9j...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
>> John C. wrote:
>>
>>> "Pale Moon 29.2.0 released • Announcements 3 hours ago – This is a
>>> development and bugfix release.Starting with this version, we will no
>>> longer be supporting unmaintained legacy Firefox extensions that are not
>>> updated for/targeting Pale Moon directly.Please see the previous
>>> announcement for details.
>>
>> Pale Moon wants recognition from legacy extensions.
>>
>> If your legacy extension doesn't work no more, Pale Moon is not getting
>> the recognition it wants.
>>
>> Simple.
>>

>>> This morning, I accidentally allowed Pale Moon to update and when it
>>> restarted, discovered that most of my extensions had been disabled.
>>
>> It seems most of your legacy extensions are abandoned ships.
>
>You speak only the obvious.

I was only going to say I quit browers shortly after extensions,
however if not long after altogether browsers. Imaginatively, were
extensions freeware, extendable upon where, at the very precise moment
of updating to SP/3 DotNet Framework, a full-frontal stop alert
occurred: Extensions were then cleared to be replaced by the toilet
paper of recyclable, charged'n'deleted (TM) potable browsers.

!3 FIREFOX PORTABLE 2018
!6 OPERA USB 1218 2016
!4 PALEMOON 2016
!5 SEAMONKEY 2018
!1 OPERAPORTABLE
78,857,952 Firefox Portable_60.0.1.exe
44,670,427 Maxthon Portable_4.9.5.1000.paf.exe
51,015,320 !Opera Portable_53.0.2907.57.paf.exe
15,549,657 opera usb1218en.zip
32,898,240 Palemoon-Portable-27.9.2.win32.exe
52,097,995 seamonkey-2.49.3.zip

[Standard Disclaimer - Censured Blacklisting intermittently will be
expected to follow a continued course of severe thunderstorms.]

Dex

Apr 29, 2021, 6:11:05 AM4/29/21
On 28/04/2021 10:56, Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
> John C. wrote:
>
>> "Pale Moon 29.2.0 released • Announcements 3 hours ago – This is a
>> development and bugfix release.Starting with this version, we will no
>> longer be supporting unmaintained legacy Firefox extensions that are not
>> updated for/targeting Pale Moon directly.Please see the previous
>> announcement for details.
>
> Pale Moon wants recognition from legacy extensions.
>
> If your legacy extension doesn't work no more, Pale Moon is not getting
> the recognition it wants.
>
> Simple.

What do you mean by recognition? Payment?

>> This morning, I accidentally allowed Pale Moon to update and when it
>> restarted, discovered that most of my extensions had been disabled.
>
> It seems most of your legacy extensions are abandoned ships.

The Internet Download Manager extension stopped working on Palemoon
months ago, it's far from abandoned.

John C.

Apr 30, 2021, 1:08:08 AM4/30/21
Yrrah wrote:
> John C. wrote:
>>
>> This morning, I accidentally allowed Pale Moon to update and when it
>> restarted, discovered that most of my extensions had been disabled. On
>> the program's home page, it says:
>>
>> "Pale Moon 29.2.0 released • Announcements 3 hours ago – This is a
>> development and bugfix release.Starting with this version, we will no
>> longer be supporting unmaintained legacy Firefox extensions that are not
>> updated for/targeting Pale Moon directly.Please see the previous
>> announcement for details.Release notes as usual are available on
>> http://www.pal..."
>
> https://www.palemoon.org/releasenotes.shtml
> and details
> https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26657
>
>> and then the announcement was all messed up. However, I did learn that
>> the Linux versions will be changed the same way soon.
>
> I took the plunge and installed v. 29.2.0. The old legacy version of
> NoScript still works. Apparently eMatrix (etaMatrix) is a good
> alternative though. I'll see what happens. No panic yet...;-)

Well, instead of switching to Firefox I reverted back to Pale Moon ver.
29.1.0. Now the program keeps nagging me to update to 29.2.0.

I've looked in vain for a way to turn off the updated notices. Any idea
how to do this? TIA

lisa

Apr 30, 2021, 5:13:04 AM4/30/21
On Thu, 29 Apr 2021 22:08:00 -0700, "John C." <r9j...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>I've looked in vain for a way to turn off the updated notices. Any idea
>how to do this? TIA

tools --> preferences --> advanced -- never check for updates

Etaoin Shrdlu

Apr 30, 2021, 5:13:40 AM4/30/21
Dex wrote:
> On 28/04/2021 10:56, Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
>> John C. wrote:
>>
>>> "Pale Moon 29.2.0 released • Announcements 3 hours ago  –  This is a
>>> development and bugfix release.Starting with this version, we will no
>>> longer be supporting unmaintained legacy Firefox extensions that are not
>>> updated for/targeting Pale Moon directly.Please see the previous
>>> announcement for details.
>>
>> Pale Moon wants recognition from legacy extensions.
>>
>> If your legacy extension doesn't work no more, Pale Moon is not getting
>> the recognition it wants.
>>
>> Simple.
>>

> What do you mean by recognition? Payment?

What it said in the text which I had quoted: "updated for/targeting Pale
Moon directly."

>>> This morning, I accidentally allowed Pale Moon to update and when it
>>> restarted, discovered that most of my extensions had been disabled.
>>
>> It seems most of your legacy extensions are abandoned ships.
>>

> The Internet Download Manager extension stopped working on Palemoon
> months ago, it's far from abandoned.

John C has already confirmed that what I wrote about his legacy
extensions was "only the obvious."

lisa

Apr 30, 2021, 5:18:33 AM4/30/21
forgot the uodate tab

tools --> preferences --> advanced --> update -- never check for
updates

John C.

Apr 30, 2021, 9:12:21 AM4/30/21
Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
And yet, the extensions which have been disabled are ones I'm not
willing to do without.

John C.

Apr 30, 2021, 9:14:50 AM4/30/21
Ackkk! I was thinking about Firefox, which doesn't have that option.

Regardless, I succeeded in turning it off in about:config and the pref I
toggled is reflected in Preferences.

Thanks anyway.

Shadow

Apr 30, 2021, 11:12:51 AM4/30/21
wrote:

>Well, instead of switching to Firefox I reverted back to Pale Moon ver.
>29.1.0. Now the program keeps nagging me to update to 29.2.0.
>
>I've looked in vain for a way to turn off the updated notices. Any idea
>how to do this? TIA

My hosts file contains:

127.0.0.1 addons.palemoon.org # phones home even if disabled in
about:config
127.0.0.1 blocklist.palemoon.org # phones home even if disabled in
about:config
127.0.0.1 www.palemoon.org # phones home even if disabled in
about:config

That was from when I used Palemoon. I now use Newmoon, but
left the entries "just in case".
Updating *might* be using a different URL in your version.
Wireshark it.
HTH
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012

Bill Day

Apr 30, 2021, 11:34:52 AM4/30/21
On Tue, 27 Apr 2021 06:55:01 -0700, "John C." <r9j...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>This morning, I accidentally allowed Pale Moon to update and when it
>restarted, discovered that most of my extensions had been disabled. On
>the program's home page, it says:
>
>"Pale Moon 29.2.0 released • Announcements 3 hours ago – This is a
>development and bugfix release.Starting with this version, we will no
>longer be supporting unmaintained legacy Firefox extensions that are not
>updated for/targeting Pale Moon directly.Please see the previous
>announcement for details.Release notes as usual are available on
>http://www.pal..."
>
>and then the announcement was all messed up. However, I did learn that
>the Linux versions will be changed the same way soon.
>
>The main reason I've been using Pale Moon is because of its ability to
>use legacy Firefox extensions. I've put up with poor page rendering and
>other such problems, but now that this has happened I'm through with
>Pale Moon and will be returning to using (*gag* *puke*) Firefox as my
>main browser.
>
>What a mess.
Mine was not set to "never check", so it updated before I realized it.
I read this thread, then I went to the PaleMoon forum where he
explains the history and technical reasons for the changes... and read
this page:
https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26657
and this one:
https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=23697
I decided to see IF any of the extensions listed as exclusively for
PM would do in place of what was disabled.... with the option of
reverting if they didn't. (I still have the dowloads for various
versions in storage)

I already had an older version #24, which has many of the older
extensions still good. At least PM allows 2 or more versions to be
installed!

I have several other browers installed because I tend to use them for
different tasks.... such as my geneology research. Fot that I use
FlashPeak Slimjet....
I do use Vivaldi for a lot of things because I like its menu system
and GUI.
Then, there is Iron Portable for extra security.
I do have Waterfox, Cyberfox, SeaMonkey and even Lunascape, but almost
never even open them.
Yeah... WAY too many, but this newgroup has made me an **explorer**
of freeware and many ways to avoid M$ products.
It's complicated, but even with WIN7 I have had no serious problems in
years.
--
remove nonsense for reply

SpamBlk

Apr 30, 2021, 2:52:41 PM4/30/21
"John C." <r9j...@yahoo.com> wrote in <news:s6g3bi$sc8$1...@dont-email.me>:

> Well, instead of switching to Firefox I reverted back to Pale Moon ver.
> 29.1.0. Now the program keeps nagging me to update to 29.2.0.
>
> I've looked in vain for a way to turn off the updated notices. Any idea
> how to do this? TIA

If it is nagging you for updates, chances are it has been able to
phone home sucessfully to be able to tell there is a more
recent version.

I use pdnds (linux) for dns caching , it has the facility
to redirect hostnames to IP of local host, I disabled the
following:

shavar.services.mozilla.com
detectportal.firefox.com
location.services.mozilla.com
telemetry.mozilla.org
snippets.cdn.mozilla.net
incoming.telemetry.mozilla.org

Presumably Pale Moon has its own phonehome URL or URLs.
nirsoft I believe has a DNS logger and/or TCP monitor
so it should be quite easy to find out where it is
phoning to. Block the URL(s) even if using an about:config
pref to be even more sure of a phonehome-free browser.

John C.

May 1, 2021, 12:41:20 AM5/1/21
Shadow wrote:
> John C. wrote:
>>
>> Well, instead of switching to Firefox I reverted back to Pale Moon ver.
>> 29.1.0. Now the program keeps nagging me to update to 29.2.0.
>>
>> I've looked in vain for a way to turn off the updated notices. Any idea
>> how to do this? TIA
>
> My hosts file contains:
>
> 127.0.0.1 addons.palemoon.org # phones home even if disabled in
> about:config
> 127.0.0.1 blocklist.palemoon.org # phones home even if disabled in
> about:config
> 127.0.0.1 www.palemoon.org # phones home even if disabled in
> about:config
>
> That was from when I used Palemoon. I now use Newmoon, but
> left the entries "just in case".

I looked for a website for Newmoon, but all I could find was:

http://matejhorvat.si/en/unfiled/pmxp/index.htm

and then consequently:

https://github.com/Feodor2/Mypal/releases

This is an "unofficial" modification of Pale Moon that restores support
for XP.

> Updating *might* be using a different URL in your version.
> Wireshark it.
> HTH

Thanks, but I was easily able to block updating because I forgot that,
unlike Firefox, Pale Moon still has an option in
Tools/Preferences/Advanced/Update to "Never check for updates (not
recommended)" as was pointed out by lisa.

John C.

May 1, 2021, 12:42:58 AM5/1/21
SpamBlk wrote:
Thanks, but I was easily able to block updating because I forgot that,
unlike Firefox, Pale Moon still has an option in
Tools/Preferences/Advanced/Update to "Never check for updates (not
recommended)" as was pointed out by lisa.

Got a lot on my mind lately or else I wouldn't have missed that.

John C.

May 1, 2021, 12:53:48 AM5/1/21
Thanks Bill. I had my PM set to "Check for updates, but let me choose
whether to install them". When the notice for the update to version
29.2.0 abruptly popped open, I was very busily involved in something
very important on my computer and was about to press enter to finalize
it. Instead, the alert window took the keystroke as my permission to go
ahead and update. At the time I remember thinking, "Oh well, it's
probably nothing that big so oh well." After Pale Moon restarted and I
saw that second popup window telling me that so many of my extensions
had been disabled, I frantically tried to find replacements. I succeeded
with a lot of them, but unfortunately I had to abandon many others, all
of which were extensions I am unwilling to do without.

Luckily I'd just recently backed up my main drive to my backup drive, so
I was easily able to revert back to PM version 29.1.0.

I was also easily able to block updating because I forgot that,
unlike Firefox, Pale Moon still has an option in
Tools/Preferences/Advanced/Update to "Never check for updates (not
recommended)" as was pointed out by lisa.

This is a temporary situation though. I'll probably be going back to
Firefox.

Shadow

May 1, 2021, 11:10:56 AM5/1/21
On Fri, 30 Apr 2021 21:41:10 -0700, "John C." <r9j...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Shadow wrote:
>> John C. wrote:
>>>
>>> Well, instead of switching to Firefox I reverted back to Pale Moon ver.
>>> 29.1.0. Now the program keeps nagging me to update to 29.2.0.
>>>
>>> I've looked in vain for a way to turn off the updated notices. Any idea
>>> how to do this? TIA
>>
>> My hosts file contains:
>>
>> 127.0.0.1 addons.palemoon.org # phones home even if disabled in
>> about:config
>> 127.0.0.1 blocklist.palemoon.org # phones home even if disabled in
>> about:config
>> 127.0.0.1 www.palemoon.org # phones home even if disabled in
>> about:config
>>
>> That was from when I used Palemoon. I now use Newmoon, but
>> left the entries "just in case".
>
>I looked for a website for Newmoon, but all I could find was:
>
>http://matejhorvat.si/en/unfiled/pmxp/index.htm

I use this guy's build

http://rtfreesoft.blogspot.com/search/label/browser

An older version. I tend to quarantine Internet-enabled stuff
for a loooong time.
[]'s

>and then consequently:
>
>https://github.com/Feodor2/Mypal/releases
>
>This is an "unofficial" modification of Pale Moon that restores support
>for XP.
>
>> Updating *might* be using a different URL in your version.
>> Wireshark it.
>> HTH
>
>Thanks, but I was easily able to block updating because I forgot that,
>unlike Firefox, Pale Moon still has an option in
>Tools/Preferences/Advanced/Update to "Never check for updates (not
>recommended)" as was pointed out by lisa.

Like I said, it still phones home, even if you "tell it" not
to.

p-0''0-h the cat (coder)

May 1, 2021, 1:50:16 PM5/1/21
On Sat, 01 May 2021 12:09:39 -0300, Shadow <S...@dow.br> wrote:

> Like I said, it still phones home, even if you "tell it" not
>to.

Impossible. It's Yrrahware.

Live everyday like you're a cat.

Sent from my iFurryUnderbelly.

--
p-0.0-h the cat

liar, total ******* retard, shill, pooh-seur, Pooh Dendum, scouringerer,
jumped up chav, punk ass dole whore troll, no nothing innumerate religious
maniac, lycanthropic schizotypal lesbian, professional bully and stalker,
the most complete ignoid, joker, and furball.

NewsGroups Numbrer One Terrorist

By Appointment to God Frank-Lin.

Signature integrity check
md5 Checksum: be0b2a8c486d83ce7db9a459b26c4896

I mark any messages from trolls »Q« and 'Arlene' Holder as stinky

David

May 6, 2021, 3:54:42 PM5/6/21
On Tue, 27 Apr 2021 06:55:01 -0700, John C. wrote:
> This morning, I accidentally allowed Pale Moon to update and when it
> restarted, discovered that most of my extensions had been disabled... > Starting with this version, we will no
> longer be supporting unmaintained legacy Firefox extensions that are not
> updated for/targeting Pale Moon directly.Please see the previous
> announcement for details.Release notes as usual are available on...
>...but now that this has happened I'm through with
> Pale Moon and will be returning to using (*gag* *puke*) Firefox as my
> main browser.

You do have an alternative, which I've now tested successfully: alter the relevant extensions as explained on the PM forum, https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=16785

I use Linux, so for me that meant:
1) For extensions e.g. Remove It Permanently, that install to <profile_dir>/extensions/subdir_name/ you can use a text-editor to open/amend/save subdir_name/install.rdf
2) However most extensions live in <profile_dir>/extensions/ as xpi files, so it's a bit harder. An xpi is just a zip file, so you can use an archiver program to extract it somewhere (you might first need to rename it to *.zip), then amend its install.rdf, and rezip.

The good news is that PM will then happily let you use the amended extensions, without you needing to downgrade your profile first; just close/restart PM.

David

david

May 10, 2021, 10:28:00 AM5/10/21
On Tue, 27 Apr 2021 06:55:01 -0700, John C. wrote:

> This morning, I accidentally allowed Pale Moon to update and when it
> restarted, discovered that most of my extensions had been disabled... >
Starting with this version, we will no
> longer be supporting unmaintained legacy Firefox extensions that are not
> updated for/targeting Pale Moon directly.Please see the previous
> announcement for details.Release notes as usual are available on...
>...but now that this has happened I'm through with
> Pale Moon and will be returning to using (*gag* *puke*) Firefox as my
> main browser.

You do have an alternative, which I've now tested successfully: alter the
relevant extensions as explained on the PM forum, https://
forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=16785

I use Linux, so for me that meant two things: