WAU Manager

AllanH

Feb 17, 2024, 3:13:48 PMFeb 17
"WAU Manager (Windows Automatic Updates Manager) is a fully featured replacement for the built in Windows Updating interface. This tool gives you full control of the Windows Updates, such as when and how they are installed, and has full uninstall and maintenance support for Windows updates.

Note: We recently renewed our code signing certificate, so you may get a Smart Screen warning saying the file is not commonly downloaded and may harm your computer. Please ignore the warning and chose to keep the file anyway."

Updated to Version 3.5.2.0

Home Page
https://www.carifred.com/wau_manager/

There are other Freeware programs on their Web site
https://www.carifred.com/

--
Using Opera's mail client:
https://web.archive.org/web/20130226002115/http://www.opera.com/mail/

VanguardLH

Feb 17, 2024, 6:06:12 PMFeb 17
AllanH <nos...@unokix.invalid> wrote:

> "WAU Manager (Windows Automatic Updates Manager) is a fully featured replacement for the built in Windows Updating interface. This tool gives you full control of the Windows Updates, such as when and how they are installed, and has full uninstall and maintenance support for Windows updates.
>
> Note: We recently renewed our code signing certificate, so you may get a Smart Screen warning saying the file is not commonly downloaded and may harm your computer. Please ignore the warning and chose to keep the file anyway."
>
> Updated to Version 3.5.2.0
>
> Home Page
> https://www.carifred.com/wau_manager/
>
> There are other Freeware programs on their Web site
> https://www.carifred.com/

WSUSoffline was a means of archiving all the updates for a Windows
version, so you could later do a fresh install of Windows, and apply all
the updates recorded by WSUSoffline instead of having to incrementally
do updating via the WU (Windows Update) client. However, WSUSoffline
discontinued updating their product due to changes in Microsoft's WU
server.

https://gitlab.com/wsusoffline/wsusoffline/-/releases

WSUSoffline was never an officially sanctioned (by Microsoft) update
tool. I have Windows 10 Home x64 22H2. The standard WSUSoffline
(https://download.wsusoffline.net/) lists Windows 10 1909 aka 19H2
released in Nov 2019 as the last Windows 10 version it will retrieve and
archive updates. The latest community edition of WSUSoffline at
https://gitlab.com/wsusoffline lista 20H2 as the last verion of Windows
10 it will download updates to archive. Windows 10 22H2 was released
Nov 2022 (15 months ago). Windows 11 isn't even listed in WSUSoffline.
Unclear if the author of WSUSoffline decided to abandon his project, or
he was forced to drop his project due to changes at Microsoft's WU
server (same one to which the WU client in Windows connects).

If WSUSoffline (standard or community editions) cannot query and
retrieve updates from Microsoft for the latest version of Windows 10 and
11, how can WUA? While the online help for WUA mentions Windows 10,
there is no mention of Windows 11. Which old or latest versions of
Windows, and which service levels of each since Microsoft drops support
for old one, are not mentioned.

https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/wau_manager.html

Claims WAU supports Windows 7, 8, 10, and 11 but no mention of service
packs/levels for each. The GUI for WUA can show a list of updates it
applies, but will the WU update history also get updated? Some programs
review the WU update history to determine if any are missing or should
be applied, like Nirsoft's Windows Updates History Viewer or
WinUpdatesList tools. Would we end up having to search through 2
updates history lists: one for the WU client, and another for WUA?

As in the past with the WU client, you could mark hidden some updates
that did not apply to your setup. You didn't have or uninstalled the
components that an update would target, so you could hide them.
However, Microsoft circumvented their hide flag by releasing new
versions of an update. You don't want an update, you hide it, the
update reappears later as a new version of itself. Hiding was by
version of the update. WUA can hide updates. Does it hide all future
versions of the same update?

To see how old is WUA Manager, I hunted at web.archive.org on the
https://www.carifred.com/wau_manager/ web page. Oldest copy found was
back on Oct 9, 2019:

http://web.archive.org/web/20191009125050/https://www.carifred.com/wau_manager/

That was for version 1.0.0.0. WUA Manager is now up to version 3.5.2.0.
I didn't see any forums available to get author or peer support, just a
web form to request help. They have forums for their UltraVirusKiller
(UVK) product, but not for their other products. Use WUA Manager at
your own risk, and self-taught.

John C.

Feb 18, 2024, 7:36:11 AMFeb 18
Interesting and well-thought-out post, VLH. Thanks. This topic should be
of interest to those (like me) running older versions of Windows and who
would like to do a fresh reinstall of the OS and any installed programs.

--
John C. No ad, CD, cripple, demo, nag, pay, pirated, share, spy,
time-limited, trial or web wares for me please.

So that I don't see them, I filter out:
-crossposts (sent to multiple newsgroups) at a time
-posts sent via Google Groups* due to spam from that source
-trolls (eg. "Bucky Breeder" and his many sock puppets)

If you do the same, the group will be easier for you to read.