Alternative for SUMo (terminated)

s|b

Nov 2, 2023, 10:08:12 AM11/2/23
I'm looking for an alternative for SUMo. Apparently, the company is
terminated.

<https://www.kcsoftwares.com/?page=postinstall&sw=SUMo>

<quote>

Termination notice

KC Softwares activities are to be terminated by end of October 2023.
All products are to be considered as End-Of-Life (EOL) on October 31st
2023.
Sales are stopped.

</quote>

I had a look at Chocolatey which seems ... complicated. Is Patch My PC
any good?

I just want to scan if my software is up-to-date. The program doesn't
have to be able to update all outdated programs.

--
s|b

s|b

Nov 2, 2023, 10:13:34 AM11/2/23
On Thu, 02 Nov 2023 15:08:04 +0100, s|b wrote:

> I'm looking for an alternative for SUMo. Apparently, the company is
> terminated.
>
> <https://www.kcsoftwares.com/?page=postinstall&sw=SUMo>

It seems I missed a (cross)posting about it:

| From: Wally J <walte...@invalid.nospam>

FYI that needs to be .invalid (or simply a valid address) if you want to
keep on using ES.

| Newsgroups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.os.windows-10

This is why I missed it: Agent is set up to filter crosspostings to more
than 2 newsgroups.

| Subject: Get Sumo/Dumo & other free utils while you can as they seem to be disappearing at the end of the month
| Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 01:12:32 -0400

Damn. )-:

--
s|b

Nov 2, 2023, 10:49:44 AM11/2/23
On Thu, 02 Nov 2023 15:13:25 +0100, "s|b" <m...@privacy.invalid> wrote:
>Agent is set up to filter

40tude Dialog v2.0.15.84 (4d2b38.exe 3.8 MB; "dialog.exe" dated 7 Feb 2005)
https://download.freedownloadmanager.org/Windows-PC/40tude-Dialog/FREE.html
for Windows is the easiest newsreader to setup and use, an oldie but goodie
and best of all it's freeware, fully-featured with familiar hamster scoring:

40tude Dialog "Help"[F1], "Scoring/Actions Syntax" explains how this works:
>Scoring and actions is one of Dialog's most powerful features. The syntax
>and actually most of the code is from Jurgen Haible's excellent local mail-
>and newsserver Hamster.
>What is Scoring?
>Scoring is the process of assigning a number between -9999 and +9999 to a
>message by applying scoring rules to the message. A scoring rule usually
>analyzes one header field of the message and if it this header field matches
>a certain text, a score value is assigned. For example, you can create a
>scoring rule that assign the highest score value +9999 to all messages that
>have your email address in the From header field, so that your messages
>always receive a score of +9999.
>The score value is shown in the header list in green for positive scores
>and in red for negative scores:
>Note that the list of headers can be sorted by score (with or without
>threading), so scoring can be used to visually organize and separate
>important from unimportant messages...."
[end quote]

s|b

Nov 2, 2023, 11:24:36 AM11/2/23
On Thu, 2 Nov 2023 15:49:35 +0100 (CET), D wrote:

> 40tude Dialog v2.0.15.84 (4d2b38.exe 3.8 MB; "dialog.exe" dated 7 Feb 2005)
> https://download.freedownloadmanager.org/Windows-PC/40tude-Dialog/FREE.html
> for Windows is the easiest newsreader to setup and use, an oldie but goodie
> and best of all it's freeware, fully-featured with familiar hamster scoring:

I'm the one who set up the filter in Agent. Do you really think I can't
change/disable it?

--
s|b

AllanH

Nov 4, 2023, 6:57:42 AM11/4/23
One possibility is SecTeer VulnDetect, a replacement for the EoL Secunia
PSI.
It's free for personal use.
Registration with an email address is required.
I used a temporary email address created at https://www.emailondeck.com/

Home Page
https://secteer.com/vulndetect/

Download
https://vulndetect.com/dl/secteerSetup.exe

s|b

Nov 6, 2023, 11:07:34 AM11/6/23
On Sat, 4 Nov 2023 05:57:35 -0500, AllanH wrote:

> One possibility is SecTeer VulnDetect, a replacement for the EoL Secunia
> PSI.

I couldn't remember the name of the program I used before SUMo; it's
Secunia PSI. Why do these programs end badly?

> It's free for personal use.

That's a plus.

> Registration with an email address is required.
> I used a temporary email address created at https://www.emailondeck.com/

It says 'free trial'. Will it stop working after a period of time?

--
s|b

AllanH

Nov 6, 2023, 11:49:18 AM11/6/23
There's a license.txt file in the Installation folder.
It looks like Personal Use is the only limitation.
It also tells you that on the Login Page
https://vulndetect.com/#/

occam

Nov 7, 2023, 2:08:27 AM11/7/23
This program fails to install with an "Unable to connect to the network"
message. (This, after I have created my account with VulnDetect, with a
valid email, and confirmed it.)

I have checked, my Windows firewall control has no blocks.

Anyone else having the same problem?

AllanH

Nov 7, 2023, 2:33:46 PM11/7/23
There is information about VulnDetect in the FAQ, including System
Requirements, that may be helpful.

https://secteer.com/faq/

occam

Nov 8, 2023, 6:46:28 AM11/8/23
Thank you but the FAQ was of no help. (I'm using vanilla Win 10 OS.).
There is a 'community' page on the same site, but that did not reveal
any solutions either - because no one has flagged the issue.

I've decided I'm not too fussed about VulnDetect. I use PortableApps.com
for most of my (portable) software. That does the job admirably, even
tough I do miss the services of SUMO.

occam

Nov 8, 2023, 6:46:50 AM11/8/23

s|b

Nov 11, 2023, 11:50:52 AM11/11/23
On Mon, 6 Nov 2023 10:49:12 -0600, AllanH wrote:

> There's a license.txt file in the Installation folder.
> It looks like Personal Use is the only limitation.
> It also tells you that on the Login Page
> https://vulndetect.com/#/

Tnx. Will look into it later. For now, I'm using PatchMyPC, although I
have the impression it's missing a lot of things.

--
s|b

wasbit

Nov 12, 2023, 4:04:37 AM11/12/23
On 04/11/2023 10:57, AllanH wrote:
> On 11/2/2023 9:08 AM, s|b wrote:
>> I'm looking for an alternative for SUMo. Apparently, the company is
>> terminated.
>>
>> snip <<

Snappy Driver Installer Origin
For missing drivers or driver updates.
Especially good for after an install of Windows where you don't have the
motherboard driver CD.
I carry a portable version on a pen drive but be warned, its 32GB+.

- https://www.glenn.delahoy.com/snappy-driver-installer-origin/

--
Regards
wasbit

wasbit

Nov 13, 2023, 4:34:22 AM11/13/23
Edit:
The programme itself takes up little room.
It's 32GB+, only if you download all the updates.

--
Regards
wasbit