DuckDuckGo Privacy Browser app does not block Microsoft trackers

John C.

May 26, 2022, 10:40:07 AM5/26/22
DuckDuckGo Privacy Browser isn't totally private, a security researcher
has revealed. The privacy-focused search engine's app, for iOS and
Android, is not blocking trackers from Microsoft.

The news came to light when security researcher, Zach Edwards, who was
conducting a security audit of the browser, found that the app blocked
trackers from Google and Facebook. He observed that the app didn't block
Microsoft trackers. Screenshots and messages posted by Edwards on
Twitter reveal that the app let the trackers run on Bing and LinkedIn's
domains. This in turn puts the user's privacy at risk, since the Redmond
company can collect information such as the IP address, user agent, and
other relevant data.

The app includes, among other things, a tracker blocker and a cookie
blocker to protect the privacy of users. The description of DuckDuckGo
Privacy Browser on the App Store and Google Play Store reads as follows,

"Escape Website Tracking - Tracker Radar automatically blocks hidden
third-party trackers we can find lurking on websites you visit in
DuckDuckGo, which stops the companies behind those trackers from
collecting and selling your data."

When an app has a description like that, you would expect it to apply to
all websites, wouldn't you? That's why the fact that it doesn't block
Microsoft's trackers is a problem, it should have been upfront about the
issue.

Full article is here:
https://www.ghacks.net/2022/05/25/duckduckgo-privacy-browser-app-does-not-block-microsoft-trackers/
--
John C. BS206. No ad, CD, commercial, cripple, demo, nag, pirated,
share, spy, time-limited, trial or web wares for me please. I filter out

Nic

May 26, 2022, 11:34:11 AM5/26/22
Is this true for users who use Linux? What I am asking is this a problem
for people who use m$ or is it a problem of DDG? Does it apply to
desktop environments or is an ios and android os's?

VanguardLH

May 26, 2022, 6:16:04 PM5/26/22
John C. wrote:

> DuckDuckGo Privacy Browser isn't totally private, a security researcher
> has revealed. The privacy-focused search engine's app, for iOS and
> Android, is not blocking trackers from Microsoft.
>
> https://www.ghacks.net/2022/05/25/duckduckgo-privacy-browser-app-does-not-block-microsoft-trackers/

Firefox using the puny Disconnect.me blacklist for its ETP (Enhanced
Tracking Protection) feature doesn't block all the baddies, either.
That's why you install an ad/content blocker. I use uBlock Origin.
DDG's browser doesn't allow installing add-ons?

VanguardLH

May 26, 2022, 6:24:17 PM5/26/22
John C. wrote:

> DuckDuckGo Privacy Browser isn't totally private, a security researcher
> has revealed. The privacy-focused search engine's app, for iOS and
> Android, is not blocking trackers from Microsoft.
> https://www.ghacks.net/2022/05/25/duckduckgo-privacy-browser-app-does-not-block-microsoft-trackers/

Found this:

https://www.theregister.com/2022/05/25/duckduckgo_browser_microsoft_privacy/
"With regard to the company's browsers, he said DuckDuckGo blocks
Microsoft third-party cookies (used for ad tracking) on third-party
websites, but acknowledged there are some trackers (scripts used for
tracking) that DuckDuckGo's browsers do not block due to contractual
commitments with Microsoft."
and
"Unfortunately our Microsoft search syndication agreement prevents us
from doing more to Microsoft-owned properties."

Probably due to DDG using Bing for web searches.

Note: For Firefox, disable pre-fetching to eliminate a workaround to uBO
blocking the untoward resources.

https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Dashboard:-Settings#disable-pre-fetching

John C.

May 27, 2022, 12:46:00 PM5/27/22
Don't know. I use Firefox with uBlock Origin.