Re: Changing Default Browser

Mike Easter

May 23, 2022, 5:52:30 PM5/23/22
th...@NoPlace.com wrote:
> How does one change the default browser from Firefox to another?

Your headers say Forte Agent 1.93, released about 20 y ago, which is
often used by a variety of OSes.

So... you should state your OS to help determine a 'workable' browser
and how to set the default.

--
Mike Easter

May 23, 2022, 6:35:06 PM5/23/22
On Mon, 23 May 2022 16:34:09 -0500, th...@NoPlace.com wrote:
>How does one change the default browser from Firefox to another?

The portable install of Pale Moon version 26.4.6 is still working fine
on my old Win7 PC . . . as is Omnimix 2.6.5. I'm testing a new Win 10
box and so far these portable wares are also working surprisingly fine.
I will say debloating/decraping Win 10 has been the greater challenge.
Newer versions of Pale Moon have been problematic with off-line usage.
DuckDuckGo is default search. Thunderbird has also proven quite useful
for user-friendly setup and interaction with isp/email network servers.

David Brooks

May 23, 2022, 6:48:27 PM5/23/22
On 23/05/2022 22:34, th...@NoPlace.com wrote:
> How does one change the default browser from Firefox to another?

If you install THIS browser, it will /ask/ you if you would like to
change - to make it the default!

https://brave.com/

I really like it. :-D

Jim S

May 23, 2022, 6:52:16 PM5/23/22
In article <9bvn8hh57fc1la2fh...@4ax.com>,
th...@NoPlace.com says...

> How does one change the default browser from Firefox to another?

Open control panel.
Select default programs and take your pick.
Of course you must have the browser of choice installed on your pc.

--
Jim S

Mike Easter

May 23, 2022, 7:46:28 PM5/23/22
me...@frisco.org wrote:
> I don't need anymore sermons on the 'necessity' of updating from XP
> and Firefox 52.9.0 (non esr).

Personally, if I were using hardware from the XP years, my OS of choice
would be a linux and my browser would be modern/current.

I have an old 2G desktop XP which runs linux just fine, and an even
older 1G XP laptop which also does.

It doesn't necessarily cost anything to get into the 21st century.

--
Mike Easter

wasbit

May 24, 2022, 4:37:55 AM5/24/22
<th...@NoPlace.com> wrote in message
> How does one change the default browser from Firefox to another?

Instructions for Windows XP

Click on the Windows Start Button and select Control Panel.
Double-click on Add or Remove Programs.
When the Add or Remove Programs list appears, click on the Set Programs
Access and Defaults option on the left hand navigation bar.
Select the Custom option and click on the arrows pointing down to expand
the Custom entry.
The web browsers that you have installed on your computer should be
listed here. Place a checkmark next to web browser that you wish to become
the default browser in Windows.
Press the OK button.
Exit the Control Panel.

Regards
wasbit

Nic

May 24, 2022, 6:35:49 AM5/24/22
th...@NoPlace.com wrote:
> Cost is not the problem. The main problem is the damn commercials
> before and during watching music vids.
Have a look at https://adblockultimate.net/
AdBlocker Ultimate
AND ALL ANNOYING ADS ARE OUT!

Take control over your digital space and leave all ads, malicious websites
and online
trackers behind.

The most effective adblocker. No "acceptable ads".
Surf safe and never be sorry!

Works for me with FF running in Linux.

Bucky Breeder

May 24, 2022, 9:24:58 AM5/24/22
<th...@NoPlace.com> posted this :

> How does one change the default browser from Firefox to another?

Cleverlly hidden setting by the Microsoft gurus:

Via the Windows button or Start button >

Settings > Apps > Default apps > Web browser

When you click (or clack) (or whack) the existing button, Settings will
proffer you a list of available installed alternatives on a pop-up menu...
It might also offer you a trip to the Microsoft store to "shop" for a free
app.

You might want to install an alternate browser if none of the available are
suitable for your intentions - because your system may require a reboot
prior to displaying the option.

Once all that gets sorted out, simply click the one you like, then switch
as your needs dictate.

--

I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^;

And *NO*, that is *NOT* a Jedi Light Saber I have in my pocket!

But that doesn't necessarily mean I'm happy to see you either.

Unsteadyken

May 24, 2022, 11:04:16 AM5/24/22
In article <s4rp8h920dgmva5ti...@4ax.com>,

me...@frisco.org says...

> The choices in there do not contain MyPal.

Mypal claims to be based on Pale Moon.

In Pale Moon preferences/General there is an option to: "Make Pale Moon
the default browser"
Is this not available in Mypal?

--
Ken

Mike Easter

May 24, 2022, 11:08:15 AM5/24/22
me...@frisco.org wrote:
> App setting not on my XP Pro SP3
>
> Settings only leads to Control Panel.
>
> Been there before. The choices in there do not contain MyPal.

On my XP (Media Center, SP3) CP/ Folder options/ File types tab/ and
there are a variety of selections such as URL, html, which can have a
browser. The function takes you to a Open with window. If your desired
browser is MyPal and it doesn't appear in there you have to navigate to
where the app lives which default starts in Program files.

--
Mike Easter

Mike Easter

May 24, 2022, 11:11:59 AM5/24/22
Unsteadyken wrote:
> Mypal claims to be based on Pale Moon.
>
> In Pale Moon preferences/General there is an option to: "Make Pale Moon
> the default browser"
> Is this not available in Mypal?

I think that is a better way to do it; likely it makes some change in
the registry.

--
Mike Easter

Nic

May 24, 2022, 11:20:08 AM5/24/22
On 5/24/22 10:23 AM, me...@frisco.org wrote:
> On Tue, 24 May 2022 06:35:43 -0400, Nic <N...@none.net> wrote:
>
>> th...@NoPlace.com wrote:

>> AdBlocker Ultimate
>> AND ALL ANNOYING ADS ARE OUT!
>>
> Site says it's not for 32 bit.

That's too bad, it is a nice program.

Mike Easter

May 24, 2022, 12:21:22 PM5/24/22
me...@frisco.org wrote:
> What is in General preferences in MyPal is "Restore To Default" But
> selecting that changes nothing.

I've been reading about browsers in XP and about MyPal and the brouhaha
between the dev who forked MyPal from PaleMoon and the PM dev/s which
resulted in MyPal being pulled in '21 Sep which got a lot of discussion
in reddit and then that dev released a MyPal68 which is NOT based on PM.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/browser-secure-old-windows-xp-system/
Updated May 04, 2021 Which Browser Is Most Secure on an Old Windows XP
System? <ans: none>

<wp PM>
> Mypal, by Feodor2, maintained support for Windows XP and kept general
> parity with the latest Pale Moon 28 and 29 releases.[95] Mypal was
> abandoned in 2021 after a significant licensing dispute between its
> developer and the Pale Moon team over another one of Feodor2's
> products, Centaury. The event generated great controversy among Pale
> Moon contributors, users, and speculators,[63][96] ultimately
> resulting in reduced availability of the Pale Moon source code for
> some time.[97] Feodor2 later launched the Mypal68 project, which does
> not fork Pale Moon and is not to be confused with the original
> Mypal.[98]

https://www.reddit.com/r/windowsxp/comments/pg0rl7/sad_day_xp_users_mypal_is_officially_no_more/
Sad day XP users, Mypal is officially no more <long discussion>

https://www.mypal-browser.org/
<mypal68>
> Based on Firefox Quantum
>
> New Mypal is still unstable but you may download it and try.

<PM mypal>

--
Mike Easter

Mike Easter

May 24, 2022, 12:23:15 PM5/24/22
me...@frisco.org wrote:
> when I go to Media Center from the Start Menu

No. I meant my XP release was called 'Media Center' (a Pro derivative)
-- I was describing navigating from CP which means control panel etc...

--
Mike Easter

Mike Easter

May 24, 2022, 12:52:07 PM5/24/22
me...@frisco.org wrote:
> MyPal is a lot quicker.
I installed the old 29.3 32bit v of MyPal; during installation it asks
if I want MyPal to be the defaul and I answered yes; I did NOT choose to
use the portable installation.

Also, another way to make MyPal default is to get into Preferences,
choose the Advanced section then the General tab and next to the last
item called System defaults is 'Always check to see if Mypal is the
default browser on startup and it reports mypal is currently your
default browser.

> As I said before, I think Firefox needs uninstalling/reinstalling.

There is an advantage to having an alternate browser besides IE. I think
you can fix this.

BTW, what kind of resources does your XP machine have; does it have 2G
of ram?

--
Mike Easter

Mike Easter

May 24, 2022, 2:19:02 PM5/24/22
me...@frisco.org wrote:
> The following compliments of Belarc Advisor.

That section doesn't report the ram. In the R column where you got that
paste is a section called Memory Modules which reports each slot

https://belarc-advisor.software.informer.com/screenshot/

2002 cpu ddr 200

It might not be much ram.

--
Mike Easter

Mike Easter

May 24, 2022, 2:33:48 PM5/24/22
me...@frisco.org wrote:
> Slot 'A0' has 2048 MB
> Slot 'A1' is Empty
> Slot 'A2' has 2048 MB
> Slot 'A3' is Empty

Good; it has 4G of ram.

If you have to use Ffx sometimes, it can be tweaked/configured for
better performance.

That rig can also boot any live linux you wanted to try from a USB w/o
bothering your Win hdd install.

Your mobo can support 16G of ram if there were 4G in each slot, but I
wouldn't bother.

--
Mike Easter

s|b

May 24, 2022, 4:35:43 PM5/24/22
On Mon, 23 May 2022 19:27:43 -0500, th...@NoPlace.com wrote:

> Does Brave demand you watch commercials while viewing a music video on
> YouTube?

That's what I use this for (under Fx):
<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/enhancer-for-youtube/>

But you have to click a button to skip the ads (better than watching
them).

--
s|b

s|b

May 24, 2022, 4:38:23 PM5/24/22
On Mon, 23 May 2022 16:34:09 -0500, th...@NoPlace.com wrote:

> How does one change the default browser from Firefox to another?

Which browser do you want to make default? Also, have you tried
startpage.com (or Google) with this?

change [insert browser] to default browser

Should give the correct answer (if you're willing to make the effort
that is).

--
s|b

David Brooks

May 24, 2022, 7:07:15 PM5/24/22
On 24/05/2022 01:27, th...@NoPlace.com wrote:
> Does Brave demand you watch commercials while viewing a music video on
> YouTube?

I tried this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzE-kVadtNw

There was no advertisement.

Bucky Breeder

May 25, 2022, 10:39:55 AM5/25/22
<me...@frisco.org> posted this :

> On Tue, 24 May 2022 13:24:53 GMT, Bucky Breeder
> <Breeder_Bucky-Breeder@That's.my.name_Don't.wear.it.out> wrote:
>
>> <th...@NoPlace.com> posted this :
>>
>>> How does one change the default browser from Firefox to another?
>>
>>Cleverlly hidden setting by the Microsoft gurus:
>>
>>Via the Windows button or Start button >
>>
>> Settings > Apps > Default apps > Web browser
>>

> App setting not on my XP Pro SP3
>
> Settings only leads to Control Panel.
>
> Been there before. The choices in there do not contain MyPal.

Even omitting the vital element of information, to wit, "my XP Pro SP3"
from the OP, it's not a very big leap to substitute "Default Programs"...

In Windows XP: Go to [Start] > Control Panel [I kept access to mine on the
desktop] > Select Add/Remove Programs > on the left, click Set Program
Access and defaults > Right-Click on the Custom > Jump to Choose the
Default Web Browser > and choose your desired browser from the list.

*IF* MyPal is really not listed, then you may want to either keep it status
quo or UNINSTALL it, then choose another default browser, then REINSTALL it
later, but opt-out or skip "Make MyPal Your Default Browser" option... or
words to that effect, unless you're being a PITA on purpose.

*IF* MyPal is deviating from MSFT's routine for some reason, inasmuch as it
purports to be designed specifically for Windows XP, then you may want to
contemplate a "Risks versus Gains" analysis on when, where, why, how, and
whether you'd be benefited by having MyPal installed in the first place.

It's called either an 'Approach-Approach' or and 'Approach-Avoidance'
conflict. *You* might could construe it into an 'Avoidance-Avoidance'
conflict - but you'd need deep pyschiatric assistance to resolve that.

s|b

May 25, 2022, 3:55:44 PM5/25/22
On Tue, 24 May 2022 17:47:21 -0500, me...@frisco.org wrote:

> MyPal has the same nonsense. But I don't want to be forced to watch
> even 10 seconds of a commercial before the 'skip' button appears.

That's what the add-on is for. To skip the add /before/ 10 seconds are
over.

> They even break into the music with commercials if the song is long
> enough. That is total GREED.

Yeah, I'm getting fed up with that too. They only do that to sell you a
subscription.

> I NEVER see a commercial of any kind with my Firefox 52.9.0.

Please, tell us how you do that, because I'm running Pi-Hole and every
now and then I get an add.

--
s|b

wasbit

May 26, 2022, 5:26:07 AM5/26/22
"s|b" <m...@privacy.invalid> wrote in message
Presumably an ad blocker for your browser.
Ublock Origin in Pale Moon works for me. Haven't seen an advert on Youtube
in years.

--
Regards
wasbit

May 26, 2022, 9:28:34 AM5/26/22
On Thu, 26 May 2022 10:25:54 +0100, "wasbit" <wasbit...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Ublock Origin in Pale Moon works for me. Haven't seen an advert on Youtube
>in years.

Pale Moon 29.4.6 portable install works fine on my old Win 7 and new
Win 10 PCs (I tried Pale Moon 30.x but it won't load cached off-line
pages for some reason).

https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/adblock-latitude/

"Adblock Latitude
By: Pale Moon Add-ons Team
About this add-on
Adblock Latitude is a direct fork of Adblock Plus made specifically for the Pale Moon
and Basilisk browsers.
Adblock Latitude is designed to be a drop-in replacement for ABP and will utilize all
your existing settings. However, ABL is more than that. It does not compromise by
removing the hard coded Acceptable Ads feature.
If you have a previous installation of any version of Adblock Plus or Adblock Edge,
you will have to uninstall these as they will conflict with ABL." [end quote]

https://ublockorigin.com/

"uBlock Origin - Free, open-source ad content blocker.
Easy on CPU and memory."
uBlock Origin is not just an "ad blocker", it's a wide-spectrum content blocker with
CPU and memory efficiency as a primary feature."

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=ublock+origin+vs+adblock+plus

s|b

May 26, 2022, 3:09:51 PM5/26/22
On Thu, 26 May 2022 10:25:54 +0100, wasbit wrote:

> Presumably an ad blocker for your browser.
> Ublock Origin in Pale Moon works for me. Haven't seen an advert on Youtube
> in years.

So uBlock Origin can block ads within the player? How?

--
s|b

mike

May 26, 2022, 10:37:10 PM5/26/22