I installed Adobe Reader 9 - WARNING! ADWARE AND BUNDLEWARE!

128 views
Skip to first unread message

John Corliss

unread,
Jul 3, 2008, 11:43:18 AM7/3/08
to
First the good:

It starts pretty fast on my system and doesn't seem to need that
readersl.exe process anymore.

A problem I was having in Adobe Reader 8.12, in that the "Check for
Updates..." menu item was missing, is no longer occurring in ver. 9.

Now the bad:

It's a HUGE download and, as usual, really rapes the registry, according
to Total Uninstall 2.35. The installation is AGONIZINGLY slow, almost as
slow, in fact, as installing an operating system. And when you're done,
it leaves an orphaned "Config.msi" folder on your hard drive.

The help file is no longer on your system, it's online.

Adobe Reader 9 comes bundled with two things, both of which are
installed whether or not you like it:

1. Acrobate.com (which gets a separate shortcut on the desktop).
"Acrobat.com is a set of online services — file sharing and storage,
PDF converter, online word processor, and web conferencing — you can use
to create and share documents, communicate in real time, and simplify
working with others."
But... but... I DIDN'T ASK FOR IT TO BE INSTALLED, YOU ADOBE ASSHOLES!

2. Adobe Air (12 mb according to http://get.adobe.com/air/?promoid=BUIGQ)
"The Adobe® AIR™ runtime lets developers use proven web technologies
to build rich Internet applications that deploy to the desktop and run
across operating systems" and "Adobe AIR offers an exciting new way to
engage customers with innovative, branded desktop applications, without
requiring changes to existing technology, people, or processes."
Just what we need, now Adobe has their own version of dotnet.

As can be expected, both continually call out to various servers and
since both are listed under Add or Remove Programs, I uninstalled them.
Of course, the debris that both left behind is insufferable.

According to the Reader 9 EULA, AR is now adware:
_______________________________________________________________________
6.1 Use of PDF Files. When you use the Software to open a PDF file that
has been enabled to display ads through registration with the Ads for
Adobe PDF service, your computer may connect to a website operated by
Adobe, an advertiser, or other third party. Your Internet Protocol (IP)
address is sent when this happens. The party hosting the site may use
technology to send (or "serve") advertising or other electronic content
that appears in or near the opened file. The website operator may also
use JavaScript, web beacons (also known as action tags or single-pixel
gifs), and other technologies to increase and measure the effectiveness
of advertisements and to personalize advertising content. Your
communication with Adobe websites is governed by the Adobe Online
Privacy Policy found at http://www.adobe.com/go/privacy. Adobe may not
have access to or control over features that a third party may use, and
the information practices of third party websites are not covered by the
Adobe Online Privacy Policy.
_______________________________________________________________________

The jerks make this EULA only available via a .pdf file which you can't
copy from. I had to type this whole portion in here manually!

Adobe needs to be spanked about this monstrosity the same way Microsoft
is eating it on Vista. If you agree with me, you can tell Adobe here:

http://www.adobe.com/bin/webfeedback.cgi

"God help us" indeed!

--
John Corliss BS206. I use nFilter to block all crossposts and all Google
Groups posts because of Googlespam. No ad, cd, commercial, cripple,
demo, dotnet, nag, share, spy, time-limited, trial or web wares OR warez
for me, please.

John Corliss

unread,
Jul 3, 2008, 11:49:14 AM7/3/08
to

And yes, I know now about Adobe Reader Lite 9.0:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Adobe_Reader_Lite_d5915.html

Yrrah

unread,
Jul 3, 2008, 12:06:08 PM7/3/08
to
John Corliss <jcor...@fake.invalid>:

> I installed Adobe Reader 9

Why do you bother with new versions of Adobe's PDF reader?
I use PDF XChange Viewer and occasionally Acrobat v. 5.0.1.

http://www.docu-track.com/home/prod_user/PDF-XChange_Tools/pdfx_viewer/

Yrrah

Bear Bottoms

unread,
Jul 3, 2008, 12:09:54 PM7/3/08
to
On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 10:43:18 -0500, John Corliss <jcor...@fake.invalid>
wrote:

> Adobe needs to be spanked about this monstrosity the same way Microsoft
> is eating it on Vista. If you agree with me, you can tell Adobe here:
> http://www.adobe.com/bin/webfeedback.cgi

A spanking feedback has been sent :)

I agree wholeheartedly.

--
Bear Bottoms
Freeware website: http://bearware.info

Message has been deleted

Bear Bottoms

unread,
Jul 3, 2008, 12:26:24 PM7/3/08
to

That is not the/his point. The point is to address the practice, not find
ways around it. The fact that the practice is instated creates the need to
find an alternative. Adobe needs that type of feedback.

Bear Bottoms

unread,
Jul 3, 2008, 12:30:11 PM7/3/08
to
On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 11:22:32 -0500, Jones <no...@noaddy.co.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 11:09:54 -0500, "Bear Bottoms"
> <bearbo...@gmai.com>


> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 10:43:18 -0500, John Corliss <jcor...@fake.invalid>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Adobe needs to be spanked about this monstrosity the same way Microsoft
>>> is eating it on Vista. If you agree with me, you can tell Adobe here:
>>> http://www.adobe.com/bin/webfeedback.cgi
>>
>> A spanking feedback has been sent :)
>>
>> I agree wholeheartedly.
>

> Maybe this is a stupid question, but what benefit is to be gained
> from using this new version? If you have formed the opinion from
> this post that I am NOT computer literate ten marks and go to
> the top of the class. I am at a loss as to why I should bother
> with this new version.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Jones.

That is not the/his point. The point is to address the practice. The fact

that the practice is instated creates the need to find an alternative.
Adobe needs that type of feedback.

If you are literate enough to be here, that is all that matter...we love
you :)

LouB

unread,
Jul 3, 2008, 1:20:17 PM7/3/08
to
Thanks for the warning. Is Lite worth getting or more crap?

Lou

Message has been deleted

Franklin

unread,
Jul 3, 2008, 1:51:39 PM7/3/08
to
On Thu 03 Jul 2008 16:43:18, John Corliss wrote:
>
> [snip]

>
> According to the Reader 9 EULA, AR is now adware:
> ______________________________________________________________
> 6.1 Use of PDF Files. When you use the Software to open a PDF
> file that has been enabled to display ads through registration
> with the Ads for Adobe PDF service, your computer may connect to a
> website operated by Adobe, an advertiser, or other third party.
> Your Internet Protocol (IP) address is sent when this happens. The
> party hosting the site may use technology to send (or "serve")
> advertising or other electronic content that appears in or near
> the opened file. The website operator may also use JavaScript, web
> beacons (also known as action tags or single-pixel gifs), and
> other technologies to increase and measure the effectiveness of
> advertisements and to personalize advertising content. Your
> communication with Adobe websites is governed by the Adobe Online
> Privacy Policy found at http://www.adobe.com/go/privacy. Adobe may
> not have access to or control over features that a third party may
> use, and the information practices of third party websites are not
> covered by the Adobe Online Privacy Policy.
> _____________________________________________________________ ____
>
> The jerks make this EULA only available via a .pdf file which you
> can't copy from. I had to type this whole portion in here
> manually!


John, PDF Unlocker should let you copy and paste from locked PDFs.

www.freewarefiles.com/Freeware-PDF-Unlocker-V_program_27137.html

Bear Bottoms

unread,
Jul 3, 2008, 1:54:22 PM7/3/08
to
On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 12:48:07 -0500, Jones <no...@noaddy.co.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 11:30:11 -0500, "Bear Bottoms"
> <bearbo...@gmai.com>
> wrote:
>
>> That is not the/his point
>
> Very interesting. But, my point is, what benefit is to be gained from
> using
> this new version?
>
> Jones.

If you can read PDF's without it...none I suppose. If you don't have
Adobe's PDF reader and want to get it from their site, a lot.

Message has been deleted

Bear Bottoms

unread,
Jul 3, 2008, 2:29:25 PM7/3/08
to
On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 13:16:42 -0500, Yrrah
<Yrrah_use...@themailbox.ca> wrote:

> Jones <no...@noaddy.co.uk>:


>
>> >That is not the/his point
>

>> But, my point is, what benefit is to be gained from using
>> this new version?
>
> Exactly.
>
> Yrrah

If you can read PDF's without it...none I suppose. If you don't have
Adobe's PDF reader and want to get it from their site, a lot.

--

VanguardLH

unread,
Jul 3, 2008, 2:51:39 PM7/3/08
to
Bear Bottoms wrote:

The feedback won't help if John is only posting it here. He needs to
bitch to Adobe but it'll be tough getting past the wants and goals of
their marketing and sales departments.

Bear Bottoms

unread,
Jul 3, 2008, 3:01:05 PM7/3/08
to

I took it as, he sent a compliant to them and enjoined others to do so as
well...which I did. I support his idea.

David H. Lipman

unread,
Jul 3, 2008, 3:06:04 PM7/3/08
to
From: "John Corliss" <jcor...@fake.invalid>

| First the good:

| Now the bad:

| http://www.adobe.com/bin/webfeedback.cgi

| "God help us" indeed!

The FTP server has the standard version which does not include the bundled extras.

ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/9.x/9.0/enu

~25MB -- AdbeRdr90_en_US_Std.exe

--
Dave
http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
Multi-AV - http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp


John Corliss

unread,
Jul 3, 2008, 4:23:39 PM7/3/08
to
LouB wrote:
> John Corliss wrote:
>>> (snip)

>>> "God help us" indeed!
>>
>> And yes, I know now about Adobe Reader Lite 9.0:
>>
>> http://www.majorgeeks.com/Adobe_Reader_Lite_d5915.html
>>
> Thanks for the warning. Is Lite worth getting or more crap?

Sorry, I couldn't tell you. I'm too exhausted from having to deal with
AR9 to try anything else.

John Corliss

unread,
Jul 3, 2008, 4:25:41 PM7/3/08
to
VanguardLH wrote:
> Bear Bottoms wrote:
>> Yrrah wrote:

>>> John Corliss wrote:
>>>>
>>>> I installed Adobe Reader 9
>>>
>>> Why do you bother with new versions of Adobe's PDF reader?
>>> I use PDF XChange Viewer and occasionally Acrobat v. 5.0.1.
>>>
>>> http://www.docu-track.com/home/prod_user/PDF-XChange_Tools/pdfx_viewer/
>>
>> That is not the/his point. The point is to address the practice, not find
>> ways around it. The fact that the practice is instated creates the need to
>> find an alternative. Adobe needs that type of feedback.
>
> The feedback won't help if John is only posting it here. He needs to
> bitch to Adobe but it'll be tough getting past the wants and goals of
> their marketing and sales departments.

I *did* bitch to Adobe using the link I provided at the end of the OP.
Believe me, it was a pretty harsh bitch too.

John Corliss

unread,
Jul 3, 2008, 4:26:15 PM7/3/08
to
Bear Bottoms wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 10:43:18 -0500, John Corliss <jcor...@fake.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> Adobe needs to be spanked about this monstrosity the same way
>> Microsoft is eating it on Vista. If you agree with me, you can tell
>> Adobe here:
>> http://www.adobe.com/bin/webfeedback.cgi
>
> A spanking feedback has been sent :)
>
> I agree wholeheartedly.

Thanks, Bear! 80)>

John Corliss

unread,
Jul 3, 2008, 4:28:39 PM7/3/08
to
Jones wrote:
> Bear Bottoms wrote:

>> John Corliss wrote:
>>>
>>> Adobe needs to be spanked about this monstrosity the same way Microsoft
>>> is eating it on Vista. If you agree with me, you can tell Adobe here:
>>> http://www.adobe.com/bin/webfeedback.cgi
>> A spanking feedback has been sent :)
>>
>> I agree wholeheartedly.
>
> Maybe this is a stupid question, but what benefit is to be gained
> from using this new version? If you have formed the opinion from
> this post that I am NOT computer literate ten marks and go to
> the top of the class. I am at a loss as to why I should bother
> with this new version.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Frankly, everybody is at a loss regarding any advantage to be gained by
going with the new version. I had hoped to see some compelling, new
features. I can only say that version 9 seems to load a whole lot faster
than previous versions, and it does it without needing a process running
in the background all the time.

John Corliss

unread,
Jul 3, 2008, 4:30:54 PM7/3/08
to

Thanks, Franklin. I was trying to remember that program.

>> Adobe needs to be spanked about this monstrosity the same way
>> Microsoft is eating it on Vista. If you agree with me, you can
>> tell Adobe here: http://www.adobe.com/bin/webfeedback.cgi
>> "God help us" indeed!

Damned fingers are cramping now. 80)>

Roger Hunt

unread,
Jul 3, 2008, 4:32:30 PM7/3/08
to
In article <op.udp4i...@bwwlxc1.br.no.cox.net>, Bear Bottoms
<bearbo...@gmai.com> writes

>On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 10:43:18 -0500, John Corliss <jcor...@fake.invalid>
>wrote:
>
>> Adobe needs to be spanked about this monstrosity the same way Microsoft
>> is eating it on Vista. If you agree with me, you can tell Adobe here:
>> http://www.adobe.com/bin/webfeedback.cgi
>
>A spanking feedback has been sent :)
>
I wouldn't dream of sending feedback unless and until I had downloaded,
installed and used the software, and experienced these irritations
myself, firsthand, on my system.
This is what you did isn't it?
--
Roger Hunt

John Corliss

unread,
Jul 3, 2008, 4:35:48 PM7/3/08
to
David H. Lipman wrote:
> John Corliss wrote:
>>
>> (snip)
>> Adobe Reader 9 comes bundled with two things, both of which are
>> installed whether or not you like it:
>>
>> 1. Acrobate.com (which gets a separate shortcut on the desktop).
>> "Acrobat.com is a set of online services — file sharing and storage,
>> PDF converter, online word processor, and web conferencing — you can use
>> to create and share documents, communicate in real time, and simplify
>> working with others."
>> But... but... I DIDN'T ASK FOR IT TO BE INSTALLED, YOU ADOBE ASSHOLES!
>>
>> 2. Adobe Air (12 mb according to http://get.adobe.com/air/?promoid=BUIGQ)
>> "The Adobe® AIR™ runtime lets developers use proven web technologies
>> to build rich Internet applications that deploy to the desktop and run
>> across operating systems" and "Adobe AIR offers an exciting new way to
>> engage customers with innovative, branded desktop applications, without
>> requiring changes to existing technology, people, or processes."
>> Just what we need, now Adobe has their own version of dotnet.
>> (snip

>
> The FTP server has the standard version which does not include the bundled extras.
>
> ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/9.x/9.0/enu
>
> ~25MB -- AdbeRdr90_en_US_Std.exe

Thanks! Downloaded. And it did so at a much faster rate than the web
download of the full version.

Not sure if I want to install it or not though.

Bear Bottoms

unread,
Jul 3, 2008, 4:48:20 PM7/3/08
to
On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 15:32:30 -0500, Roger Hunt <nos...@nospam.demon.co.uk>
wrote:

Why, you doubt John's words? You think he is lying? I watched a guy get
hit with a bullet once. I know it hurt, so please do not ask me to take
one just to prove it :)

David H. Lipman

unread,
Jul 3, 2008, 4:58:25 PM7/3/08
to
From: "John Corliss" <jcor...@fake.invalid>

| Thanks! Downloaded. And it did so at a much faster rate than the web
| download of the full version.

| Not sure if I want to install it or not though.

I find the FTP server tis the *better* way to obtain Adobe software, updates and/or
patches.

Roger Hunt

unread,
Jul 3, 2008, 5:25:37 PM7/3/08
to
In article <op.udqhe...@bwwlxc1.br.no.cox.net>, Bear Bottoms

<bearbo...@gmai.com> writes
>On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 15:32:30 -0500, Roger Hunt <nos...@nospam.demon.co.uk>
>wrote:
>
>> In article <op.udp4i...@bwwlxc1.br.no.cox.net>, Bear Bottoms
>> <bearbo...@gmai.com> writes
>>> On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 10:43:18 -0500, John Corliss <jcor...@fake.invalid>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>> Adobe needs to be spanked about this monstrosity the same way Microsoft
>>>> is eating it on Vista. If you agree with me, you can tell Adobe here:
>>>> http://www.adobe.com/bin/webfeedback.cgi
>>>
>>> A spanking feedback has been sent :)
>>>
>> I wouldn't dream of sending feedback unless and until I had downloaded,
>> installed and used the software, and experienced these irritations
>> myself, firsthand, on my system.
>> This is what you did isn't it?
>
>Why, you doubt John's words? You think he is lying? I watched a guy get
>hit with a bullet once. I know it hurt, so please do not ask me to take
>one just to prove it :)
>
No, I am not doubting John you silly boy, I am being sensible, and your
analogy is not realistic - this is freeware not warfare.

The purpose of feedback is to gather info about peoples personal
experiences, and it would not be useful to write - "he found your
product is crap, so I am writing to you to say so even though I have no
personal experience."
That's daft - I thought you researched freeware but in no way could that
be described as "freeware research".

(A better approach would be to say that due to others' reported horrible
experiences, you will not even bother downloading it.)

Anyhow ... have you tried it for yourself?
--
Roger Hunt

Bear Bottoms

unread,
Jul 3, 2008, 5:35:14 PM7/3/08
to
On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 16:25:37 -0500, Roger Hunt <nos...@nospam.demon.co.uk>
wrote:

You don't get it. I know what it does from John's relation of his
experience. Therefore I experienced it by proxy and can make the same
claim, without going through the motions (getting shot.) Are you proposing
that if I download it, I will experience something different than John
experienced? Get real Rog. If you research say local murders, you don't
have to die ;)

Bear Bottoms

unread,
Jul 3, 2008, 5:36:37 PM7/3/08
to
On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 15:58:25 -0500, David H. Lipman
<DLipman~nospam~@verizon.net> wrote:

> From: "John Corliss" <jcor...@fake.invalid>
>
>
>
> | Thanks! Downloaded. And it did so at a much faster rate than the web
> | download of the full version.
>
> | Not sure if I want to install it or not though.
>
> I find the FTP server tis the *better* way to obtain Adobe software,
> updates and/or
> patches.
>

Twas a good link David. In this case, for sure it's better...less is
better '<

Roger Hunt

unread,
Jul 3, 2008, 5:53:35 PM7/3/08
to
In article <op.udqjk...@bwwlxc1.br.no.cox.net>, Bear Bottoms
<bearbo...@gmai.com> writes

>On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 16:25:37 -0500, Roger Hunt <nos...@nospam.demon.co.uk>
>wrote:
>>
>> Anyhow ... have you tried it for yourself?
>
>You don't get it. I know what it does from John's relation of his
>experience. Therefore I experienced it by proxy and can make the same
>claim, without going through the motions (getting shot.)

You are not entitled to send feedback about something you have not tried
for yourself.


>Are you proposing
>that if I download it, I will experience something different than John
>experienced?

I don't know - only you can find that out for yourself.


>Get real Rog. If you research say local murders, you don't
>have to die ;)
>

Oh come on - historical and/or criminal research is something completely
different.
--
Roger Hunt

Bear Bottoms

unread,
Jul 3, 2008, 6:30:33 PM7/3/08
to
On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 16:53:35 -0500, Roger Hunt <nos...@nospam.demon.co.uk>
wrote:

> In article <op.udqjk...@bwwlxc1.br.no.cox.net>, Bear Bottoms
> <bearbo...@gmai.com> writes
>> On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 16:25:37 -0500, Roger Hunt
>> <nos...@nospam.demon.co.uk>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Anyhow ... have you tried it for yourself?
>>
>> You don't get it. I know what it does from John's relation of his
>> experience. Therefore I experienced it by proxy and can make the same
>> claim, without going through the motions (getting shot.)
>
> You are not entitled to send feedback about something you have not tried
> for yourself.

We disagree.

Message has been deleted

John Corliss

unread,
Jul 3, 2008, 6:47:27 PM7/3/08
to

On this page:

http://www.adobe.com/products/reader/reasons_to_upgrade/

is the following:

"Acrobat.com (beta)
Included with Adobe Reader 9 is Acrobat.com (beta), an exciting new set
of online services from Adobe. With Acrobat.com, you can create PDF
files online; create and coauthor documents with others; host live web
meetings; upload and share PDF files and other types of documents and
control who has access to them; and even embed a rich, interactive
preview of your document in a web page. All of these services and more
are provided online, so you can access them from anywhere. And you'll
find easy access points from within Reader 9. As an added convenience,
Acrobat.com leverages Adobe AIR™, so you can interact with Acrobat.com
from your desktop. Acrobat.com on Adobe AIR is a small application that
is included with your download of Adobe Reader 9. Available in select
languages."

(Not sure what they mean by "leverages Adobe AIR™", but I can tell you
that it also gets installed without your asking for it.)

This is a pretty obscure location for them to be telling the public that
AR9 is bundleware, but there it is and it backs up what I was saying. If
you want, I can provide a link for the EULA as well:

http://www.adobe.com/products/eulas/

or more specifically:


http://www.adobe.com/products/eulas/pdfs/Reader_Player_AIR_WWEULA-Combined-20080204_1313.pdf

Message has been deleted

Roger Hunt

unread,
Jul 4, 2008, 1:45:30 AM7/4/08
to
In article <op.udql4...@bwwlxc1.br.no.cox.net>, Bear Bottoms

<bearbo...@gmai.com> writes
>On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 16:53:35 -0500, Roger Hunt <nos...@nospam.demon.co.uk>
>wrote:
>> In article <op.udqjk...@bwwlxc1.br.no.cox.net>, Bear Bottoms
>> <bearbo...@gmai.com> writes
>>> On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 16:25:37 -0500, Roger Hunt
>>> <nos...@nospam.demon.co.uk>
>>> wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Anyhow ... have you tried it for yourself?
>>>
>>> You don't get it. I know what it does from John's relation of his
>>> experience. Therefore I experienced it by proxy and can make the same
>>> claim, without going through the motions (getting shot.)
>>
>> You are not entitled to send feedback about something you have not tried
>> for yourself.
>
>We disagree.
>
No we don't. You do, I don't.
--
Roger Hunt

REM

unread,
Jul 4, 2008, 7:22:12 AM7/4/08
to

> John Corliss <jcor...@fake.invalid> wrote:

>According to the Reader 9 EULA, AR is now adware:

<handtyped adware stuff clipped>

I just installed v9 yesterday on a machine at work. I saw the extra
crap, but I didn't read the EULA and I haven't opened anything. Ads
just aren't going to work in a business environment. I suppose they'll
want to sell business versions of the reader now... :(

Hopefully they will get a real spanking, though! I think that we have
a v8 archived, so I'll be installing that one from here on out. But,
there were problems when V8 came out in that it didn't work with V7
files. I hope that's not the case here.

I've disliked .pdf files from the first time I saw one. They look like
they're here to stay, unless open source provides us all a better
product!


4N

unread,
Jul 4, 2008, 7:40:14 AM7/4/08
to
> I've disliked .pdf files from the first time I saw one. They look like
> they're here to stay, unless open source provides us all a better
> product!

Actually an attempt was done before with djvu format.
It's a great format but it didn't spread a lot plus it doesn't support 3D
objects that have been introduced in pdf files with version 8 of reader...


REM

unread,
Jul 4, 2008, 7:39:44 AM7/4/08
to

> "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>The FTP server has the standard version which does not include the bundled extras.

>ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/9.x/9.0/enu

>~25MB -- AdbeRdr90_en_US_Std.exe

Is it adware? It will be Monday before I have a fast connection again.


Roger Hunt

unread,
Jul 4, 2008, 8:09:41 AM7/4/08
to
In article <op.udqjn...@bwwlxc1.br.no.cox.net>, Bear Bottoms
<bearbo...@gmai.com> writes
(snip)

>less is
>better '<
>
It would be good to see the release of BB Lite, which would be
limitedware, to 50 posts/month or so.
--
Roger Hunt

LouB

unread,
Jul 4, 2008, 8:15:08 AM7/4/08
to

IF I were to send feedback without trying it I would simply say "There
are reports from very competent users that the version 9 is a disaster
as well as now being adware"

Lou

Bear Bottoms

unread,
Jul 4, 2008, 8:57:27 AM7/4/08
to
On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 00:45:30 -0500, Roger Hunt <nos...@nospam.demon.co.uk>
wrote:

> In article <op.udql4...@bwwlxc1.br.no.cox.net>, Bear Bottoms
> <bearbo...@gmai.com> writes
>> On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 16:53:35 -0500, Roger Hunt
>> <nos...@nospam.demon.co.uk>
>> wrote:
>>> In article <op.udqjk...@bwwlxc1.br.no.cox.net>, Bear Bottoms
>>> <bearbo...@gmai.com> writes
>>>> On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 16:25:37 -0500, Roger Hunt
>>>> <nos...@nospam.demon.co.uk>
>>>> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> Anyhow ... have you tried it for yourself?
>>>>
>>>> You don't get it. I know what it does from John's relation of his
>>>> experience. Therefore I experienced it by proxy and can make the same
>>>> claim, without going through the motions (getting shot.)
>>>
>>> You are not entitled to send feedback about something you have not
>>> tried
>>> for yourself.
>>
>> We disagree.
>>
> No we don't. You do, I don't.

LOL

Bear Bottoms

unread,
Jul 4, 2008, 9:34:53 AM7/4/08
to
On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 07:09:41 -0500, Roger Hunt <nos...@nospam.demon.co.uk>
wrote:

> In article <op.udqjn...@bwwlxc1.br.no.cox.net>, Bear Bottoms

I'm not sure why you are becoming a troll, but I will leave you to it.

Roger Hunt

unread,
Jul 4, 2008, 9:51:44 AM7/4/08
to
In article <op.udrr0...@bwwlxc1.br.no.cox.net>, Bear Bottoms

<bearbo...@gmai.com> writes
>On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 07:09:41 -0500, Roger Hunt <nos...@nospam.demon.co.uk>
>wrote:
>
>> In article <op.udqjn...@bwwlxc1.br.no.cox.net>, Bear Bottoms
>> <bearbo...@gmai.com> writes
>> (snip)
>>
>>> less is
>>> better '<
>>>
>> It would be good to see the release of BB Lite, which would be
>> limitedware, to 50 posts/month or so.
>
>I'm not sure why you are becoming a troll, but I will leave you to it.
>
It's just that sometimes I despair of your behaviour, (and sometimes
I just fancy an argument).
--
Roger Hunt

Bear Bottoms

unread,
Jul 4, 2008, 10:07:56 AM7/4/08
to
On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 08:51:44 -0500, Roger Hunt <nos...@nospam.demon.co.uk>
wrote:

> In article <op.udrr0...@bwwlxc1.br.no.cox.net>, Bear Bottoms
> <bearbo...@gmai.com> writes
>> On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 07:09:41 -0500, Roger Hunt
>> <nos...@nospam.demon.co.uk>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> In article <op.udqjn...@bwwlxc1.br.no.cox.net>, Bear Bottoms
>>> <bearbo...@gmai.com> writes
>>> (snip)
>>>
>>>> less is
>>>> better '<
>>>>
>>> It would be good to see the release of BB Lite, which would be
>>> limitedware, to 50 posts/month or so.
>>
>> I'm not sure why you are becoming a troll, but I will leave you to it.
>>
> It's just that sometimes I despair of your behaviour, (and sometimes
> I just fancy an argument).

So you become a troll. Whatever.

John Corliss

unread,
Jul 4, 2008, 10:43:29 AM7/4/08
to

Maybe even before djvu, Corel tried with the Envoy format. However, it
was a closed format I'm pretty sure.

Message has been deleted

John Corliss

unread,
Jul 4, 2008, 11:16:16 AM7/4/08
to

Rem, I couldn't tell you. I installed and am now running Adobe Reader 9
Standard (the above download) and have no problems. In fact, it starts
MUCH faster than version 8. I guess the thing to worry about is when, if
ever, one downloads and tries to read a .pdf file that has "been enabled
to display ads through registration with the Ads for Adobe PDF service..."

Sounds to me like something that could be exploited by malware authors too.

I will say that the privacy provision of the program's EULA is the same
(as I posted it), standard version or bundleware version. Also, after
reviewing version 8's EULA I note that the privacy portion is new in
version 9, i.e. isn't present in version 8's EULA.

So... is Adobe Reader now adware or isn't it? All I know is that the
first time I see one third party advertisement in a .pdf file, off of my
system version 9 goes.

Read your EULAs folks! At least scan them I alway focus on at least the
privacy portions.

Roger Hunt

unread,
Jul 4, 2008, 11:12:25 AM7/4/08
to
In article <op.udrtj...@bwwlxc1.br.no.cox.net>, Bear Bottoms

<bearbo...@gmai.com> writes
>On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 08:51:44 -0500, Roger Hunt <nos...@nospam.demon.co.uk>
>wrote:
>> In article <op.udrr0...@bwwlxc1.br.no.cox.net>, Bear Bottoms
>> <bearbo...@gmai.com> writes
>>> On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 07:09:41 -0500, Roger Hunt
>>> <nos...@nospam.demon.co.uk>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>> In article <op.udqjn...@bwwlxc1.br.no.cox.net>, Bear Bottoms
>>>> <bearbo...@gmai.com> writes
>>>> (snip)
>>>>
>>>>> less is
>>>>> better '<
>>>>>
>>>> It would be good to see the release of BB Lite, which would be
>>>> limitedware, to 50 posts/month or so.
>>>
>>> I'm not sure why you are becoming a troll, but I will leave you to it.
>>>
>> It's just that sometimes I despair of your behaviour, (and sometimes
>> I just fancy an argument).
>
>So you become a troll. Whatever.
>
Yebbut everything I write is justified - it's only your embarrassment
that is causing this overuse of the word troll.

Hey-ho - time to put the kettle on, and open this large punnet
of strawberries that is crooning to me seductively.
--
Roger Hunt

hummingbird

unread,
Jul 4, 2008, 11:48:08 AM7/4/08
to

On Fri, 4 Jul 2008 16:12:25 +0100 'Roger Hunt'
wrote this on alt.comp.freeware:

Good God! Are you still able to buy strawbs ... I thought
Wimbledon has bought the whole national supply ;-)


--
"All truth passes through three stages.
First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed,
and third, it is accepted as self-evident"
(Arthur Schopenhauer)

Roger Hunt

unread,
Jul 4, 2008, 12:03:42 PM7/4/08
to
In article <g4lk8...@localhost.127.0.0.1>, hummingbird
<hummi...@127.0.0.1> writes

>On Fri, 4 Jul 2008 16:12:25 +0100 'Roger Hunt'
>wrote this on alt.comp.freeware:
>>
>>Hey-ho - time to put the kettle on, and open this large punnet
>>of strawberries that is crooning to me seductively.
>
>Good God! Are you still able to buy strawbs ... I thought
>Wimbledon has bought the whole national supply ;-)
>
Local farmers market. (Local strawberries for local people.)
Ultra-fresh and very cheap. Unblemished and (choff chew)
very very (munch) tasty.

(I find the tennis boring, quite honestly. Even the collection of nubile
girlie players doesn't motivate me to watch.)
--
Roger Hunt

Barely Franklin

unread,
Jul 4, 2008, 12:30:26 PM7/4/08
to
On Fri 04 Jul 2008 16:12:25, Roger Hunt wrote:
>
> Yebbut everything I write is justified - it's only your
> embarrassment that is causing this overuse of the word troll.
>
> Hey-ho - time to put the kettle on, and open this large punnet of
> strawberries that is crooning to me seductively.


Roger,

Any fool (such as Mr Bottoms) can see that the needlessly
provocative and extraordinarily harmful statement you have just made
about strawberries constitute trolling of the very worst kind.

In fact, I was on the notorious Bearware web site recently and
downloaded an extremely flashy looking application (still in alpha
testing) which has been written to automate the detection of harmful
troll postings.

I've already sent an email to them saying how really awesome the
application looks although I haven't actually run it just yet.
Maybe they will quote me on their website and the Bearware site will
get a bit more advertising. Let's see what they say!

Anyway I gave it to my wife last night and she ran it using the
message about strawberries you just posted and it came up with

"0x077311AE module failure detected in TROLL.EXE"

Of course I took this to mean that trolling with a whopping high
value of 0x077311AE had been found in your message and furthermore
that your trolling had failed to get past the detection module in
the application TROLL.EXE. What an awesome application!

The message was very brightly colored, music played and there were
lots of special effects. All of that proved beyond any doubt that
the application worked perfectly. After a few seconds the
application very cleverly switched my wife's PC to a blue screen
with some words on it and then just as cleverly the app locked my
keyboard (presumably so your trolling wouldn't get to cause any
further damage).

All she had to do was simply switch off the power to the PC and then
restart it. Windows wouldn't load entirely correctly and she saw
some strange windows marked Telnet with snippets of text from
confidential emails my wife had written to me earlier in the year.
I presume all this was due to damage to my wife's system caused by
your serious trolling to the system just as the application detected
it. So I took my wife's PC and reformatted the hard drive and
reloaded Windows and reinstalled all her other apps and reset the
custom options. Voila, all is ok and it took a mere sixteen hours.

So there you have it: yet another tried and tested awesome
application successfully gets the Bearware quality symbol.

Thusly I can say you are a troll with 100% Bearware certainty. (The
small print says this is equivalent to a probability of 10^-15 and
that looks good enough for me.)

So much for anyone who says Bearware apps aren't tested. This sort
of thorough lab test is typical of how all the Bearware app are
checked.

LOL.


Franklin

Roger Hunt

unread,
Jul 4, 2008, 12:42:22 PM7/4/08
to
In article <Xns9AD1B21...@127.0.0.1>, Barely Franklin
<nev...@sted.it> writes
LOL^3
(Nearly chokes on strawberry)
Wonderful stuff! Thank you!
--
Roger Hunt

hummingbird

unread,
Jul 4, 2008, 1:09:35 PM7/4/08
to

On Fri, 4 Jul 2008 17:03:42 +0100 'Roger Hunt'
wrote this on alt.comp.freeware:

>In article <g4lk8...@localhost.127.0.0.1>, hummingbird
><hummi...@127.0.0.1> writes
>>On Fri, 4 Jul 2008 16:12:25 +0100 'Roger Hunt'
>>wrote this on alt.comp.freeware:
>>>
>>>Hey-ho - time to put the kettle on, and open this large punnet
>>>of strawberries that is crooning to me seductively.
>>
>>Good God! Are you still able to buy strawbs ... I thought
>>Wimbledon has bought the whole national supply ;-)


>Local farmers market. (Local strawberries for local people.)

Aargh! discrimination against non-local strawb-lovers!
This is totally unacceptable!

[thinks: where's Harriet Har-har-har-man when you need her]

>Ultra-fresh and very cheap. Unblemished and (choff chew)
>very very (munch) tasty.

...just stop it, you're making me jealous.

>(I find the tennis boring, quite honestly. Even the collection of nubile
>girlie players doesn't motivate me to watch.)

Nobody watches the women playing ... according to Henman!

I'm hoping to watch Nadal and Federer if they get there...

Roger Hunt

unread,
Jul 4, 2008, 1:22:25 PM7/4/08
to
In article <g4lp0...@localhost.127.0.0.1>, hummingbird
<hummi...@127.0.0.1> writes

>On Fri, 4 Jul 2008 17:03:42 +0100 'Roger Hunt'
>wrote this on alt.comp.freeware:
>
>>(I find the tennis boring, quite honestly. Even the collection of nubile
>>girlie players doesn't motivate me to watch.)
>
>Nobody watches the women playing ... according to Henman!
>
And I suppose Henman is outraged that Henman Hill was renamed after that
other Brit whose name escapes me, the one who was knocked out I think.

>I'm hoping to watch Nadal and Federer if they get there...
>
Who are they?
--
Roger Hunt

hummingbird

unread,
Jul 4, 2008, 1:53:26 PM7/4/08
to

On Fri, 4 Jul 2008 18:22:25 +0100 'Roger Hunt'
wrote this on alt.comp.freeware:

>In article <g4lp0...@localhost.127.0.0.1>, hummingbird
><hummi...@127.0.0.1> writes
>>On Fri, 4 Jul 2008 17:03:42 +0100 'Roger Hunt'
>>wrote this on alt.comp.freeware:
>>
>>>(I find the tennis boring, quite honestly. Even the collection of nubile
>>>girlie players doesn't motivate me to watch.)
>>
>>Nobody watches the women playing ... according to Henman!


>And I suppose Henman is outraged that Henman Hill was renamed after that
>other Brit whose name escapes me, the one who was knocked out I think.

Andy Murray. He's Scotch not British.

>>I'm hoping to watch Nadal and Federer if they get there...
>>
>Who are they?

Duh! you're behind the curve man.........

Nadal = Spanish left handed.
Federer = Swiss + World No.1

Roger Hunt

unread,
Jul 4, 2008, 2:01:45 PM7/4/08
to
In article <g4lrj6...@localhost.127.0.0.1>, hummingbird

<hummi...@127.0.0.1> writes
>On Fri, 4 Jul 2008 18:22:25 +0100 'Roger Hunt'
>wrote this on alt.comp.freeware:
>>In article <g4lp0...@localhost.127.0.0.1>, hummingbird
>><hummi...@127.0.0.1> writes
>>>On Fri, 4 Jul 2008 17:03:42 +0100 'Roger Hunt'
>>>wrote this on alt.comp.freeware:
>>>
>>>>(I find the tennis boring, quite honestly. Even the collection of nubile
>>>>girlie players doesn't motivate me to watch.)
>>>
>>>Nobody watches the women playing ... according to Henman!
>
>>And I suppose Henman is outraged that Henman Hill was renamed after that
>>other Brit whose name escapes me, the one who was knocked out I think.
>
>Andy Murray. He's Scotch not British.
>
Ooops - apologies. Does he wear a klit while he's playing?

>>>I'm hoping to watch Nadal and Federer if they get there...
>>>
>>Who are they?
>
>Duh! you're behind the curve man.........
>
> Nadal = Spanish left handed.
> Federer = Swiss + World No.1
>
Thank you. My ignorance in these matters is not contrived.
--
Roger Hunt

hummingbird

unread,
Jul 4, 2008, 3:34:53 PM7/4/08
to

On Fri, 4 Jul 2008 19:01:45 +0100 'Roger Hunt'
wrote this on alt.comp.freeware:

>In article <g4lrj6...@localhost.127.0.0.1>, hummingbird
><hummi...@127.0.0.1> writes
>>On Fri, 4 Jul 2008 18:22:25 +0100 'Roger Hunt'
>>wrote this on alt.comp.freeware:
>>>In article <g4lp0...@localhost.127.0.0.1>, hummingbird
>>><hummi...@127.0.0.1> writes
>>>>On Fri, 4 Jul 2008 17:03:42 +0100 'Roger Hunt'
>>>>wrote this on alt.comp.freeware:
>>>>
>>>>>(I find the tennis boring, quite honestly. Even the collection of nubile
>>>>>girlie players doesn't motivate me to watch.)
>>>>
>>>>Nobody watches the women playing ... according to Henman!
>>
>>>And I suppose Henman is outraged that Henman Hill was renamed after that
>>>other Brit whose name escapes me, the one who was knocked out I think.
>>
>>Andy Murray. He's Scotch not British.
>>
>Ooops - apologies. Does he wear a klit while he's playing?

Nope, sorry you'll be disappointed.


>>>>I'm hoping to watch Nadal and Federer if they get there...
>>>>
>>>Who are they?
>>
>>Duh! you're behind the curve man.........
>>
>> Nadal = Spanish left handed.
>> Federer = Swiss + World No.1


>Thank you. My ignorance in these matters is not contrived.

In fact, they ARE now the finalists! A game to watch live.

Fred

unread,
Jul 4, 2008, 3:56:09 PM7/4/08
to
On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 17:30:26 +0100, Barely Franklin <nev...@sted.it>
wrote:

>On Fri 04 Jul 2008 16:12:25, Roger Hunt wrote:
>>
>> Yebbut everything I write is justified - it's only your
>> embarrassment that is causing this overuse of the word troll.
>>
>> Hey-ho - time to put the kettle on, and open this large punnet of
>> strawberries that is crooning to me seductively.
>
>

Snipped ..

Houden jullie toch eens op met dat gesodemieter!

This is rude Dutch, it means something like "please quit".

Fred

Message has been deleted

John Corliss

unread,
Jul 5, 2008, 9:30:33 AM7/5/08
to
be...@mail.invalid wrote:
> On Thu 03 Jul 2008 16:49:14, John Corliss wrote:
>> And yes, I know now about Adobe Reader Lite 9.0:
>> http://www.majorgeeks.com/Adobe_Reader_Lite_d5915.html
>>
>
> i just installed this. seems ok.
> seems bit faster than adobe reader 8.
> didnt find the adobe.com file you? mentioned.

What version does the "About" menu item give you (just out of curiosity)?

David H. Lipman

unread,
Jul 5, 2008, 10:28:18 PM7/5/08
to
From: "John Corliss" <jcor...@fake.invalid>

< snip >

| The jerks make this EULA only available via a .pdf file which you can't
| copy from. I had to type this whole portion in here manually!

< snip >

Nope.
"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Eula.exe"

I was able to Copy from the displayed text w/ease.

--
Dave
http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
Multi-AV - http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp


John Corliss

unread,
Jul 7, 2008, 8:41:05 AM7/7/08
to
David H. Lipman wrote:
> From: "John Corliss" <jcor...@fake.invalid>
>
> < snip >
>
> | The jerks make this EULA only available via a .pdf file which you can't
> | copy from. I had to type this whole portion in here manually!
>
> < snip >
>
> Nope.
> "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Eula.exe"
>
> I was able to Copy from the displayed text w/ease.

I was referring to what's available *before* you install the program and
at that point, I'd removed the program from my system. I've since
installed the standard version.

Thanks though.

David H. Lipman

unread,
Jul 7, 2008, 5:01:19 PM7/7/08
to
From: "John Corliss" <jcor...@fake.invalid>


>> Nope.
>> "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Eula.exe"

>> I was able to Copy from the displayed text w/ease.

| I was referring to what's available *before* you install the program and
| at that point, I'd removed the program from my system. I've since
| installed the standard version.

| Thanks though.

Capice!

John Corliss

unread,
Jul 7, 2008, 5:32:09 PM7/7/08
to
David H. Lipman wrote:
> From: "John Corliss" <jcor...@fake.invalid>
>
>
>>> Nope.
>>> "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Eula.exe"
>
>>> I was able to Copy from the displayed text w/ease.
>
> | I was referring to what's available *before* you install the program and
> | at that point, I'd removed the program from my system. I've since
> | installed the standard version.
>
> | Thanks though.
>
> Capice!

Heh. I just opened a .pdf file a friend sent me and Adobe Reader popped
up a window asking me to participate in allowing them to monitor my
useage (anonymously supposedly) of the reader. I declined of course.

Roger Hunt

unread,
Jul 7, 2008, 5:39:09 PM7/7/08
to
In article <iN6dnf8MO47GFu_V...@posted.ccountrynet>, John
Corliss <jcor...@fake.invalid> writes

>David H. Lipman wrote:
>> From: "John Corliss" <jcor...@fake.invalid>
>>
>>>> Nope.
>>>> "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Eula.exe"
>>
>>>> I was able to Copy from the displayed text w/ease.
>>
>> | I was referring to what's available *before* you install the program and
>> | at that point, I'd removed the program from my system. I've since
>> | installed the standard version.
>>
>> | Thanks though.
>>
>> Capice!
>
>Heh. I just opened a .pdf file a friend sent me and Adobe Reader popped
>up a window asking me to participate in allowing them to monitor my
>useage (anonymously supposedly) of the reader. I declined of course.
>
v10 will probably ask for your car registration and bank details.
--
Roger Hunt

David H. Lipman

unread,
Jul 7, 2008, 5:52:23 PM7/7/08
to
From: "John Corliss" <jcor...@fake.invalid>

| Heh. I just opened a .pdf file a friend sent me and Adobe Reader popped
| up a window asking me to participate in allowing them to monitor my
| useage (anonymously supposedly) of the reader. I declined of course.

| --
| John Corliss BS206. I use nFilter to block all crossposts and all Google
| Groups posts because of Googlespam. No ad, cd, commercial, cripple,
| demo, dotnet, nag, share, spy, time-limited, trial or web wares OR warez
| for me, please.

Not a good thing but at least you can Opt-Out !

John Corliss

unread,
Jul 7, 2008, 5:58:41 PM7/7/08
to
David H. Lipman wrote:
> From: "John Corliss" <jcor...@fake.invalid>
>
> | Heh. I just opened a .pdf file a friend sent me and Adobe Reader popped
> | up a window asking me to participate in allowing them to monitor my
> | useage (anonymously supposedly) of the reader. I declined of course.
>
> | --
> | John Corliss BS206. I use nFilter to block all crossposts and all Google
> | Groups posts because of Googlespam. No ad, cd, commercial, cripple,
> | demo, dotnet, nag, share, spy, time-limited, trial or web wares OR warez
> | for me, please.
>
> Not a good thing but at least you can Opt-Out !

That's what I was thinking too.

David H. Lipman

unread,
Jul 7, 2008, 7:11:58 PM7/7/08