Re: Mypal Question

Nic

Dec 14, 2021, 3:37:25 PM12/14/21
On 12/14/21 3:31 PM, m...@NotGmail.com wrote:
> I'm using Mypal ver. 29 with Win XP. I have Mypal set to be FFx
> compatible.
>
> When I load my FFx 52.9 bookmarks into Mypal, using the Mypal Organize
> Bookmark menu, I find that each time after Closing Mypal, the
> bookmarks have disappeared, and only the bookmarks that were installed
> one at a time with Mypal's Bookmark menu remain. In other words, all
> the bookmarks loaded from FFx have disappeared. I guess they weren't
> saved. How do I "save" them?

A simple search reveals-

10 Best Browsers For Windows XP 2021

https://rigorousthemes.com/blog/best-browsers-for-windows-xp/

Best Browsers For Windows XP

*1. Opera 36
<https://get.opera.com/pub/opera-winxpvista/36.0.2130.80/win/>*

Opera browsers are famously lightweight and consume less amount of
processing power compared to popular alternatives. That means older
versions like Opera 36 still work perfectly on dated OS’s like Windows
XP and Windows 7.

But being lightweight is just the tip of the iceberg as far as
advantages of using this browser go. Opera 36 comes with an in-built ad
blocker, allowing you to enjoy fast browsing speeds
<https://rigorousthemes.com/blog/fastest-browsers-on-android/>. You can
block unnecessary scripts that slow load times and strain CPU power
without installing a dedicated extension.

The web browser also has decent security features like a free VPN
<https://rigorousthemes.com/blog/10-best-vpn-in-australia/> and a
tracker blocker that prevents data collection.

Besides those, you also get several additional features that give you
the feel of using a modern web browser on your old computer. This is
most visible in the UI design. While simple and intuitive, it has a
sleek design that would not feel out of place on more recent Windows
OS’s like Windows 8 or 10. The interface is also completely customizable.

Another feature with a modern look is the Speed Dial. It is an elegantly
built, easy-to-use feature that allows you to visit your favorite
websites from the start page. There is also a News section down the
start page for keeping up with the latest happenings.

Also, suppose you have an Opera account on another device, mobile, or
PC. In that case, you can sync your data and access them on the XP
browser. You will be able to access your saved passwords, browsing
history, and bookmarks.

Check out some of the best Opera alternatives
<https://rigorousthemes.com/blog/best-opera-alternatives/> here.

*2. K-Meleon <http://kmeleonbrowser.org/>*

K-Meleon is one of the few browsers designed and maintained to work on
older Windows OS’s like Windows XP and 7. The web browser has been
around since August 2000, using the Gecko layout engine, the same one
that powers Mozilla Firefox.

The developers have since switched to the Goanna layout engine, a fork
of the Gecko layout. However, it still has the look and feel of Firefox.
So, you should still be able to find your way around the browser with
little effort necessary.

But if its default layout is not your cup of tea, K-Meleon has a highly
flexible interface design. You can do everything from repositioning
individual toolbars or changing the menus and toolbar buttons. Besides
the personal advantage, this also makes it an ideal browser for
computers meant for public use.

However, it is its lightweight nature that genuinely makes K-Meleon
ideal for Windows XP computers. It requires only 256 RAM, far less than
the maximum of 4GB RAM available to the OS. It means not only can it run
on XP or Vista, but it can also run on Windows 95 and any other OS that
predates Windows 7.

Despite its low RAM usage, it is fast, reliable, and supports few
Mozilla extensions. For extra extensions, the browser has plugins and
browser themes accessible from the browser’s website. You can use them
to extend its functionality and customize the general appearance,
respectively.

Lastly, despite having a small user base, K-Meleon still receives
regular support. The most recent version, K-Meleon 76, was released in
February 2021.

*Explore*: Best Browsers For Twitch
<https://rigorousthemes.com/blog/best-browsers-for-twitch/>

*3. Pale Moon <https://www.palemoon.org/>*

Since software companies with commercial interests have moved beyond
Windows XP, the development of browsers compatible with older software
has largely fallen to open source developers. Of the many out there,
Pale Moon is one of the more reliable and popular ones.

Like K-Meleon, it is a fork of Mozilla Firefox, with substantial
differences in user interface and behind the scenes. In terms of the
former, Pale Moon is highly customizable. For the latter, the
open-source web browser runs exclusively in single-process mode.

This fact, in particular, is why it is one of the best browsers for
Windows XP in 2021. Because single process architecture consumes a lot
less RAM, it is perfect for low spec laptops and desktops. Pale Moon
requires just 256MB of space, the kind of resource efficiency needed for
reliable browsing.

As for features, the browser comes with its own exclusive add-ons. It
has a substantial collection across multiple categories such as —

* Tools & Utilities
* Web Development
* Privacy & Security
* Social & Communication
* Alerts & Updates

The web browser also supports addons and plugins no longer supported by
newer versions of Mozilla Firefox. They include XUL, XPCOM, and NPAPI
plugins that enable Flash Player.

Beyond extensions, Pale Moon is an excellent option if privacy is a
significant concern. It uses DuckDuckGo as its default search engine. It
is renowned for its commitment to users’ privacy and filterless search.
Also, instead of Google’s geolocation software, it uses the IP-API service.

Another notable feature of Pale Moon as a Windows XP web browser is
support for multiple languages. It includes Russian, Hungarian,
Slovenian, Greek, Finnish, and 32 other languages on different
continents, a practical benefit in Armenia, where more than 50% of
computers still use Windows XP
<https://gs.statcounter.com/windows-version-market-share/desktop/armenia/#monthly-202007-202106>.

*Check Out*: Best Browsers For Video Streaming & Netflix
<https://rigorousthemes.com/blog/best-browsers-for-netflix-streaming-videos/>

*4. SeaMonkey <https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/>*

Mozilla Firefox isn’t the only great browser
<https://rigorousthemes.com/blog/best-firefox-alternatives/> that came
out of the famous Netscape Communicator. So did SeaMonkey, an
open-source software that is more than a browser. It is an internet
suite that includes a web browser, email, and news client program.

It also comes with an HTML editor, an IRC client, ChatZilla, and web
development tools. While these may not appeal to casual users, they are
helpful to advanced users, web developers, and corporate users.

The SeaMonkey web browser is based on the XUL architecture. Thus, it has
a more traditional interface reminiscent of the early days of internet
browsers. Users can take advantage of this to extend the functionality
of the browser with add-ons.

For regular users who just want a capable browser to access the
internet, SeaMonkey comes with a slew of modern features to help you
navigate easily.

It has tabbed browsing, so you never have to worry about opening one
page at a time. There is also session restore for picking up wherever
you stopped or in the rare instance that the browser crashes.

Additional features include —

* /Add-ons Management/: for installing extensions
* /Data Manager/: a central management interface for managing cookies,
permissions, site-specific data, passwords, and more
* /Pop-up Blocker/: ad and tracker blocker

A Smart Location Bar also allows you to search web pages you’ve visited
before to revisit quickly. SeaMonkey also comes with standard modern web
browser tools like toolbar customization, multi-language support,
security settings, and more.

More impressively, it is managed by an active developer community that
updates it regularly. The web browser and other software in the
SeaMonkey internet suite are compatible with Windows XP SP3 and above.

*Interesting Post*: Best Browsers For Smart TV
<https://rigorousthemes.com/blog/best-browsers-for-smart-tv/>

*5. UR Browser <https://www.ur-browser.com/en-US>*

One of the browser options on this list built on the popular Chromium
engine, UR Browser, is a web browser that is just as great on old
computers as it is on new ones. Its main selling point is its strong
focus on user privacy. The browser’s privacy suite includes tools like

* Anti-tracking – blocks cookies and tracks from learning about your
online identity
* AdControl – blocks ads scripts and helps pages load faster
* HTTPS Redirect – creates a stronger layer of security by forcing
HTTP websites to switch to their HTTPS page
* Anti Fingerprinting – prevents websites from collecting data such as
IP address and screen resolution from the browser

Perhaps the most impressive is its Ninja Mode, its take on the standard
incognito mode. UR Browser’s version enables you to browse incognito
within the same window. You can browse in regular and private modes
using different tabs.

Although this may not seem like a big deal, it helps conserve RAM and
battery. The web browser also comes with a virus scanner that scans
websites and blocks any cyber threat. A useful tool considering Windows
XP no longer receives security updates from Microsoft.

UR Browser also offers an in-built VPN. Ultimately, you can control the
effectiveness of these privacy features by setting privacy levels.

Besides its privacy and security features, UR Browser is easy to install
and simple to use. The interface is similar to Google Chrome
<https://rigorousthemes.com/blog/best-google-chrome-alternatives/>,
thanks to their shared Chromium engine. It also comes with a download
manager with a distinct look.

All these features and more are available to all old Windows PCs and
modern versions such as Windows 8, 8.1, and 10.

*6. Maxthon Browser <https://www.maxthon.com/>*

Besides Opera 36 mentioned above, Maxthon Browser is the second most
popular browser on this list and a great option if you want something
with a large user base. It is the product of the Chinese company
Maxthon, and it has been around since 2002.

Although it has been subject to data privacy scandals since its initial
release, it remains popular thanks to several features and compatibility
with multiple devices.

It is a multi-platform web browser that is available to Windows XP users
and macOS, Linux, Android, iOS, and Windows Phone users. Maxthon is
based on Chromium and has received recognition for its quality from
entities like CNET and PC World.

Despite its Chromium engine, Maxthon is a lightweight web browser. It
requires only 512MB of RAM, a 1GHz CPU, and 64 MB of hard drive space.
Not only does that make it suitable for an XP computer, but it can also
run on Windows 2000.

Also, the web browser comes with an in-built ad blocker, which makes
pages load faster and reduces RAM consumption.

It also has screen capture, multi-tab manager, autofill, smart address
bar, and multi-search. The latter allows users to input keywords in the
search bar and receive results from multiple search engines simultaneously.

Furthermore, Maxthon Browser has robust cloud synchronization and data
backup. So you can easily sync and access data such as passwords,
browsing history, bookmarks, and more from other devices on your Windows
XP computer, and vice versa.

Also, because of its Chromium engine, Windows XP users can enjoy the
full functionality of modern browsers by installing plugins. The web
browser supports the Chrome add-ons library. So you can install themes
or extensions to pimp out the browser to your preference.

*Interesting Comparison*: Brave vs Opera
<https://rigorousthemes.com/blog/brave-vs-opera-which-is-better/>

*7. Otter Browser <https://otter-browser.org/>*

Open source projects are often a form of protest against their
commercial counterpart. Otter Browser, one of the best browsers you can
install on Windows XP in 2021, is no different. Reportedly, in pursuit
of quarterly profits, Opera Software switched from the Presto layout
engine to Webkit and Blink engine.

Opera fans did not take kindly to the change, which led to Otter
Browser’s creation by Michael Dutkiewicz. It is an open-source web
browser that is completely free and available on practically every
platform, from Linux and OpenBSD to macOS and RISC OS.

The software is based on Qt WebEngine and QtWebKit. It has been around
since 2014, receiving support and updates from a dedicated developer
community and user base. The browser is built to resemble early versions
of Opera while making everything else modern and fully integrated with
desktop environments.

Besides the fact it is not tied to a corporate entity, Otter Browser
maintains its presence thanks to its modular model. This enables users
to replace components with their preferred designs.

If this sounds like Otter Browser is for advanced users, that is because
it is. But that is not to say it cannot do a good job for anyone with an
old Windows XP they want to bring back to life.

The browser comes with features for regular users like a password
manager, URL completion, speed dial. There is also an addon manager,
spell check, customizable GUI, and bookmarks.

Otter Browser is also very committed to privacy
<https://rigorousthemes.com/blog/best-browsers-for-privacy/>. It uses
DuckDuckGo as its default search engine and has in-built content
blocking tools that prevent ads and cookie tracking.

Overall, if you want a taste of old-school Opera with modern
capabilities and improved privacy and security features, Otter is worth
considering.

*Also Read*: Opera vs Vivaldi
<https://rigorousthemes.com/blog/opera-vs-vivaldi-which-is-better/>

*8. Slimjet Browser <https://www.slimjet.com/>*

Are you looking for a US-made lightweight alternative to Google Chrome
<https://rigorousthemes.com/blog/brave-vs-chrome-which-is-better/> for
your Windows XP that is just as fast? Slimjet Browser might just be what
you are looking for. Built by FlashPeak Inc, an Austin, Texas company,
it is a tabbed multiple-site web browser that offers practically
everything you need from a browser.

The company built the browser on the popular and fast Blink engine.
Despite the low specs of your old computer, the browser offers a shorter

Its impressive speed also extends to its in-built download manager. The
feature uses multiple parallel connections, allowing you to download
files up to 12x faster than the average rate. It also enables you to
pause and resume downloads between sessions without starting all over again.

Speaking of downloads, the browser also has an in-built YouTube video
downloader. You can download any YouTube video
<https://rigorousthemes.com/blog/best-videograbby-alternative/> to your
hard drive in any resolution or format and extract mp3 files from the
downloaded video file.

Other media-related features include an online video recorder and Photo
Salon. The former allows you to record any dynamic content on a web page
and save it on your local drive. The latter supports photo editing,
including filter effects and frames.

Beyond that, the Slimjet browser comes with its own adblocker. So you
don’t have to install a third-party extension for this specific purpose.
It also offers social media integration for Facebook
<https://rigorousthemes.com/blog/best-browsers-for-facebook/> – a nice
feature to use if you are bringing that old computer to life for use by
an older loved one.

These are on top of standard browser features like plugin and extension
store, language translation, auto form filler, and customizable toolbar.

*Check Out*: Brave vs DuckDuckGo
<https://rigorousthemes.com/blog/brave-vs-duckduckgo-which-has-better-privacy/>

*9. **Basilisk* <https://www.basilisk-browser.org/>

The Basilisk browser is another excellent alternative for your old
Windows computer. Developed by the same team behind Pale Moon, it is a
free and open-source XUL-based web browser. Unlike Pale Moon, which is
well into its development, Basilisk is still a project in development,
aka in beta mode.

Regardless, regular and advanced users can install it on their computers
as long as they don’t mind occasional crashes and defects. (For
something more stable, you can check any other option on this list.)

The developers built Basilisk using the Goanna engine and thus, bears a
close resemblance to Mozilla Firefox. The similarities are not just in
code only. They also share a similar interface, making it easy for
anyone new to the web browser to use.

Expectedly, it is a lightweight web browser with an installation file
size of 45MB. It is easy to install, and it is compatible with Windows
XP 64-bit OS. In other words, you should have no trouble installing it
on your low specs computer.

Basilisk has a wide array of features that got it a place on this list
despite its size. That includes a clear and understandable interface
that gives web pages extensive real estate on the browser’s UI. There is
also an add-on manager for extending the browser’s functionality with
extensions.

It also has several features that have been discontinued on newer
versions of Firefox. This includes the classic title bar and menu,
bookmarks toolbar with default homepage, and app menu.

On a more technical note, Basilisk offers support for advanced Graphite
font shaping, WebAssembly, XUL/Overlay Mozilla-style extensions, NPAPI
plugins, and JavaScript’s ECMAscript 6 standard.

*Also Read*: Brave Browser Review
<https://rigorousthemes.com/blog/brave-browser-review-details-pricing-features/>

*10. Mypal <https://www.mypal-browser.org/>*

Last but not least is Mypal, a Pale Moon derivative designed to run on
Windows XP computers. Its creator(s) developed it to be a reliable and
secure browser for the Windows OS. As a result, users receive regular
automatic updates just like browsers on newer Windows versions.

Like several options on this list, it is based on a fork of earlier
versions of Mozilla Firefox, specifically Firefox 52. The software is
available in 32-bit and 64-bit, expanding the number of supported devices.

It also requires little RAM and ROM commitment from users. The
installation file is 36MB, and it requires less than 300MB RAM space.
The browser achieves this by running exclusively in single-process mode.

Besides its technical specs, Mypal has qualities that make it a great
browser for Windows XP in 2021. Its default search engine is DuckDuckGo,
useful for filterless search. As part of its effort to make up for the
lack of security updates on XP, it is also possible to configure Mypal
to never remember history, like incognito mode.

The web browser also comes with anti-trackers and users receive alerts
when a website tries to install add-ons. Overall, Mypal offers five
security levels for users to choose from depending on their needs.

Furthermore, Mypal supports extensions from Pale Moon and legacy Firefox
extensions. You can install popular extensions like Ad-block plus and
NoScript on the browser to extend its capabilities. You can also
customize the interface by installing pre-made themes.

*Explore*: Vivaldi Browser Review
<https://rigorousthemes.com/blog/vivaldi-browser-review-details-pricing-features/>

Wrapping Up

The lack of official support for Windows XP from mainstream software
companies and a negligible user base means the operating system has
limited web browser options.

Of the available options, some are free and open-source, made by
developers with personal interests in keeping the OS alive. Others are
from corporate entities who are still providing for the OS.

However, of the options available, Opera 36 is the overall best. While
Opera Software no longer supports it, the version has enough features to
counter the dangers from the lack of updates. In-built tools like VPN
and an ad blocker ensure user privacy and that pages load faster.

Tom Clayton

Tom loves to write on technology, e-commerce & internet marketing.
Tom has been a full-time internet marketer for two decades now, earning
millions of dollars while living life on his own terms. Along the way,
he’s also coached thousands of other people to success.

Categories Blog <https://rigorousthemes.com/blog/category/blog/>,
Software/Tools <https://rigorousthemes.com/blog/category/software-tools/>
Post navigation

DataCamp vs Codecademy — Which Is Better?
<https://rigorousthemes.com/blog/datacamp-vs-codecademy-which-is-better/>
8 Best Browsers For Xbox One 2021
<https://rigorousthemes.com/blog/best-browsers-for-xbox-one/>

_Affiliate disclosure:_ As an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions
from qualifying purchases from Amazon.com. You can learn more about our
editorial policies here
<https://rigorousthemes.com/blog/blog-editorial-disclosure-policy/>.
This site is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates
Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means
for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to
amazon.com. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com,
Inc. or its affiliates.

Mr. Man-wai Chang

Dec 21, 2021, 11:16:06 AM12/21/21
On 12/15/2021 4:31 AM, m...@NotGmail.com wrote:
> I'm using Mypal ver. 29 with Win XP. I have Mypal set to be FFx
> compatible.
>
> When I load my FFx 52.9 bookmarks into Mypal, using the Mypal Organize
> Bookmark menu, I find that each time after Closing Mypal, the
> bookmarks have disappeared, and only the bookmarks that were installed
> one at a time with Mypal's Bookmark menu remain. In other words, all
> the bookmarks loaded from FFx have disappeared. I guess they weren't
> saved. How do I "save" them?

Were you talking about bookmarks.html? I don't use MyPal nor PaleMoon.

Zahid Awais

Jan 19, 2022, 3:37:29 AM1/19/22
i want to bookmark my this website (https://greenhatfiles.com/) how can i bookmark this

Nic

Jan 19, 2022, 4:57:17 PM1/19/22
On 12/14/21 3:55 PM, m...@NotGmail.com wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Dec 2021 15:37:19 -0500, Nic <N...@none.net> wrote:
>
>> On 12/14/21 3:31 PM, m...@NotGmail.com wrote:
>>> I'm using Mypal ver. 29 with Win XP. I have Mypal set to be FFx
>>> compatible.
>>>
>>> When I load my FFx 52.9 bookmarks into Mypal, using the Mypal Organize
>>> Bookmark menu, I find that each time after Closing Mypal, the
>>> bookmarks have disappeared, and only the bookmarks that were installed
>>> one at a time with Mypal's Bookmark menu remain. In other words, all
>>> the bookmarks loaded from FFx have disappeared. I guess they weren't
>>> saved. How do I "save" them?
>> A simple search reveals-
>>

>> 10 Best Browsers For Windows XP 2021
> Please ignore the a-wipe with his nonsense answer.
>
> I know there is a simple "Save" somewhere, but where?

https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/mypal.html

Mypal is based on *Pale Moon
<http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/pale_moon.html>* code and is
designed to be a secure and reliable Open Source Windows XP (including
newer Windows versions) web browser. Project has been abandoned. Please
look for something else.

The goal of Mypal is to provide a current, secure, and reliable web
browser for Windows XP. Mypal operates identically to Pale Moon with
some minor exceptions. Mypal uses DudkDuckGo for search. Also,
auto-updating is available by enabling it in the settings.

Mypal will be comfortable in Pale Moon users' hands, but the clean and
straightforward interface will be equally simple to use for users trying
out Mypal for the first time. This browser's main idea was to provide XP
users with a secure option for web browsing afforded to other Windows users.

Marble2

Jan 19, 2022, 7:01:55 PM1/19/22
Nic <N...@none.net> wrote in news:YO%FJ.10$mj...@fx02.iad:

> On 12/14/21 3:55 PM, m...@NotGmail.com wrote (in part):

> Mypal... Project has been abandoned. Please look for something
> else.

I usually steer XP users here to start looking for updated browsers:
https://retrobrowsers.com/windowsxp
Always check the date of the latest release, and check the support
links for bugs/ activity. A little homework saves a lot of headaches.