PC's have peaked

1 view

Bear Bottoms

Apr 14, 2011, 7:26:49 PM4/14/11
I've read several articles now about how PCs have peaked and are not
selling as much as previous months. Another indicator that things are
changing was pointed out by me a few posts back where I noticed that since
January, the number of new competitive freeware programs being presented
has also dropped off drastically.

Ipads, tablets and mobile phones are steering users and software developers
away from PC's. This trend appears to be increasing and indicators are this
will continue. I won't ever give up my PC.

--
Bear Bottoms
Owner http://bearware.info

Irwell

Apr 14, 2011, 7:48:56 PM4/14/11
On 14 Apr 2011 23:26:49 GMT, Bear Bottoms wrote:

> I've read several articles now about how PCs have peaked and are not
> selling as much as previous months. Another indicator that things are
> changing was pointed out by me a few posts back where I noticed that since
> January, the number of new competitive freeware programs being presented
> has also dropped off drastically.
>
> Ipads, tablets and mobile phones are steering users and software developers
> away from PC's. This trend appears to be increasing and indicators are this
> will continue. I won't ever give up my PC.

Will they have to pry it from your cold dead fingers.
Remember those NRA gun adverts, when the old farts are
senile a fivr year old can take their guns of them.

Pooh the Cat

Apr 14, 2011, 7:48:19 PM4/14/11
In article <Xns9EC7BBA548A61b...@130.225.254.104>, bearbo...@gmai.com says...

> I won't ever give up my PC.

I won't ever give up hope that you will.

--
Pooh the cat
Internet Terrorist, Mass Sock puppeteer, Agent provocateur, Gutter rat

Dan Goodman

Apr 14, 2011, 10:53:17 PM4/14/11
Irwell wrote:

"They'll take my suicide machine away when they pry it from my cold,
dead hands."

--
Dan Goodman
dsgood at lj, dw, ij, fb, tw__

Andy

Apr 14, 2011, 11:19:14 PM4/14/11

If he does give up his PC, I am buying drinks for everyone. :-)

surprise

Apr 15, 2011, 4:17:14 PM4/15/11

Argo

Apr 15, 2011, 5:02:52 PM4/15/11
In article <7a85f799-9d7f-42f7-b810-40f79357af84@
22g2000prx.googlegroups.com>, californ...@gmail.com says...

> On Apr 14, 4:26 pm, Bear Bottoms <bearbotto...@gmai.com> wrote:
> > I've read several articles now about how PCs have peaked and are not
> > selling as much as previous months. Another indicator that things are
> > changing was pointed out by me a few posts back where I noticed that since
> > January, the number of new competitive freeware programs being presented
> > has also dropped off drastically.
> >
> > Ipads, tablets and mobile phones are steering users and software developers
> > away from PC's. This trend appears to be increasing and indicators are this
> > will continue. I won't ever give up my PC.

> Does your source supply other information about less people
> purchasing new computers.
>
> 1) Does this mean that less computers are in use or are the
> computers just being used longer?
>
> 2) Is it easier to conceive and develop a piece of software,
> that is likely to be used, for something other than a PC.
>
> 3) You told us that this information is since January. Is it a
> continuing situation or has it just started?

Hate to chime in, but the pathetic state of the PC gaming industry (DRM,
internet activation, stealthy anti-piracy methods, online only
distributions) are probably having an effect as well. Don't deny it, a
good portion of the PC success is driven by pure entertainment. If it
isn't already, walking into a store to buy game software is becoming a
thing of the past.

Not much of an incentive to purchase a new PC for home use...

troppo

Apr 17, 2011, 5:40:00 AM4/17/11
Argo <no...@invalid.net> wrote in

Unless you want something like World of Warcraft ... needs something with
grunt ... treatment of WoW Addiction seems to have become a new industry -
maybe it's starting to pay off :-)
You can't run complex stuff like FEA, CAD etc on anything hand-held, but
even a 10-year old PC can crunch 1 million vectors in a few seconds.
I reckon it might have been Vista that put people off regular upgrading.
usage of XP is still 71.8% according to Computerworld.

Bob Villa

Apr 17, 2011, 8:37:11 AM4/17/11
On Apr 15, 4:02 pm, Argo <n...@invalid.net> wrote:

> Hate to chime in, but the pathetic state of the PC gaming industry (DRM,
> internet activation, stealthy anti-piracy methods, online only
> distributions) are probably having an effect as well. Don't deny it, a
> good portion of the PC success is driven by pure entertainment. If it
> isn't already, walking into a store to buy game software is becoming a
> thing of the past.
>
> Not much of an incentive to purchase a new PC for home use...

Also, many individuals are intimidated by a PC...and if something is
more comfortable for them...they will embrace it.
For me, I just bought a new PC. I'm old and need the stimulation.

Bear Bottoms

Apr 17, 2011, 9:29:30 AM4/17/11
Bob Villa <pheeh...@gmail.com> wrote in news:80a73b0f-7e3e-4f67-85d9-
37636f...@p16g2000vbo.googlegroups.com:

With 4G and the new smart phones and tablets, the cost of high speed
Internet connections crossing paths with 'everyone has a phone already',
well... PCs don't stand much of a chance for the future.

Just look at how programmers are bailing out of PC apps for mobile apps
coupled with cloud computing, online storage, etc., JC's fears are coming
to pass. It is/was inevitable.

Pooh the Cat

Apr 17, 2011, 9:56:16 AM4/17/11
In article <Xns9ECA565DD360be...@130.225.254.104>, bearbo...@gmai.com says...

> With 4G and the new smart phones and tablets, the cost of high speed
> Internet connections crossing paths with 'everyone has a phone already',
> well... PCs don't stand much of a chance for the future.

Yeah, I'm gonna be carrying around my dual screen 22" tablets with me everywhere.

> Just look at how programmers are bailing out of PC apps for mobile apps
> coupled with cloud computing, online storage, etc., JC's fears are coming
> to pass. It is/was inevitable.

You don't even know what 'it' is. Your pathetic third world comms needs might be
served by a smart phone, but some of us have real jobs. Go blog and tweet, your
chattering classes sheet elsewhere.

Bob Villa

Apr 17, 2011, 10:14:57 AM4/17/11
On Apr 17, 8:29 am, Bear Bottoms <bearbotto...@gmai.com> wrote:
> Bob Villa <pheeh.z...@gmail.com> wrote in news:80a73b0f-7e3e-4f67-85d9-

> With 4G and the new smart phones and tablets, the cost of high speed
> Internet connections crossing paths with 'everyone has a phone already',
> well... PCs don't stand much of a chance for the future.
>
> Just look at how programmers are bailing out of PC apps for mobile apps
> coupled with cloud computing, online storage, etc., JC's fears are coming
> to pass. It is/was inevitable.
>
> --
> Bear Bottoms
> Ownerhttp://bearware.info
> Defeat Forgers:

There will always be a market for PC's...look at the Altair's
popularity in the 70's (and it only had binary coded lights for a read-
out (display)!

Bear Bottoms

Apr 17, 2011, 10:43:24 AM4/17/11
Bob Villa <pheeh...@gmail.com> wrote in

Of course there will always be a market for PC's, and they will still keep
getting better and faster. However, the market has peaked and will dwindle.

Gordon Darling

Apr 17, 2011, 12:29:02 PM4/17/11
On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 14:43:24 +0000, Bear Bottoms wrote:

<snip>

> Of course there will always be a market for PC's, and they will still
> keep getting better and faster. However, the market has peaked and will
> dwindle.

You couldn't predict your way out of a paper bag.

<Canalys predicts 14% growth in PC market for 2011
http://www.canalys.com/pr/2011/r2011033.html>

and

"While the growth rate of the computer markets from the developed
countries is slowing down, the rate of adoption of new computer systems
in the emerging economies is fast growing."

That will mean lots more chinkware for you to hype.

--
ox·y·mo·ron
n. pl. ox·y·mo·ra or ox·y·mo·rons